It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

blood count help

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
BeeZeemom
(female)

BeeZeemom HB User
Worried DD has leukemia

I'd like some advice about my daughter.

This story starts in September.

In mid September my daughter went on a 1.5 km run with her dad for a sporting event. 2 days after she was limping and in pain. The next day she was still limping and we went to the GP who sent her for an x-ray to see if there was a fracture or break. No fracture or break detected, but the radiologist thought he saw avascular necrosis. The next week my daughter had a bone scan, and the week after a repeat x-ray. After these 4 weeks the limping stopped and the orthopedic surgeon didn't feel she had anything to be concerned about (they were looking for perthes disease)

During the week of the bone scan (Oct 4) she developed Croup. No fever, just a barking cough. This cough lasted until December 15 when she got severe croup and a 104.2 temperature. After 5 days of these temps we went to the e.r. (walk in GP suspected virus but she looked sooooo sick I wanted her examined again) after a chest x-ray the radiologist saw pneumonia and she was put on antibiotics and her fever came down. During the exam the doctor saw petechia on the roof of her mouth so assumed she had scarlet fever or strep. She had neither.

Over the 10 days of antibiotics and subsequent 5 days since they ended(bringing us to now) she has been tired, preferring to spend most of her day on the couch. She did manage to go to school yesterday, ad she played a bit this morning. So I do believe her energy level is perking up. She has been very very very cranky. I started checking her temps because I thought she was getting sick again. SHe is regularly getting temps of 37.8 in her ear. Technically, that's not a fever, so I haven't mentioned it to her doctor. BUt, the last 2 evenigs her temps have gone to 38.1 and 38.2 so a very low grade fever. She looks pretty pale. The last 2 nights she has had night sweats where she is getting pretty wet. Her hair, her shirt, and her pillow is covered in sweat. She is also complaining of leg and hip pain but it never lasts and hasn't resulted in a limp since September.

Should I wait and see how she is over the next week or so and if she doesn't get sicker chaulk it up to recovering from pneumonia (which she had a clear chest x ray 2 days ago) or a new virus, or does this sound more sinister and needs to be looked after? I don't want to worry over nothing or subject my daughter to unnecessarily blood tests.

The following user gives a hug of support to BeeZeemom:
Harri3t (01-04-2018)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
Re: Worried DD has leukemia

I don't think this is sinister but I do believe in mom radar. You know your kid best. You're worried and I think you'd feel a lot better running this past her doctor. You'll end up worrying less in the long run which is better for your daughter, too.

Between the low grade temps, the fatigue, paleness, and night sweats it sounds like something is going on. Even if it turns out to be just a virus, let the doctor decide to see or not. And if a couple of blood tests are needed, you'll both survive .

Wishing you both good health and a good night's rest. Please let us know how things turn out.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
BeeZeemom
(female)

BeeZeemom HB User
Re: Worried DD has leukemia

As I said in my post previously, it was as though she was getting sick. Then, she started spiking very low grade temps (38.1, 38.2) but for the past few days has been running a constant fever from 38.1-39.0. She had a bunch of blood tests yesterday but so far haven't heard anything. She's still tired and just wants to laze about.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
BeeZeemom
(female)

BeeZeemom HB User
blood count help

My 6 year old daughter has been suffering from low grade fevers and aches and pains for 2 months since contracting a virus of some sort that made her pretty sick. She hasn't really ever fully recovered from that virus 2 months ago.

some of her counts were high and some were low on her blood test. can someone help me with these numbers?

Her platelet count was high at 378 (range 199-367)
Mean Platelet Volume was low 9.2 (range 9.3-11.3)
Absolute Lymphocyte count was high 4.77 (range 1.16-4.28)
Absolute Basophil Count was high 0.06 (range 0.01-0.05)

So nothing is crazy high or crazy low. Does it look ok or should I be asking for my tests?

Reply Reply