It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Acute Leukemia- What to expect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2004, 05:25 AM   #1
    courtzzz
    (female)

courtzzz HB User
    Acute Leukemia- What to expect?

90 Year old family member was diagnosed with acute leukemia in May. The doctor said she would have 6 mos to live without chemo, and possibly a year with chemo. She tried the chemo but stopped after a few weeks sue to side effects. Over the course of the summer, she had several blood transfusions (everytime she got weak and her breathing was in trouble). The doctor now refuses any additional transfusions and has her on oxygen. Her hemoglobin drops weekly and is down to 7.4. A few questions:

1. If the hemoglobin keeps dropping, why no transfusions?
    2. How long can this go on?

I feel like we are just waiting for the end and the doctor has given up. Maybe I am just in denial.

Thanks for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
    atappa

atappa HB User
    Re: Acute Leukemia- What to expect?

Hi Courtzzz:

Even though your family member did not have MDS the leukemia is common after MDS.

God Bless

April

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2004 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Posting other message forums is not permitted. Read the Posting Rules.

Old 10-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
    Livestrong

Livestrong HB User

First off let me say that you and your family will be in my thougts. The reason they may not be transfusing yet could be that although her hemoglobin is low at 7.2 it is not yet low enough for transfusion.

To answer you second question, it really depends. There are a numer of factors including what type of leukemia she has. Do you know what specific type of acute leukemia they have? It really all depends on how fast the leukemia takes over.

If you have any more questions post them and I'll try and answer what I can. I am not a doctor but I am a mother of a child who has fought AML M7. Take care.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
    courtzzz
    (female)

courtzzz HB User

Thanks **********.

I get the feeling that they aren't planning on any further transfusions. The doctor also said at one point that the leukemia was spreading to her organs. Her breathing is deteriorating daily and she has no energy. I think at this point they are trying to make her comfortable without transfusions. I find it difficult to get a straight answer from the doctor about what to expect....
    Very frustrating

Old 10-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
    Livestrong

Livestrong HB User

We have the same problems with our doctors sometimes, fortunatley her Oncologist will tell us the whole truth about situations. My best advice would be to push the doctor until you can get a straight answer. You and you're family remain in my thoughts. Take care.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
    IloveJoshGroban
    (female)

IloveJoshGroban HB User

What type of Acute Leukemia -myeloid or lymphotic? And then what subtype is it? I have only dealt with myeloid myself, and it's the worst you could get-my sister had it when she was 17, it's very rare for teenagers. Anyway, if you let me know, I can tell you about my personal experiences if its myloid..my thoughts are with you, I know what your going through.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM   #7
    soonerfb
    (male)

soonerfb HB User

On a good note, I completley recovered from AML in 5 1/2 months and was back working in six. It was a tough journey, but there is hope. I had my bone marrow transplant at UAB in Birmingham, Alabama. in Dec. 2000.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
    flyingeagle1111
    (female)

flyingeagle1111 HB User
    Question Re: Acute Leukemia- What to expect?

i have been in remission from All for 6 years and I am 49. The doctors say I am an anonomy but won't say how long I have. I couldn't finish Chemo because it actually caused me to bleed out and I had to be recitited then had a fever of 108 for over an hour. they stopped chemo sent me to a bone marrow doctor because my brother is a perfect match but after looking at my records he said he could not do it. Can some one give me some hope or not I just want to know.

Last edited by flyingeagle1111; 06-06-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread