It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• What Tests should I get?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2003, 06:17 PM   #1
    Wonderingwhy
    Inactive

Wonderingwhy HB User
    What Tests should I get?

I'm wondering if I may have a liver problem but don't know what tests I should get to determine if there is a problem there. I have a very low SHBG level ( which is resulting in abnormaly low serum testosterone levels, but adequate free t levels so my Testosterone situation is ok) which comes from the liver and I feel like absolute crap. Could anyone recomend what tests I should have run? and doesn't the liver produce oxytocin and norepinephrine? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot, Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
    annie6

annie6 HB User
    Re: What Tests should I get?

Chris, I urge you to be tested for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. A few vials of blood should show if you have too much iron in your blood. This is a common condition (1 in 250 have it).
    The treatment is simple, not pleasant but simple : ), they take a pint of blood every week until they get you deironed.
    Please ask for the tests, I know ferratin is one of them and I think Sat. rate.
    I have it and my brother and sister also have it.
    Good luck. You will feel better if that is your problem.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
    butterflytrans
    Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

No...the liver doesn't produce oxytocin. Oxytocin comes from the hypothalamus and is stored in the posterior pituitary. I know that epinephrine is made in the adrenal glands and at nerve endings, but I'm not sure if maybe the liver is able to convert epi to norepi.

In general to see how well the liver is functioning, they'll do:

albumin, INR/PTT and glucose

There are also liver enzymes they can check which can be markers of disease: AST, ALT, GGT and ALP

Then there are numerous other tests that can be done. The ones that annie was talking about for hemachromatosis include: transferrin saturation, serum ferritin...etc.

You should also, of course, have blood drawn with a complete blood count, electrolytes, blood urea nitrogen and creatinine (to check your kidney function and what not).

If you have risk factors for any of the hepatitides, you should also have viral serology done.

Why is it that you think you have liver disease agaon?

Old 01-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
    Wonderingwhy
    Inactive

Wonderingwhy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by butterflytrans
    No...the liver doesn't produce oxytocin. Oxytocin comes from the hypothalamus and is stored in the posterior pituitary. I know that epinephrine is made in the adrenal glands and at nerve endings, but I'm not sure if maybe the liver is able to convert epi to norepi.

In general to see how well the liver is functioning, they'll do:

albumin, INR/PTT and glucose

There are also liver enzymes they can check which can be markers of disease: AST, ALT, GGT and ALP

Then there are numerous other tests that can be done. The ones that annie was talking about for hemachromatosis include: transferrin saturation, serum ferritin...etc.

You should also, of course, have blood drawn with a complete blood count, electrolytes, blood urea nitrogen and creatinine (to check your kidney function and what not).

If you have risk factors for any of the hepatitides, you should also have viral serology done.

Why is it that you think you have liver disease agaon?
    Well, I'm considering it as a possibility because I have felt like hell for the last 3 years, and My testosterone levels have bottomed out and almost every cause of low Testosterone levels have been ruled out except for liver and kidney problems. The reason my T levels are so low is because of a very low SHBG protein level, which I believe is produced in the liver, and this is causing my T Levels to drop due to the SHBG deficiency ( Total Testosterone levels are low due to sufficient unbound Testosterone because there is little protein to bind to). So I'm just considering getting some tests run to see if anything is going on with my liver since I have some of the symptoms of liver disease, and it would explain the problems with my T levels

Old 01-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #5
    Wonderingwhy
    Inactive

Wonderingwhy HB User

And also my doctor put me on prozac ( treating me for anxiety caused by a T3 thyroid toxicosis, He didn't think it was important to consider that a thyroid problem could have been the cause for being mentally screwed up. But my thyroid has returned to normal in the last 2 years and I have no need for prozac) But anyways, I have seen several refrences to prozac causing liver damage, and my doc had put me on a pretty heavy dose. I quit prozac after 3 months though, I didn't like being on a mental medication, but I never felt quite right after that. So that also makes me want to get tested for a liver problem

Closed Thread