It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Mild Fatty Liver?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
    leahnc
    (female)

leahnc HB User
    Unhappy Mild Fatty Liver?

Hi everyone. Just got my diagnosis and a little scared. What I thought was gallbladder disease or gallstones turned out to be Fatty liver causing my right side, back and digestive discomfort? I have no gallstones and my gallbladder, pancreas, spleen all look healthy in the ultrasound. My liver showed mild Fatty liver? I'm overweight and have spent the last two weeks eating mainly vegetables and limiting fat. I've lost 4 lbs. I will continue. My doctor did not seem concerned about the liver but told me to lose weight of course. Anyway she gave me a handout about NASH with my checkout papers. I freaked out when I researched it as NASH is the second irreversible stage of non alcoholic Fatty liver disease. I immediately called my doctor in tears as this sounds irreversible. I explained to the nurse that the handout did not match the diagnosis of the ultrasound and she assured me that I have mild Fatty liver without inflammation. And only one of my liver enzymes was slightly elevated? She said that is the handout we give everyone. I said well there is a big difference between the types of fatty liver. She also said looking at my ultrasound report that she was not alarmed and sees nothing alarming and told me not to worry. She did calm me down.

I'm a wreck tonight. I'm so tired and was put on hefty antibiotics for possible kidney infection? I'm so scared about this as I wasn't expecting my liver to be the reason for my pains? Thought it was my gallbladder. I still may need a HIDA scan if I continue to have digestions issues (pain and diarrhea) I'm having stingy pain under my right rib but since I've been eating better it seemes less tender?

So many questions: What diet should I follow to reverse this? Do you all take Supplements? I just want to be healthy of course and am so upset with myself for not eating better all these years! Thanks

Last edited by leahnc; 12-04-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
    BillinSD
    Veteran
    (male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
    Re: Mild Fatty Liver?

Fatty liver is epidemic now days, and so long as inflammation isn't too high (enzymes near double normal) then there's no need to sweat this too much. It's not the kind of thing you want going on forever though.

From what I've read (& I'm not a doctor), fatty liver is caused more by dietary sugars (particularly high fructose corn syrup in sodas), and not so much by dietary fat. If you've got a sweet tooth, then this is the key to fixing your fatty liver, not by trying to go fat free.

Lots of dietary advice on the internet for fatty liver, but the bottom line is... Control intake of sugars and fatty liver will take care of itself.

Hope you're back in the pink soon!

Closed Thread