It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Oral Thrush

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-21-2020, 10:27 PM   #1
    amykcpa
    (female)

amykcpa HB User
    Oral Thrush

At the end of September I developed a very bad case of oral thrush. I had been swishing with hydrogen peroxide for a sore tooth. I was working a lot of hours and not paying attention to the condition of my tongue. The oral thrush occurred about 2 weeks after starting the hydrogen peroxide swish. The doctor did say that it is plausible that the hydrogen peroxide upset the normal flora in my mouth to cause the oral thrush.

I was treated with 7 days of Nystatin liquid. The Nystatin seemed to work initially but was not clearing the infection in full. I went back to the doctor and was told the thrush was very bad. The doctor said it is possible the thrush is very bad and not clearing up because I have many dental appliances, retainers, night guards and partials that I was not cleaning with a solution that would kill the oral thrush.

The doctor did discuss with me the possibility that the oral thrush could be the first sign of leukemia. I have no other symptoms. I feel very healthy other than having the oral thrush. I exercise 7 days per week with no issues. I sleep about 6 or 7 hours per night and do not feel excessively tired during the day. I do not have a fever or bruising. I do not have any swollen lymph nodes.

I have been on Diflucan 100mg for 6 days. The oral thrush is very widespread on the tongue but the infection does appear to be clearing. My tongue feels normal but there is still infection evident on my tongue when I look at it. I am concerned that the infection may not be clearing quickly enough which could be a further indication that I do have leukemia.

Is is possible that I do have leukemia? The doctor was not willing to do any bloodwork last week. I am just very scared because the thrush infection was very bad and it seems to be clearing slowly considering the very powerful drug I am taking.

Thanks for your insight and thoughts.

Last edited by amykcpa; 10-21-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: addl info added

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Oral Thrush

Obviously he didn't think it really possible - though I don't understand why he would say that if he didn't. Since the diflucan and cleaning of the appliances seems to be working, I'd just bank on that and wait till my next annual to get the bloodwork done. Though you certainly could call back and ask to have it done now.

Reply Reply