It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• My sister in law has Acute leukemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
    WandaP

WandaP HB User
    Talking My sister in law has Acute leukemia

Hi My sister in law was diagnosed with acute leukemia in March of 2004...she was treated at a wonderful cancer hospital and she was in remission for a year..but this past April her cancer came back...and this round of chemo has been extremelly hard on her,,she is very sick..her platets have dropped out her white count is low her red count is low she has has numerous blood transfusions..but her immunine system isnt taking it...There next step is a stem cell replacement..since she is an only child she needs to have her stem cells harvested.....she is very sick...and she cries all the time...my heart breaks for her and my brother...Can someone please send me some good news that Leukemia can be cured...I am just sick over this we are very close
    thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User
    Re: My sister in law has Acute leukemia

Hi Wanda

I am really sorry to hear that your sister in law has relapse. Basically all acute Leukemia has possibility to be cured, unfortunately Leukemia is vary for each person. Two person could have the same type of Leukemia and use the same method for treatment but the results could be very different. For additional information, all type of ALL and AML M3 now have very good prognosis.

Bone marrow transplant usually gives good remission even cured for patient but the risk is always exist. Sometimes the body refuses the new bone marrow and create complication.

I wish your sister in law could get the proper donor and her body accepts that.

I had read that some best hospitals in America provide clinical trial with newest medicine for Leukemia, but of course this option also has another risks.

Good luck

Last edited by ryu1977; 07-01-2005 at 12:35 AM.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
    meatball
    (female)

meatball HB User

hey wanda,
    I'm sorry to hear about your sister in law.. has she thought about having a bone marrow transplant? Some people achieve full remission from the procedure, especially in acute leukemias. I know how hard a time this must be on you all, you came to the right place though to ask any questions or just to vent if necessary.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
    WandaP

WandaP HB User

Thank you all..Its so comforting to know there are people in here who care.
    She was going to have the bone marrow transplant...BUY she has some kind of gene in her body that wont accept it...so she has agreed to harvest her own stem cells and go that route///I hope this is a cure she is a wonderful person who has so much to offer the word

Old 07-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
    Stacia
    (female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

I AM SO SORRY!!! I went through this last summer with my mother-in-law. She was 57 and passed away on July 31, 2004. The difference is they found your sister-in-law Acute so they will treat her. That's a good thing. My mother-in-law never went Acute according to all the tests. She just got sick and couldn't get better.

I wish you all the best and I am so happy to hear that she can try some treatment. There are people who can beat this nasty disease.

I will pray for you and your family. I have been through it and I know how difficult it is.

Stacia

Old 07-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
    WandaP

WandaP HB User

Thank you all so much..
    This round of chemo has really taken its toll on her.....They are finacially and emotionaly in a bind,,,I told her dont worry about the bills that are pileing up...she just puts them in her bible...Her friends have had two fund raisers for her to help with expenses..her dr trips are like a 2 hour drive one way...But its a wonderful cancer hospital in Pittsburgh...

I am just sick with worry..she looks like death..she is so pale no hair..just a mess...and this was a vivacious women who everyone loved...she is basically bedridden waiting for the go ahead with harvesting her stem cells...I knew two people whom have had leukemia,,neither one has survived..I am praying to the good lord that this case will be different...
    Thank you so much for listening to me
    many thanks Wanda.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #7
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Our prays with you and your sister in law Wanda.

How long until the doctor will transplant her stem cells back?
    I wish she could make it and get cured.

God knows the best for her and your family.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
    meatball
    (female)

meatball HB User

hey wanda,

my prayers are with your sister in law- this must be so tough on all of you, but she sounds like a survivor. Try not to let other stories affect you, everyone is different. The stem cells could be just what she needs to feel better. Stay positive and keep us posted when you can.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #9
    chatty8484
    Veteran
    (female)

chatty8484 HB User

My sister was diagnosed in 2000 with ALL. Today she is now working on having a family and is in good health. She had chemo for 1.5 years then 1 year in and out of a day clinic, when they diagnosed her she had about 2 weeks to live, actually they couldn't get a confirmed diagnoses of ALL cause her bone marrow was almost gone, whenever they did a bone marrow biopsy they could never get any out. But they treated her for ALL and today (thank god) we still have her here.

There is hope!! There is always hope, we are saying a prayer for your family.

chatty

Last edited by chatty8484; 07-05-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
    mdfirst

Leukemia can be cured. I am a Chinese Dr.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
    WandaP

WandaP HB User

Gosh this is such positive news..thank you all so much..They want her to have one more round of chemo then do a one marrow biopsy and do some scans to make sure there is no cancer left in her body,,then they will harvest her cells and replace them..its a long procedure...I pray nightly that she survives this...
    thank you all so much

Closed Thread