It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
    Yessan
    (female)

Yessan HB User
    Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML)

Dear members of the board,

A couple of weeks ago my mom (age 70) was diagnosed with Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). She was not ill prior to the diagnose but the illness was discovered because of her low blood values (90).

She is currently undergoing chemotherapy and is doing surprisingly well except for occasionally feeling sick to the stomach.

I would like to get in touch with people who have any sort of experience of this situation since I don't know much about AML or the treatment.

Please, it would mean the world to me.

With regards
    Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
    SaigeGrace
    (female)

SaigeGrace HB User
    Re: Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML)

I was diagnosed in the middle of November. It's scarey, but once you learn how treatable AML is, it's a bit easier to remain positive. What happens with AML is that (all things being equal, which means there will probably be some variation from case to case) is that the patient will go through an induction (7 days of treatment, followed by testing to see how successful it was in getting rid of the cells in your marrow) and 4 consolidations (you come back to the hospital 4 more times for 6 days each, and there's not as much chemo--I'll let you know when I've gone through that). Chemo for AML in the induction phase is 7 straight days of one particular drug (via an IV) and three nights where you get one hour each of another drug. Now this is my treatment, I am not sure how standard it is. And patients will all respond differently, so doctors are always making adjustments.

I am told this is very treatable, and my treatment is going pretty well. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
    lovetoread
    Inactive
    (female)

lovetoread HB User

Treatment for AML can vary somewhat, but usually there is an induction phase of chemotherapy following later by a consolidation phase. How many consolidation phases a patient will go through will vary and be decided on by the doctor.

My husband was diagnosed with AML this last September. He was able to get into remission after only one round of induction chemo. Some people take a few rounds to get into remission. He then had only one round of consolidation chemo. We were told that this was only a temporary remission and so the doctors recommended a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. We found a donor quickly and he recieved a transplant in December.

Every patient is different. I know this is a very scary disease.

I would suggest that you read up about leukemia on the leukemia lymphoma society web site. Its full of good info regarding this specific form of cancer. There is also a good community foruum/board with others who are fighting this same disease.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
    ethan01
    Inactive
    (male)

ethan01 HB User

Hi yessan,

This kind of leukemia is treatable. I hope your mom will be okay. Have faith.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
    mary1977
    (female)

mary1977 HB User

Jessica,
    I knowthis is late, but I too was diagnosed with AML in Aug. of 2009. I a few weeks ago was a told after the last BMB that i am now in remission. its a long tough road at any age. what is the prognosis with your grandmother?
    soon,
    mary

The Following User Says Thank You to mary1977 For This Useful Post:
    Klee811398 (09-20-2011)
    Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
    scwcaw
    (female)

scwcaw HB User

My mother was diagnosed in March, 2009. Similar situation - found at physical w/low blood counts. No symptoms. She is 75 years old. Went through two rounds of chemo which failed. More common in elderly. Despite the initial diagnosis of four to twelve months (and more dire after failed chemo) she is still alive. For how much longer is anyone's guess - but she does enjoy her life - albeit very different than it was 14 months ago.

Best of luck to your mother with the chemo!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
    Yessan
    (female)

Yessan HB User

Greetings all!

Since I last wrote on this board, my mom's leukemia has been cured. So basically what I would like to tell you guy's is, that even if the outcome may look bad, there is alway's hope!

I would also like to thank all of you who took the time to respond in this thread. A big hug goes out to you!

A lot of love to all of you.

Best wishes
    Yessan

Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
    jayda11
    (female)

jayda11 HB User

Jessica,
    Hi. My dad who is 63 yrs old was diagnosed with AML two weeks ago also. I have been researching it and talking to his doctors and nurses but I am so worried about him. He has been having fevers, he has pneumonia and now they suspect he has a blood clot. His WBC, RBC and platlets are very low. He has just finished a 7/3 dose of chemotherapy and tolerated it well but he now has no appetite and he is weak. From what I have read, AML is aggressive and so is the treatment. I do not mean to scare you but if you are anything like me you want to know what the deal is and do not want anyone candy coating it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yessan View Post
    Dear members of the board,

A couple of weeks ago my mom (age 70) was diagnosed with Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). She was not ill prior to the diagnose but the illness was discovered because of her low blood values (90).

She is currently undergoing chemotherapy and is doing surprisingly well except for occasionally feeling sick to the stomach.

I would like to get in touch with people who have any sort of experience of this situation since I don't know much about AML or the treatment.

Please, it would mean the world to me.

With regards
    Jessica

Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
    chrisdo
    (male)

chrisdo HB User

may i ask if your mom had a stem cell transplant? my dad is just getting ready for one and im very nervous and scared....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yessan View Post
    Greetings all!

Since I last wrote on this board, my mom's leukemia has been cured. So basically what I would like to tell you guy's is, that even if the outcome may look bad, there is alway's hope!

I would also like to thank all of you who took the time to respond in this thread. A big hug goes out to you!

A lot of love to all of you.

Best wishes
    Yessan

Closed Thread