It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• what's going on with my CBC results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User
    what's going on with my CBC results?

Hi everyone, I just got back some test results and haven't seen my doctor yet. But, I've talked with some other people (they're not in the medical field but are dealing with anemia and other blood disorders themselves). I'm not sure if this is something that would be related to leukemia so I thought I'd post the results here for some advice. So here are some of my results ~

WBC - 2.6 L (range 4.5-11)
    RBC - 3.31 L (range 3.5-5.5)
    Hgb - 10.4 L (range 12-15)
    Hct - 29.7 L (range 36-48)
    MCV - 89.9 (range 79-98)
    MCH - 31.5 (range 25.4-34.6)
    Platelets 219 (range 150-450)
    Total IBC - 273 L (range 280-400)
    Retic count - .8 (range .5-1.5
    Ferritin - 20 L (range 30-307)

I was told that if you're anemic your reticulocyte count should be high because your body should be working harder to make red blood cells. So I'm wondering why mine is low if I'm anemic. I also heard that the total iron binding capacity should be high if you're anemic and mine is low... And is my WBC something I should worry about? I'm having a follow up CBC done in a week so we'll see if anything changes. Should my doctor refer me to a hematologist? It seems like a lot of people have a bone marrow biopsy to rule out certain diseases and I'm not sure if I fall into that category. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Thanks SO MUCH for any help ~
    Lizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
    rml
    (female)

rml HB User
    Re: what's going on with my CBC results?

you should definately have your blood work done again. leukemia is a bit more difficult then just blood work. what other symptoms are you having? your platelet count is wonderful and your other counts aren't very low. but your right they are not right. like i said i would see what my next counts are.me personally i wouldn't jump to a bone marrow biopsy just yet but that is just my opinion.good luck and i hope you are okay.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-22-2006 at 06:51 AM.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I just got back from vacation where I didn't worry about this stuff at all I'm getting labwork done on Monday and see my doc on Thursday to follow up so we'll see how things are. Thanks again!

Old 07-01-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

Oops, I forgot to say what my main symptoms have been lately. I bruise easily and really don't know where they come from (I'm not playing sports right now) and I'm tired a lot, althought that could be due to being anemic. That's about it, for the most part there haven't been too many changes lately other than the bruising and anemia and tiredness.

Closed Thread