It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board

• Scared of being diagnosed with Leukemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
    summergirl214
    (female)

summergirl214 HB User
    Scared of being diagnosed with Leukemia

Kind of scared of CML..

So for the past 5 years I have had an elevated wbc ranging anywhere from 11-13.9. Today I saw a Hematologist/Oncologist that my GP referred me to. He was really awesome, addressed all my concerns. The first thing I said when he walked in the room and asked how I was feeling was "I think I have Leukemia, I did to much reading on the internet!" He laughed and said Leukemia was the last thing on his mind. So he went over my blood work, told me all my differentials looked great, asked if I was having any symptoms, pain, ect. Then he laid me on the table and checked all my lymphnodes, which he said were normal. At that point I was feeling much, much more relaxed.

At the end of the appointment he said, this may just be how my body runs, explained how labs were just a general guideline. He said he wanted to take some more blood, examine my blood under the microscope and he would see me next week. He also mentioned that if I did have a chronic infection, it does not seem to be bothering me, or making me feel ill, so therefor he is not worried. The latest blood work he looked at was from the middle of April, and my wbc was at 13.9. So he leaves and I go get my blood taken and the lady asked if I wanted to wait for the results and get a copy. I said sure. Well she comes out and said hold on, and showed me that my wbc was now at 18.2!!!!!!!!! And my neutrophilis was high also at 13.5. She must have seen my face go completely white. The doctor came out and she showed him and he looked at me and said RELAX. Stress causes your counts to raise, and the look on your face when I walked in the office I thought you may pass out.

So needless to say I am freaked once again. Although I did forget that All last week up until Sunday I had been on Prednisone, and I heard this could raise my counts. I also smoke (I know, I should quit, the doc really said I should quit since he specializes in Lung Cancer) and have been smoking like CRAZY the past couple of days. I figured if he was really concerned he would have made me stay.......any thought, advice, or even a stop worrying yourself sick comments. Thanks so much!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: summergirl214
    peachtrees (05-29-2012),ps i love you (06-04-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
    peachtrees
    (female)

peachtrees HB User
    Smile Re: Scared of being diagnosed with Leukemia

I wouldn't worry. (: Even if you are diagnosed, many doctors have told me that leukemia is very treatable. I'm experiencing symptoms, too, but haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I am 110% calm about everything and I have very severe anxiety, so there is no need to be scared. (:

Last edited by peachtrees; 05-28-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling

Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
    ps i love you
    (female)

ps i love you HB User
    Re: Scared of being diagnosed with Leukemia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peachtrees View Post
    I wouldn't worry. (: Even if you are diagnosed, many doctors have told me that leukemia is very treatable. I'm experiencing symptoms, too, but haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I am 110% calm about everything and I have very severe anxiety, so there is no need to be scared. (:

same exact boat. i hope everything is okay for us all.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
    4meandme
    (female)

4meandme HB User

Summergirl. I am feeling the same way as you. I also have had an elevated wbc for 3-4 years, but I also have elevated platelets. I visit the hematologist on Tuesday for the first time; I am so nervous. I just got recent bloodwork on Monday, and it showed wbc at 14.5 and platelets at 589000 should be 150,000-450,000 ( I think). As you can see, I am really worried. I was also thinking about CML; the internet can provide great information, but if you do not specialize in the type of disorder you are researching; it can have you thinking you have every disorder out there. I really need to relax because the stress can cause it to rise also.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
    4meandme
    (female)

4meandme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by summergirl214 View Post
    Kind of scared of CML..

So for the past 5 years I have had an elevated wbc ranging anywhere from 11-13.9. Today I saw a Hematologist/Oncologist that my GP referred me to. He was really awesome, addressed all my concerns. The first thing I said when he walked in the room and asked how I was feeling was "I think I have Leukemia, I did to much reading on the internet!" He laughed and said Leukemia was the last thing on his mind. So he went over my blood work, told me all my differentials looked great, asked if I was having any symptoms, pain, ect. Then he laid me on the table and checked all my lymphnodes, which he said were normal. At that point I was feeling much, much more relaxed.

At the end of the appointment he said, this may just be how my body runs, explained how labs were just a general guideline. He said he wanted to take some more blood, examine my blood under the microscope and he would see me next week. He also mentioned that if I did have a chronic infection, it does not seem to be bothering me, or making me feel ill, so therefor he is not worried. The latest blood work he looked at was from the middle of April, and my wbc was at 13.9. So he leaves and I go get my blood taken and the lady asked if I wanted to wait for the results and get a copy. I said sure. Well she comes out and said hold on, and showed me that my wbc was now at 18.2!!!!!!!!! And my neutrophilis was high also at 13.5. She must have seen my face go completely white. The doctor came out and she showed him and he looked at me and said RELAX. Stress causes your counts to raise, and the look on your face when I walked in the office I thought you may pass out.

So needless to say I am freaked once again. Although I did forget that All last week up until Sunday I had been on Prednisone, and I heard this could raise my counts. I also smoke (I know, I should quit, the doc really said I should quit since he specializes in Lung Cancer) and have been smoking like CRAZY the past couple of days. I figured if he was really concerned he would have made me stay.......any thought, advice, or even a stop worrying yourself sick comments. Thanks so much!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
    4meandme
    (female)

4meandme HB User

Hello, summergirl. I don't know if you will get this message or not, but I just visited my hematologist for the first time on yesterday with the same problem, except my platelets were elevated. Turns out that I have thrombocytosis which causes your wbc to be slightly elevated, especilly Neutrophils. I THANK GOD that it is NOT LEUKEMIA. God is able to work things out. NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST US SHALL PROSPER. BY HIS STRIPES WE ARE HEALED. WE MUST BELIEVE IT.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cml, high white count, leukemia, white blood cells