It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Milk Thistle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
    drenyob
    (male)

drenyob HB User
    Milk Thistle

When is it ok to take this? As a healthy person can I take it on a daily basis? Is this a good way to make sure my liver stays healthy? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Re: Milk Thistle

It's an herb that has shown a lot of promise in protecting the liver from toxins and even maybe cure some disorders. Clinical studies show that milk thistle supports and promotes normal liver function. The active bioflavonoid complex, silymarin, is a powerful antioxidant in the liver. It exerts a protective effect against alcohol, pollutants, and other substances harmful to the liver. Some people swear by it while others say it didn't do anything for them. If you are healthy and nothing is wrong with your liver but you want to try milk thistle, you probably wouldn't need much on a daily basis. You also want to get an extract that is standardized to have 80% silymarin. Also, I hav eread that when one part milk thistle extract and two parts phosphatidylcholine are combined that is it makes the milk thistle highly absorbable.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:08 AM   #3
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Guys, I bought this new stuff called Liver Cleanse that I found at GNC. It's made by Health Plus Inc. I have been taking it for a month now and no more discomfort on my right side. It has to be that.. I am so happy that I don't feel that nagging feeling on my right side anymore. I had been taking liver tonic for months but this stuff is much better. It has 90 mg each of Artichoke extract, beet leaf, dandelion root, milk thistle, tumeric extract, black radish root, inositol 30mg, astaxanthin 500 mcg..$17.99 for 90 take 3 a day...it's worth a try..it has to be that that stopped the pain..i noticed the pain gone 1 week after taking this..Lisa

Old 05-25-2004, 05:55 AM   #4
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

I have been taking Enzymatic Therapy's Super Milk Thistle for about two months now and my URQ has gotten better but has gone completely away. This brand contains milk thistle, articjoke extract, dandelion and licorice. The milk thistle is the largest component. I used to supplement with extra artichole but now I just take the super milk thistle. We will see if my liver enzymes changeon my next blood test.

Closed Thread