It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Newly diagnosed Fatty Liver

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
    awsmblzm
    (female)

awsmblzm HB User
    Newly diagnosed Fatty Liver

Hi,
    I was just diagnosed with fatty liver following a CT Scan. My Sonogram came back clear.
    My concern is that my pain is slightly to my left and mostly to my right of my body - not really felt in my front abdomen but more so a dull achy, sometimes warm sensation on my middle back, and at times down my left side about 2 inches above my hip. Recently, my left arm has been having pain in my upper bicep, almost like a pinched nerve. Several months back the pain was so bad while driving I almost had to pull over - after about 20 minutes it went away. I hadn't had an issue until about 2 weeks ago - maybe it is unrelated, not sure. I don't have any chest pain, so no heart issues.
    I exercise at least 30 minutes a day approx., 4-5 days a week. I generally eat healthy about 70% of the time. I drink approx., 60-80 oz of water a day, no coffee or soda or juices. I only tend to drink alcohol on the weekends not during the work week. On average I consume 4-6 beers or whisky/soda on the weekend - more so 805 brand beer. I do not eat fried foods and rarely eat red meat. My cholesterol is 132 - they ran Helicobactor, Lipase, Liver Function, Hemoglobin, Thyroid, Electrolytes, Lipid, Creatinine, CBC and Vitamin D blood panels - all in normal range minus an elevated total bilirubin at 1.6. My BP is normal as well. I am 5"5' and weigh 148 lbs, I have slender extremities, my weight is all in my butt, thighs and abdomen - but no muffin top weight when standing or sitting. Just a bit thicker in the mid-section.
    Could my my diagnoses be accurate? Should I adjust my diet to a clean eating fatty liver diet with no alcohol for about 3 weeks to see if it helps and if not, should I ask for an MRI to performed? Or does anyone else have the same symptoms?
    I also have interstitial Cystitis and Polycystic Ovary Syndrem as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Newly diagnosed Fatty Liver

Your dx could be very accurate....fatty liver disease has nothing to do with alcohol and little to do with your actual weight..it is how your body digests fats.

Go back and talk to the doctor who dx you and ask him/ her what you can expect or how to live with this...fatty liver is curable.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear awsmblzm,

I have fatty liver from being sedate and having little muscle tone, plus for many years I had now cured Hep. C from a transfusion. Alcohol is extremely concentrated sugar that overloads the body with sugar that is turned to fat unless we are active enough to actually burn the fat. Alcohol is a main contributor to fatty liver and liver disease. Lack of enough exercise for the amount of fat that is carried compared to the amount of calories consumed is what creates fatty liver. Both actions need to drastically change before fat in the liver gets used. It can be done.

Fat around the the liver is not the first fat that gets 'burned'. You can get rid of the fat in the liver by stopping alcohol, lowering or stopping simple carb intake, and starting exercise. Weight training helps a lot, because only muscle burns stored fat, which is why fat in the liver can be difficult to get rid of.

I'm not against alcohol, just we need to understand that ingesting highly concentrated sugar can have serious long term consequences in the body.

All that said, I wonder if you are also having gall bladder disease symptoms.

Last edited by yayagirl; 03-09-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
    klause
    (female)

klause HB User

Everyone that I know with fatty liver has elevated liver enzymes..alt and ast along with your elevated bilirubin.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
    awsmblzm
    (female)

awsmblzm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Your dx could be very accurate....fatty liver disease has nothing to do with alcohol and little to do with your actual weight..it is how your body digests fats.

Go back and talk to the doctor who dx you and ask him/ her what you can expect or how to live with this...fatty liver is curable.
    Thank you, Iíve been reading a lot more the past few days and now understand that it can stem from various sources. Quite an adjustment of eating healthy to very healthy and exercise more than the 4 + hours a week that I already do ;-)

Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #6
    awsmblzm
    (female)

awsmblzm HB User

Yeah, initially thought my symptoms were gallstones and that was ruled out.

I’ve read up and been more informed the past few days of what to eat and not eat - made a major Sprouts Shopping trip and ordered Milk Thistle capsules and also have Stevia drops for anything needing sweetener.

Thanks for sharing and your reply.

Last edited by Moderator1; 03-13-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
    awsmblzm
    (female)

awsmblzm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by klause View Post
    Everyone that I know with fatty liver has elevated liver enzymes..alt and ast along with your elevated bilirubin.
    Thatís why I was concerned about only having an elevated bilirubin. Iím going to ask for another round of blood work in about 3-3 weeks after following a strict Fatty Liver diet for a bit & see what my new results come back with.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
    intrepidlady
    (female)

intrepidlady HB User

Did your doctor do a CA-125 test? Cancer Antigen test. My doctor was looking for fatty liver, gallbladder troubles, bile duct problems, hepatitis. Completely overlooked ovarian cancer. My CA-125 levels were very high ! She made an error in judgement. [A pelvic, pap are not enough to rule out ovarian cancer, either]

Old 06-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
    MommaNJ
    (female)

MommaNJ HB User

A CT is way better than an Ultrasound. An MRI MRCP May also be good and if you cut down alcohol and are still high you may want to ask abt liver elastography.

Reply Reply