It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Anyone That Can Help????!!!!!??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
    DEVISTATED_DAD
    (male)

DEVISTATED_DAD HB User
    Anyone That Can Help????!!!!!??

1 Month Ago, My Wife And I Took Our 4 Yr Old Son To His Pediatrician Because He Had A High Fever. They Did Blood Work And Found His White Blood Cell Count To Be Over 122,000 Which Is Off The Charts. His Eosenophil Count Was At (i Think) Around 70% Which Is Also Through The Roof. 1st Thing Our Pediatrician Said To Us Was That My Son Probably Had Leukemia. We Rushed To Texas Childrens Hospital Where He Was Checked In. A Bone Marrow Exam Was Done The Following Day And Showed To Be Inconclusive. To This Date We Still Do Not Know What My Son Has And Are Getting Desperate. He Is Currently On Prednisone (steroid) And Droxia Which Was Explained To Us To Be A Mild Type Of Chemo Therapy. The Doctors Cont. To Do Blood Tests And Check His Wbc Count. The Counts Fluctuate Between Normal (around 10,000) To 40,000 While The Eosenophils Get As High As 50+%. Doctors Are Adjusting His Meds. To Try And Figure Out The Minimum Amount Of Meds. To Use To Stabilize His Counts. Does Any Of This Sound Familiar To Any Of You?? Anyone Have An Idea Of What This Could Be? I Am Extremely Scared For My Little Boy And Want To Know What He Has So We Can Fight It Head On. This Not Knowing Stuff Is Killing Me. Also, When Is It A Good Time For A Second Opinion And How Long Should We Wait Til We Get One? Where Do We Go For A Second Opinion?? There Are Good Pedaitric Cancer Hospitals All Over The U.s. (so I'm Told)- St. Judes, Hospitals In Philly, L.a., Dallas. Any Thoughts, Ideas Or Suggestions With Anything In This Message? Any Info Or Insight Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
    Re: Anyone That Can Help????!!!!!??

You might want to contact the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society (call your local one or do a search on the internet). There are a lot of parents who have children with leukemia and they may be able to answer your questions. I hope you get an answer soon.

Nancy

Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
    catsblueeyes1
    (female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
    I am sory that you and your family are going through this difficult time. There are many wonderful hospitals to get a 2nd opinion which I willtell you is what you should do, my husband 5 years ago had what we thought was an infection because of his blood work and a very tiny nodule on his neck that the 1st doc thought was from the infection, I thank God a million times that the little voice in my made him go for a 2nd opinion. It was cancer and after a year of treatment he has been cancer free for the past 4 years. This is not to say that this is the case for your son but believe me you will be forever grateful that you had a teaching hospital that see these types of cases everyday take a look at your child. I am in Chicago and I can tell you that
    the Universtiy of Chicago is fantastic for all types of cancers. I will say a prayer for you and your family and I hope that you will get some answers quickly.Debbie

Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
    Skinamarinka
    (female)

Skinamarinka HB User

Hi,
    Those counts seem really high to not be cancer. You may want to have another test done. It's never too early to know if it's cancer. If it isn't, then the next most likely is infection - parasitic or viral probably. I would say those next because you didn't mention anything that suggests asthma or skin disorders. Could also be autoimmune, but you would probably be seeing some sort of rash on the skin.
    Best wishes.

Closed Thread