It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Question about symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User
    Question about symptoms

Hello all.

I know this will be generalized, but I was wondering if any of this sounds familiar with those of you who have been diagnosed with leukemia. The past 3 or 4 months I have been so fatigued that I have lost desire to do normal activities. I force myself out of bed to go to work, but when I get home I usually want to sleep. I take 2 hour naps after getting 8 hours of sleep. My muscles feel like I am trying to walk in water. They just feel sore and fatigued. My joints hurt. It started in my knees and has moved to my elbows. I have started getting horrible migraines and some dizziness. The past few days I have started getting night sweats. I am a little freaked out because I am pretty active. I used to take a 30 minute walk/jog 5 days a week and now I can drag my butt out of the house to go. I want to do it, but I can find the energy to do it. I don't know if I am being paranoid or just a baby which is why I haven't gone to the doctor. I have pondered making an appointment and I may because I know I don't feel right. Anyway, I really was wondering if anybody had these symptoms. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
    jectac
    Inactive
    (female)

jectac HB User
    Re: Question about symptoms

What has you doctor said? Have you had a blood test?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
    houtex54
    (male)

houtex54 HB User

Any symptoms that persist more than a couple of weeks should be reason to see a doctor. Symptoms that persist despite treatment by a doctor should cause you to ask the doctor why you are not feeling better. See the doctor.

Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User

I haven't been to the doctor yet...I finally decided that I should make an appointment. I guess you could say I was just hoping that a few days of rest would make me feel better, but it hasn't. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

The fatigue and night sweats sound like lymphoma symptoms. Lymphoma will usually not show in bloodwork. Do you have any lymph nodes that have swollen?

Deb

Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User

I haven't noticed any swollen lymph nodes. Is something the doctor would check when I go for an appoinment?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Yes, I don't remember if you had any pain in your stomach area or not. You could also have nodes there. But, you should really start getting tests done to rule things out.

Deb

Old 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User

I did have some pain on my left side lower abdomen for a few weeks, but I haven't noticed it lately. It would come and go as a stabbing pain. It lasted only a minute or two. I will have to make an appointment for the doctor to check it out.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
    sally n
    (female)

sally n HB User

Hi there,

I too had the exact syptoms as yourself, I am also normally very active but couldn't understand why my energy levels dropped so low and why I was alway sleeping.

After approx 6 months of all this, I went to check things out.

The result was my platelet count being very high at 1,011. After many blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy, I have now been confirmed with ET Leukaemia.

I am 46yrs old and just coming to terms with all this.

Please go and seek advise from your GP asap.

Good luck
    Sally

Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
    cllacy
    (female)

cllacy HB User

I had most of the symptoms you had for about two weeks. It started out as strep throat .. or so I thought. But it had got real bad & when I brushed my teeth, my gums would bleed .. a lot. I was always sleepy. Didn't wanna eat, lost weight. I was diagnosed September 16th, 2007, with Leukemia .. APL.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
    KSgirl79
    (female)

KSgirl79 HB User

My doctor ran some blood tests and told me it was anemia. I am now taking iron pills. I don't feel much different yet, but I guess I will give it time.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #12
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Does this give you unexplained bruising? I have bruises on my arms in the soft spots that I can't figure out where they come from, they literally come up over night. I have had the night sweats for yrs. I had a Giant Cell {benign} bone tumor 12 yrs ago that resulted in an above the knee amputation with a special limb salvage prosthesis. I just had blood work and the only thing that came up high again , I believe was my Calcium. I was shocked that I wasn't anemic , I have been si tired and fatigued, I can barely drag myself out of bed and have even been in danger of falling asleep while sitting in the chair and have to stop at Starbucks sometimes for a quick pick-me-up.

B

Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
    Yvette D
    (female)

Yvette D HB User

Wow this really puts me to think. I have the same fatigue symptoms, bleeding gums and just an overall "beat up, never ending tiredness". However, I do have anemia and hypothyroid. I have often thought about leukemia because of the symptoms I've read but have not mentioned anything to my doctor. What I would like to know is did any of you who have been diagnosed with leukemia have to ask your doctor to test you for it, or did your doctor suggest it?

Last edited by Yvette D; 11-15-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
    btsmommy
    (female)

btsmommy HB User

My son has ALL but he didn't have any symptoms, but my friend was just diagnosed with Lupus which what your describing sounds a lot like, they also had tested her for Leukemia, Lupus is very hard to diagnose though, she has been misdiagnosed for years and she is only 23

Closed Thread