It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• High ALT Liver Enzymes (190+)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
    linxlad
    (male)

linxlad HB User
    Unhappy High ALT Liver Enzymes (190+)

Hey Guys,

I have recently turned 30 and I have been monitoring my liver enzymes with my Doctor for going on a few years now.

They were mildly elevated at 54 3 years ago but in the last few months ALT has gone up to 190. Ofcourse I am very worried and not sure what that level signifies?

I had a liver ultrasound done a few weeks ago and they seemed to show the liver is free of any obvious structural abnormalities, scaring, tumours etc and the only thing of worthy note was non alcoholic fatty liver (which I know can raise ALT but surely not to this level?).

ALT has gone up by about 50 in the last 3-4 months?

I also have acid indigestion alot and my number 2's come on with sudden urges and loose :/

I am worried as I am reading around and people are posting with ALT's in the 50's-60's and there's me creeping above and above 200 :/

Anyone have any insight any word of reassurance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
    BillinSD
    Veteran
    (male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
    Re: High ALT Liver Enzymes (190+)

Fatty liver is epidemic now days and can progress to NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) in some, which would push enzymes well past the slightly elevated state you often see in those with simple fatty liver.

Sugar, particularly high fructose corn syrup and excess carbs are more responsible for the fat in fatty liver than dietary fats are, so eliminating sugars may be more important than a low fat diet.

A study called the "PIVENS trial" showed vitamin-E to be more effective than prescription medicines for NASH. You might want to look into this and other papers to gather additional information. A diet high in polyunsaturated fats, vegetable and/or fish oils can also oxidize causing problems and a switch to more saturated fats might help. Saturated fats do not oxidize like polyunsaturated fats do.

You might ask your doc to run a full iron lab in your next bloods as there is a genetic issue (hemachromatosis) that is common in those from Northern European ancestry. Hemachromatosis normally first becomes symptomatic in males around your age and frequently is mis-diagnosed until it progresses to an advanced stage.

The liver is the bodies primary storage site for excess iron and mysterious elevations in liver enzymes may be an early manifestation of the disorder. Ferritin (stored iron) should not be in the upper third of the normal range in someone your age and even minor iron overload can be toxic to the liver.

Even substantially elevated enzymes shouldn't cause major problems short term, but you don't want to live like this for too long. You've got to keep looking at different angles of this disease process until you find out what is causing yours. Find the cause and a workable solution and all is good!

Closed Thread

Tags
    alt