It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• High iron levels but normal ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
    Tmont
    (female)

Tmont HB User
    High iron levels but normal ferritin

Do high iron levels,but normal ferritin levels be a symptom of liver damage? All my other blood work as far as my liver blood tests have come back normal? I have a fullness under both ribs and it hurts when I move like my ribs are hitting something inside. I also have tons of gas!! Does this sound familiar to anyone who has liver damage? Thanks so much!!

p.s. I tested negative for hemachromatosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
    BillinSD
    Veteran
    (male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
    Re: High iron levels but normal ferritin

Serum iron can change from month to month & ferritin is supposed to be the best measure for stored iron.

Estrogen also raises serum iron and those on hormonal birth control typically have higher levels of serum iron.

I would want to rule out fatty liver and/or gallbladder disease, and an ultrasound should give a good idea if either of these problems exist.

Gallbladder troubles are notorious for causing gas and this can cause fullness and discomfort in the abdomen. Medical students are taught the "Four F's" of gallbladder disease: Female, Fertile, 40, and Flatulent often mean likely gallbladder issues. Gaining and losing weight through serial dieting is also associated with gallbladder trouble.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

Last edited by BillinSD; 04-27-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
    Tmont
    (female)

Tmont HB User
    Re: High iron levels but normal ferritin

Thank you so very much. In Jan I had an ultrasound of the abdomen. It was all normal. I am 45, but not on birth control. I guess since my ferritin level is normal then that is really a good sign. Youre a blessing for replying!!! Thank you. The dr doesnt seem to be worried. He said he will see me in three months!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ferritin level, iron overload, liver damage