It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Should I worry about leukemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
    abdcefg
    (female)

abdcefg HB User
    Should I worry about leukemia?

Hey all!

I've had a rash on my legs for two months. I went to the doctor and she gave me medication for inflammation. The medicine hasn't really been working and I noticed when I looked closer that the rashes looked more like clumps of small dots of blood and doens't blanch. I'm thinking it is petechia, but I'm not sure. The only thing that makes me think that it may not be is that some of the oldest spots have begun fading and I'm not sure if petechia fades or if the medication is causing the spots to fade. On the other hands, the newer spots are not fading at all with medication.
    Anyways, I started researching petechiae online and found that it is a symptom of luekemia. When I started reading the list of symptoms I noticed more that fit. For example, one symptom is bleeding gums when you brush your teeth which happens to me everytime. Also, I noticed that my last period was significantly heavier than usual. I've also become satiated a lot more quickly than usual. This symptom have varied though. Some days I can only eat a few bites, but if it has been long enough between meals ( like 8 hours) I can eat a full meal. Finally, I've had pain on and off in the bones of my thigh and hips.
    With these symptoms, is luekemia something I should be worried about or am I overanalyzing the situation?

Last edited by abdcefg; 05-04-2005 at 09:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User
    Re: Should I worry about leukemia?

Commonly, acute leukemia (AML,ALL) attacks rapidly. It means the symptoms usually (not always) appear for weeks rather than for months.

However, I suggest you to meet hematologist or ask for CBC w/ differential to your doctor, because they can rule out Leukemia as the cause of your symptoms from the test result. If you don't have blast cells, low platelets, anemia, or high WBC, it will be very very small possibility that you have leukemia (although exact diagnosis is bone marrow biopsy).

I had discussed with a hematologist last month, and he said that petechiae could come from allergy or other causes. If your petechiae came with other symptoms such as fever, swollen glands, bleeding noose, etc or petechiae becomes purpura (larger bleeding under the skin), you must meet your doctor immediately.

About bleeding gum when we brush our teeth, it could come from gingivitis (gum disease).

I had the same experience with you. I met hematologist to check me for leukemia (because the similar symptom with you, bleeding gum and several petechiae in my skin) and when the CBC w/ diff came back normally, I went to the dentist for cleaning my plaque/tartar.

Now, my gum is much much better although sometimes still bleeding when I brush my teeth.

Wish you good health.

Closed Thread