It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board

• concerned about 7yr olds learning and memory

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
    troubled mom
    (female)

troubled mom HB User
    concerned about 7yr olds learning and memory

My son is 7 and is repeating first grade this year because he is struggling with reading and spelling. He doesn't recognize basic sight words and chunks even after going over and over with them. He has been diagnosed with a eye tracking issue and we do therapy every night for this but haven't seen the improvements we would like to see. He has been tutored weekly for almost a year and was in Title 1 last year for reading, but since he is repeating 1st this year, he doesn't qualify for that again. He is very active and socially mature (for a 7 year old), he doesn't have relationship problems. He loves school and wants to read. At school he is able to sit still in class, but at home or for his tutor - he is fidgety and can't seem to stay focused.

The school is telling me he is too young to be tested for learning disabilities, but they did agree to complete the Conner's test (for ADD/ADAH).

Of course I have been concerned and I am trying everything I can to find out what is going on. My gut tells me that there is something keeping him from retaining what he is learning.

On top of this, he is growth hormone deficient and has been on growth hormone therapy for 2 years.

This week, while doing his tracking exercises I asked him to say his ABC's...which he learned in preK. He couldn't get past L. I asked him to write the ABC vs. telling me them and he struggled with that as well. Every day this week we have been working him and he is still struggling with this.

This really troubles me as I can't understand how he doesn't remember something he learned more than 2 years ago and has used every day at school. What am I missing????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
    WifenMommy
    (female)

WifenMommy HB User
    Re: concerned about 7yr olds learning and memory

I don't have any answers for you, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone. My 5 year old does the exact same thing as your son, and like you we work with her every night, but she still doesn't get the sight words or retain them. Math and numbers came very easy to her and she knew her numbers at 2 and by 4 she could do some basic math in her head, but if you put any kind of letters, words in front of her she goes to pieces and like you I just cannot understand it. Sorry this got so long I just wanted to tell you I can feel your pain and you are not alone. If I learn anything more about what is causing hers, I will be sure to let you know.

Hugs to you, I know how scary and worrisome this can be.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
    mysterygurl
    (female)

mysterygurl HB User
    Re: concerned about 7yr olds learning and memory

my sister had issues kind of like that she has dyslexia and is now in college

Closed Thread