It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Comments on Milk Thistle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
    hypochondriaman

hypochondriaman HB User
    Question Comments on Milk Thistle

As in my other post, my liver enzymes are down to basically normal after alcohol stoppage, cholesterol still a little high, but just curious, thinking about starting Milk Thistle Pills, any good or bad comments??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 06:15 AM   #2
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Re: Comments on Milk Thistle

I would research milk thistle on the net. It seems to be the most well known herb to have beneficial effects on the liver. It also seems that milk thistle attached to phosphatidylcholine allows for better absorbtion and get milk thistle that has at least 80% silymarin (the beneficial component of milk thistle). The timing is of when to take it is important too but I can't find a consensus on this matter. Some say take 30 min before meal, some with meal and some 1 hour after meal. I do a little bit of all three and I take it 3 times per day. Keep in mind that it will take at least a week or two before you notice milk thistle's beneficial effects. For chronic conditions, you will need to take the herb for quite some time.

There are also other herbs such as artichoke extract, dandelion, licorice, methionine, inositol, choline ... that are promoted as helping the liver and gallbladder. A lot of liver products offer a blend of several different herbs. My enzymes have been elevated for the last several months and I started taking milk thistle. I recently had another liver test but haven't gotten the results yet.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
    MooseMiss

MooseMiss HB User

I've heard Milk Thistle is really good, but I can't take it cos I am using prozac.. pharmacist said not to mix the two. However if you're not on anything else, I would say it's worth trying...

Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MooseMiss
    I've heard Milk Thistle is really good, but I can't take it cos I am using prozac.. pharmacist said not to mix the two. However if you're not on anything else, I would say it's worth trying...

What was the reason for not mixing the two? My guess is that the milk thistle may help the liver clear out the medication too fast so you reduce the medications effectiveness. Just a guess but I am curious to know why.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #5
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

I have been taking Liver Tonic (milk thistle) right after meals 3 times a day for about 6 months and 3 weeks ago finally my liver enzymes were normal so it does work..i also take vitamin e 1,000 units a day and i read that that reduces inflamation of the liver...Lisa

Old 04-07-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
    ilovethenow
    (female)

ilovethenow HB User

My friend's husband had elevated liver enzymes and started taking milk thistle. He hasn't stopped drinking (although his doc thinks he did!), and his enzymes have been normal. My friend did notice though that only the GNC brand seems to work for him; they got a cheaper brand one month and his enzymes were elevated again.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
    WorryWart65

WorryWart65 HB User

Hi

I am new to this board. I come because I worry about every ache, pain. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression. Hence the name ' worry wart'. Due to strange pains in my right side I checked out the liver forum.

While reading I found this thread and the question about prozac and Milk Thistle, I looked it up on the net.

I would hate to see someone taking milk thistle ( like me cause I worry needlessly) and it have an ill affect on their body or health. I hope I do not offend.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-29-2004 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Do not post other's written material. Do not post off-board contact information. Read the rules in the faq, please.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 PM   #8
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

I strongly recommend Milk Thistle and
    I know of many other magic Herbs to help
    the Liver.

Try Alpha Lipoic Acid (sounds awful but it isnt bad)

Old 04-26-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User
    Talking Re: Comments on Milk Thistle

Milk Thistle ssems to be the Herb of Preference for protecting the Liver, but there are so many other Herbs that are important as well

Closed Thread