It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board

• 20 month old does not talk or babble

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
    chocolatelvr
    (female)

chocolatelvr HB User
    20 month old does not talk or babble

My nephew is 20 months. He has never babbled and does not talk. He is VERY quiet. The only noise he makes is fake crying when he wants something and he will laugh when tickled. Most of the time he is engaged in exploring/touching. He is very physically active with excellent balance/mobility. I know he can hear, but does not listen to demands such as "No".

My niece was anorexic for many years right up through several months of pregnancy. She also smoked marijuana during pregnancy. The child was born without a uvula (the punching bag thing in your throat).

She is not honest with the pediatrician about her son's development (has lied and said he talks). I urge her to be honest so her son can get properly evaluated, but she is very sensitive on the subject. She insists her son is a "free spirit" and a "self-learner". She does not mimic words for him to repeat or teach him anything. She has kept him in front of the tv since birth.

I'm at a loss. What could this be? A combination of poor prenatal care and poor parenting? A learning/developmental disability? The parent doesn't want to admit anything is wrong. I feel she is doing this child a severe injustice by not teaching him things and not getting him the help he needs. She keeps him isolated from people & is even saying she wants to home school him yikes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: 20 month old does not talk or babble

This is indeed a touchy subject, and your concerns are very valid. It is always difficult to convince a parent who is in denial that something is wrong with their child that needs addressed. Is there a father of the child in the picture that you could appeal to? Would your niece permit you to go to the baby's check-up visits with them? Does she talk to her child at all? Perhaps you could offer to babysit her son for a few days and see what happens when you try to engage him in "conversation". How are you certain he hears appropriately? He may need formal hearing testing to be sure, but it could be just a lack of someone talking to (with) him, and teaching him words. His hearing may be involved, especially if he has had frequent ear infections as a baby. You are in a tough situation, but I would be gently persistent in trying to get her to see the reality of this problem, and model proper interactive behavior as far as talking, teaching, and getting the TV turned off. If she would consider pre-school for him, the teachers will call attention to the problem as well and you won't be fighting for him alone. You can also call the child's Dr and let him/her know your concerns. They can listen to what YOU have to say, just can't tell you anything about him. That way, next visit, they'll pay closer attention to his lack of verbalizing.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
    chocolatelvr
    (female)

chocolatelvr HB User

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is so sad and frustrating. I have attempted each thing that you listed without success. The only thing I have not done was to contact her pediatrician only because I don't know who he is. The child has not had a single ear infection. As far as "knowing" for sure that he can hear; I guess I only assume this because of his actions. He has toys that make noise. He re-pushes the button whenever the toy stops making noise because he wants to hear it. I think this is a non-professional way of testing his hearing lol I neglected to mention his diet. He is only given raisins, milk, children's cookies, and dry cereal. He's given snacks, not full nutritional meals. Sadly, she does not allow Anyone to babysit; not even the child's loving grandmother. Myself and other aunts have offered repeatedly to assist her this way; and she refuses. Well, I appreciate your response.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

This may be extreme but perhaps you should consider calling child protective services....

Old 06-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
    Jefferysghost
    (male)

Jefferysghost HB User

Autism? I had to practically drag my wife through the evaluation process for our daughter. My wife was convinced that if something was wrong with our little girl, it HAD to be the moms fault (I'm not trying to imply anything with you, other than, some parents have a very difficult time admitting that their child needs help). After the evaluation (and subsequent diagnosis), she can't believe that who overlooked all these signs and is grateful I pushed it through. Good luck.

Closed Thread