It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Questions about Liver Tests

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
    VSni
    (female)

VSni HB User
    Questions about Liver Tests

Hi my name is Vickie. I'm 65 and have had generally good health most of my life until I had breast cancer, which was caught early with no lymph node involvement six years ago. For the last six weeks or so I have been weak, lethargic, with on and off headaches and odd smelling urine especially in the morning. At my last medical checkup I brought these symptoms to my doctors attention and she ordered blood work and urine test. As a result my liver function tests are off and I have a low thyroid condition with no mention of the results of the urine analysis. At this point I should state that this doctor is new to me and I believe is new at practicing medicine as well.
    I have been seeing my oncologist regularly as instructed. I am on a BP medicine and was on Crestor until this last doctor visit, however she took me off of the Crestor. I also take Effexor and Wellbutrin, but I have run out of the Wellbutrin. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks I may have a more serious problem than just a low thyroid or if these liver tests are indicating something more serious. More tests are ordered, I am to have more blood tests in about a month. Thanks again to anyone/everyone who takes the time to reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
    BillinSD
    Veteran
    (male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
    Re: Questions about Liver Tests

Hi Vickie, & sorry you've got this health scare going on. Both statins (Crestor) and antidepressants have some known liver issues so it may be the combination was stressing your liver a bit. Crestor in particular has more reported side effects than other statins, so I believe your doc was right in taking you off this.

An unhappy liver can make you feel punky so hopefully your symptoms will resolve swiftly now that you've lightened the load. It's unlikely you've gotten into serious trouble at this point and your followup labs next month should reflect improving health.

Your doc may want to try you on a different statin once you've recovered, so whether you want to do this or not is something you should be thinking about. If you've got a lot of heart disease in your family history you might want to give a milder statin a try. Doctors tend to put everyone with moderately elevated cholesterol on statins, whether they have heart disease in their family or not.

Personally, as my family has no significant heart disease, I prefer to avoid statin drugs but then this is just me. If I ever was to start a statin, I would want low doses of a mild/safe statin like Lipitor.

You might also consider whether you really need to be on two different antidepressants. If one or the other was working OK you might ask your doc about dropping down to a single med.

Hope you're back in the pink soon!

Last edited by BillinSD; 10-19-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
    VSni
    (female)

VSni HB User
    Re: Questions about Liver Tests

Thank you for your information and advise. I found out the results of my urine test today and my creatinine is high. Both sides of my family have heart disease and my good cholesterol is always low. I'm sure it will be worked out I'm just not adjusting well to feeling like this. Thanks again!

Closed Thread

Tags
    breast cancer, liver, thyroid