It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• High WBC - I'm concerned - Dr is not...?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
    jbd

jbd HB User
    Talking High WBC - I'm concerned - Dr is not...?

I am a 34 year old male and have recently established a Dr. at my new hospital and they have ran a Complete Blood Count - to my knowledge this is the first time I have done one in my entire life...

My test came back with normal results except for the following...

White cells - mine were at 19,400 - normal range of 3,500 - 12,500

Neutrophis - mine were at 81% - normal range of 50 - 70%

Lymphocytes - mine were at 10% - normal range of 20-50%

I asked my Dr. if I should be concerned about the high white blood count, but did not seem concerned about this. Should I insist on getting screened further for something like Leukemia? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 02:10 AM   #2
    karaokediva33
    (female)

karaokediva33 HB User
    Re: High WBC - I'm concerned - Dr is not...?

I have been really sick for months and this weekend i went through the emergency room with a very bad pain in my right side they ran a series of tests and told me my total white cells were 22,000. they told me it could be because i have an infection but they want me to follow up with my doctor first thing tommorow morning for more testing. If i were you i would have another test ran and ask alot of questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: High WBC - I'm concerned - Dr is not...?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbd
    I am a 34 year old male and have recently established a Dr. at my new hospital and they have ran a Complete Blood Count - to my knowledge this is the first time I have done one in my entire life...

My test came back with normal results except for the following...

White cells - mine were at 19,400 - normal range of 3,500 - 12,500

Neutrophis - mine were at 81% - normal range of 50 - 70%

Lymphocytes - mine were at 10% - normal range of 20-50%

I asked my Dr. if I should be concerned about the high white blood count, but did not seem concerned about this. Should I insist on getting screened further for something like Leukemia? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    That is a bit high but it could indicate a strong immune system especially if you have just had a round of antibiotics, are a person who rarely has illness, or many other little glitches with testing etc. If you do not feel sick, then it is definitely no reason to panic. The ranges that are established are standard based on 95% of population considered to be in good health, that were tested to establish that range. With today's nutritious diets vegetables, fortified everything that people eat, those standards may need to be adjusted. If we were to take a population of people who have cancer and base the ranges on their blood counts, or a population of people who use drugs and alcohol and base the standards on their blood counts, there would be an entirely different standard and you would appear abnormal according to that. If you become ill or are sick you can ask for a follow up test. There are many ways to confirm a blood test some are kind of expensive.

Closed Thread