It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Elevated liver enzymes

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
    layman100
    (male)

layman100 HB User
    Elevated liver enzymes

I am a male in my late 30s. I've had elevated liver enzymes first detected in late 2019. I had follow up tests in Feb and Sep of 2020, and I have one late this week. My AST/ALT values have been as follows:

Dec, 2019: 70/81
    Feb, 2020: 43/62 (and tested negative for viral hepatitis)
    Sep, 2020: 53/76

ALP, bilirubin, and albumin have been perfectly and consistently normal. Cholesterol normal too, and I am not overweight. I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I have no symptoms, and am otherwise healthy.

I had an ultrasound in October, 2020, and that came back normal. No fatty liver or anything.

I used to drink about 10-12 beers per week before all this, and since my first blood test, I cut back to about 2 per week, and nothing since late January. As for medications, I used a prescription NSAID between October and December (for an unrelated problem), but haven't touched it since December.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is 6 weeks of no alcohol (followed by over a year of little alcohol) and 10 weeks of no NSAIDs enough time for my enzymes to come down at least most of the way to normal?

2. Do ultrasounds detect early fibrosis? I imagine they detect cirrhosis or advanced fibrosis, but to what extent do they detect early fibrosis?

I'm nervous about what my upcoming blood test will show, so any helpful answers on this would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply