It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Spleen Removal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
    BuddyNY123
    (male)

BuddyNY123 HB User
    Spleen Removal?

Hi,
    Has anyone heard of having a spleen removed because it was the root of the cancer causing cells?

Is this a risky procedure? Does anyone have success stories of Leukemia going into remission following this surgery?

Please share any information you have in regards to this.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
    answersforme
    (female)

answersforme HB User
    Wink Re: Spleen Removal?

hi, may not have all the answers that you need. but i thought i would reply anyways.
    i have never heard of the spleen being cause of cancer, if your talking about leukemia.
    leukemia is a blood cancer that starts in the bone marrow.

i dont know anyone who has had spleen removed but i know that the leukemia spreads to other organs.
    if it is in the spleen it can cause alot of discomfort. if its really bad they may remove it
    i suggest a search engine for spleen removal

Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
    pjeanna9
    (female)

pjeanna9 HB User
    Re: Spleen Removal?

Hi, I have luekemia called CmmL. my spleen is so swoolen that it gets caught under my ribs and causes alot of pain. my doctor will not remove mine, as he says the cancer could go to my kidneys. There is no remission for the luekemia I have. Hope this helps you. Love and Light
    pjeanna9

Old 08-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
    sandy28
    (female)

sandy28 HB User

I haven't heard that leukemia makes the spleen bigger, I have ITP my spleen is 22cm, and my Red blood cells are also low. My paltlets have been at 2
    they gave my prednisone I took it for 6 months . My spllen is so big that I always have pain under my ribs. But I'm afraid of this surgery that I am booked for October 2/07 Has anyone had their spleen removed how do you feel after surgery and once you get home what are you not suppose to do. I am also worried that my paltlets will drop again. Please write me back thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Sandy28, my husband had his spleen removed May 30 because of hemolytic anemia. The surgery itself was about 1 1/2 hours. They opened him up so they could remove the spleen intact so they could check it out for cancer. It was the size of a small football. They did a liver biospy and a bone marrow test at the same time. He was miserable the first afternoon because of build-up of gas. The second day he was up and walking. The third day he wanted out of the hospital. He was supposed to be in for a week but was doing well so the dr. let him go. He went back to work in 2 weeks. He was very happy to get the staples out, he doesn't mind the huge scar but hates that he really doesn't have much of a belly button. We have new insurance now and a new doctor who is running alot of blood tests and slides to see if there is an underlying reason for the hemolytic anemia even though right now his blood looks great. The downside of not having the spleen is the necessity of being careful around ill people. Should he get sick he needs to go to the doctor immediately. and blood transfusions must be done very carefully.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
    td9997
    Inactive
    (female)

td9997 HB User

Im sorry your husband lost his spleen (( God shouldve gave us all 2 of em,

my 42 year old brother had his spleen removed surgically, last week, his busted. He's still in the hospital, he had drain tubes, catherter, one in his nose for drainage.

They took the nose tube out yesterday, they seemed to think he has Lymphoma, now, they are saying mononucleosis. I read Lymphoma has a high cure rate, if anyone gets cancer its the best kind cured. Mono isnt the best disease but it aint cancer.

I wish you & hubby, healthy happy days ahead ~~

((((((hugs)))))))

Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Your brother's spleen busted? whoa what caused that? I am glad he is doing better and got that nose drain out. Been there, done that when I had a broken jaw.
    They suspected my hubby had non-hodgkins lymphoma but we were told since the bone marrow test was negative he was clear. The new doctor wants to make sure as he said removing the spleen doesnt necessarily take care of the problem. Hubby had 7 vials of blood taken today so it is now a wait and see.
    Hope your brother continues to improve and gets out of the hospital soon. There is no place like home!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
    hukleberrie
    Veteran
    (female)

hukleberrie HB User

I am really getting nervous... My doctor is concerned about my spleen.... I had a really severe kidney infection 2 months ago & ever since I have had horrible pain in my back left side, doctor says between the 9th & 11th ribs. Sometimes when my pain meds wear off & it gets really bad, it comes through to the front of my abd., just below my left breast. I have lost a lot of weight unintentionally & am very tired & weak. I have had non-stop colds/flus/infections since May... I just haven't felt myself. I have been having palpitations & periodic blood in urine. I also have burning off & on when I go pee, which is not that often (since I just don't get the urge to go anymore). I am swelling & even though I have lost 25+ pounds in 2 months, my rings don't fit on my fingers because they are swollen. I keep getting low grade fevers & just feel ill. The pain is getting worse & now my shoulder is hurting again. At first they thought kidney stones, but now she thinks the kidney is fine. Because my older brother was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, they are very aggressive on testing me for cancer, too. I am worried what it could be & what I might have to go through if it is the spleen. I just can't figure why I would have a spleen problem to begin with. The doctor did say I don't have Luekemia (my great grandmother had luekemia around my age), but I don't have much more info. My doc said there was a cancer test she was going to do on my urine, but I couldn't find any info about that online. I am just waiting waiting waiting to see what they say. I hate the waiting game. Do my symptoms sound like anyone else who has had spleen issues?

Closed Thread