It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• CBC results - should I call back the dr.?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 06:15 AM   #1
    mistyfog
    (female)

mistyfog HB User
    CBC results - should I call back the dr.?

Hi,

My son's bloodtests (routine) came back with some values flagged as High or Low:

IgA 68.0 Low (82-453mg/dl is normal)
    WBC 4.0 Low (4.5-13.0 th/mm3 normal)
    Neutrophils 34.5 Low (53.0-61.0% is normal)
    Lymphocytes 52.7 High (31.0-39% is normal)
    Abs Neutrophils 1.4 Low (1.8-8.0 th/mm3 is normal)

All other tests in the CBC/Diff were in normal range. He has various periodic complaints of tiredness, occ. swollen glands or sore throat, achyness - but then again he is 13 yo. and has a busy day. He will often fall asleep by 8 or 9pm.

Are these results suggestive of leukemia at all? Do we need to pursue further testing?

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment - middle child just diagnosed with asymptomatic celiac (by blood tests!) and daughter showing signs of bipolar... I can barely keep up.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    misty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
    PlaDrv4Me
    Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User
    Re: CBC results - should I call back the dr.?

If ANYTHING, and mind you those results could be completely normal for him, those results would be more suggestive of Lymphoma than Leukemia. This is actually good thing, because Lymphomas tend to either take a more indolent course or are very curable.

Once again, some people just have irregular blood counts for whatever reason, but Leukemia would routinely present with HIGH WBC, not lowered WBC (there are exceptions). Leukemia would also routinely present with decreased RBC (red blood cells) and Anemia due to decreased platelet production. The only thing concerning for Lymphoma there is actually the absolute Lymphocyte count, and even then, you would need three consecutive tests showing repeated similar counts over a long period of time (usually 3 months) to raise any suspicion.

Good luck,
    Ian.

Last edited by PlaDrv4Me; 05-12-2005 at 07:45 AM.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
    orchid23
    (female)

orchid23 HB User
    Re: CBC results - should I call back the dr.?

I agree-leukemia would present with more messed up blood work like anemia and abnormal platelets. By the looks of it , he may just be fighting of a viral infection. When one type of blood cell-in this case lymphocytes increases in numbers to fight an infection, it will lower the neutrophils. If you need reassurance call your doctor and tell him your concerns.

Closed Thread