It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

Worried mom ... does this sound like leukemia?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2017, 01:04 AM   #1
Fsm726
(female)

Fsm726 HB User
Worried mom ... does this sound like leukemia?

Please help! I'm a mom to an almost 4 year old, and I am worried sick about recent symptoms my daughter has been experiencing. For months now, my daughter had had bruising on her legs that just doesn't go away. Most bruises are small, but it's worrisome because there hasn't been a day that her legs have been free of bruises. At first I tried to dismiss it and convince myself that they are from normal child's play. However, this week alone she has experienced a series of symptoms beginning on Monday with a fever of 103. I took her to the urgent care where they diagnosed her with strep throat. She's been on amoxicillin since. The following (Tuesday) night, I noticed a sort of phlegmy cough and stuffy nose. Then on Thursday she had a sever nosebleed, and I freaked. I took her to the ER where they told me it was dry Nasal passages. I took her to a new pediatrician (since her previous doctor scoffed at me when I presented concern about bruising/ leukemia some months ago). This new pediatrician was so understanding. They did a CBC, and most things were in the normal range, although closer to the lower range. Anemia was the only one out of range, by about a tenth of a Point, or something along the lines. Let's say, if the normal is 13.5, my daughter was at 13.4. She has also been sweating quite profusely at night, as she sleeps. The doctor told me that her blood work is normal and that I shouldn't worry. And I'm trying to convince myself that it is so. However, my daughter has never been a sickly child and it concerns me that so many ailments have occurred in matter of just Days. Are blood tests always indicative of leukemia? Am I over worrying? I'm wondering if leukemia can be present despite "normal" bloodwork. My husband thinks I am exaggerating, but it's not that. I just knowbthst with most cancers, the earlier, the better. Please advise. I'm worried sick. My daughter has an appointment next week to ensure that her strep throat has cleared, and I'm thinking of re questing another CBC to make sure that her blood counts are not on a decline. Please advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Worried mom ... does this sound like leukemia?

Yes, blood tests show Leukemia...at the very least her WBC would be highly elevated!
If this new doctors says her labs are where they should be; chances are this is all from the strep throat. Strep can be very symptomatic especially in children. Keep her on the antibiotics and she should improve.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Gail84
(female)

Gail84 HB User

Could just be a virus. I would ask for a repeat CBC with differential ( usually they do this) A child with leukemia will get back to back infections, ear, strep ... some kids don't bruise at all and it takes awhile
Formit to show up in blood work, but not much longer than a month. Watch the platelets they are usually the first to drop, HGB( hemoglobin ) small drops like 12.1 to 11.9 are not concerning big drops like 12 to suddenly 9 are, you would notice he being pale, lips will be tinged blue. Your a good mom. Could be she caught a nasty bug. When they do he check up and check her belly( when they thump it and squish it around) ask them if her spleen/liver feels enlarged at all. They tend to do that in an exam and never say anything. Also kids with leukemia usually will have something called "petechiae" which is tiny pin ***** red dots from low platelets.
Hope she is feeling better soon. Oh WBC (white blood count) isn't always highly elevated it can actually be a little low sometimes but usually it is elevated.

Last edited by Gail84; 06-02-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Gail84
(female)

Gail84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsm726 View Post
Please help! I'm a mom to an almost 4 year old, and I am worried sick about recent symptoms my daughter has been experiencing. For months now, my daughter had had bruising on her legs that just doesn't go away. Most bruises are small, but it's worrisome because there hasn't been a day that her legs have been free of bruises. At first I tried to dismiss it and convince myself that they are from normal child's play. However, this week alone she has experienced a series of symptoms beginning on Monday with a fever of 103. I took her to the urgent care where they diagnosed her with strep throat. She's been on amoxicillin since. The following (Tuesday) night, I noticed a sort of phlegmy cough and stuffy nose. Then on Thursday she had a sever nosebleed, and I freaked. I took her to the ER where they told me it was dry Nasal passages. I took her to a new pediatrician (since her previous doctor scoffed at me when I presented concern about bruising/ leukemia some months ago). This new pediatrician was so understanding. They did a CBC, and most things were in the normal range, although closer to the lower range. Anemia was the only one out of range, by about a tenth of a Point, or something along the lines. Let's say, if the normal is 13.5, my daughter was at 13.4. She has also been sweating quite profusely at night, as she sleeps. The doctor told me that her blood work is normal and that I shouldn't worry. And I'm trying to convince myself that it is so. However, my daughter has never been a sickly child and it concerns me that so many ailments have occurred in matter of just Days. Are blood tests always indicative of leukemia? Am I over worrying? I'm wondering if leukemia can be present despite "normal" bloodwork. My husband thinks I am exaggerating, but it's not that. I just knowbthst with most cancers, the earlier, the better. Please advise. I'm worried sick. My daughter has an appointment next week to ensure that her strep throat has cleared, and I'm thinking of re questing another CBC to make sure that her blood counts are not on a decline. Please advise.
Hope she is feeling better now😊

Reply Reply