It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Ultrasound Results?????What does this mean??Scared Please Respond!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
    dizzyhead

dizzyhead HB User
    Ultrasound Results?????What does this mean??Scared Please Respond!!

Hi am a 30 year old male that just got an ultrasound done and need to know if there is anybody out there that can interpret these results i dont know if i should be scared or maybe i am getting ahead of myself.
    I got these results from the hospital that i had teh ultrasound at and my doctor has not had time to look at them yet beacuse he is on vacation, i am very anxious and want to know if i should seek medical help ASAP!!!

Any help would be great!!

Thank You!!

Examination Adominal Ultrsound
    Findings:
    The liver demostrates diffuse increased echotexture most typical of fatty infiltration.The liver is diffusely enlarged measuring over 19 cm in longitudinal length and the mid clavicular line. No focal liver lesions are detected.The gallblader demostrates no evedence of cholelithiasis.The pancreas is not well seen due to overlaying bowel gas.The kidneys are without cysts,masses or hydronephrosis. The abdominal aorta is normal in caliber,The spleen is normal in size,mesuring 12 cm in longitudinal length.

Impression:
    1. Enlarged liver with diffuse increased echotexture of the liver suggesting fatty inilfiltration.
    2. No evedence of cholelithiasis.

Last edited by dizzyhead; 06-01-2004 at 08:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    Re: Ultrasound Results?????What does this mean??Scared Please Respond!!

sounds like a fatty liver to me..join the crowd i have it too...good luck, Lisa

Old 06-04-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
    tenngal31

tenngal31 HB User
    Wink Re: Ultrasound Results?????What does this mean??Scared Please Respond!!

yep sounds like you have a fatty liver and is slightly enlarged every thing else is normal see your doc to explain what the causes may be good luck to you.
    Katherine

Old 06-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
    dizzyhead

dizzyhead HB User

Thank you for your reply's!!

I did go to my doc and he did not make it sound like it was something of a concern he said it was due to my elevated triglicyerides and my insulin resistance (pre diabetic) , but i have read allot of posts about "fatty liver" in this forum and i am more scared than when i didn't know what this test meant.

Is fatty liver a death sentence? Will i get Cirrosis or cancer of the liver?
    Will this kill me ?

My doc also said that he idn't think a liver biopsy would be necasary but could be in the future if this does not reslove.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Dizzy

Old 06-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
    dizzyhead

dizzyhead HB User

Hi thanks for your reply!!

Can you tell me more about fatty liver, i am scared and i feel like i have a death sentance or feel i have cancer is this anything like that?

Thanks!!

Old 06-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

It isn't a death sentence. My upper GI man said not to worry either just to lose some weight and I did that..Ask your doctor for more specifics if you are worried. Get more than one opinion and... live life stop worrying..Good Luck, Lisa

Old 06-07-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

If your overweight lose the weight.As long as the report didnt say cirrhosis ,so if it didnt dont worry.Do you drink?If treated early fatty liver can be reversed.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #8
    dizzyhead

dizzyhead HB User

thanks for the reply's!!

No the test did not say cirrohsis and said there was no visible scaring witch is good!
    I am about 20 pounds overwieght and i do not drink so i guess all i have to do is try to lose weight. Is there anything that can be taken to help the liver recover?

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I have the same thing. Have had it for years. My doctor said at first he would just keep a watch on it. It remained the same for years. He finally said you have a fatty liver, so do a lot of people, yours isn't changing, don't worry about it. Seems some people have it just like some people have a fat stomach. Your triglicerides would probably go down if you cut out a lot of the carbs, refined sugars highly refined grains. Mine did, but , hey, i like cake!

Old 06-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Smile Re: Ultrasound Results?????What does this mean??Scared Please Respond!!

Ive read on these boards that milk thistle is posed to be good for the liver .

Old 06-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #11
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Dizzy,

I swear by daily Lecithin granules (1 Tbsp a day) to mobilize fats from the liver. Give it a try- tasty and cheap!

Old 06-15-2004, 04:59 AM   #12
    jrf5460
    Inactive

jrf5460 HB User

Hey Dizzyhead...

Relax...you are not going to die. I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis ( an autoimmune progressive liver disease) and I have greater than a 80% chance of dying of something unrelated to the liver. Pretty good odds if you ask me.

If you are a little overweight, than eat right and exercise!!! As a former triathlete, I can tell you most assuredly that a proper diet and regular exercise is the healthiest way to lose and maintain weight. Please do not jump on any fad diets (Carbs, South Beach, etc.) because these will only do more harm in the long run.

My advice is to begain walking at least 30 minutes every other day at a semi-brisk pace. The main goal is to increase your heart rate to at least 60% of your maximum heart rate. To find your maximum heart rate just use the following: 220-your age. Then take 60% of that. Easy, huh?

Second, eat sensibly. Instead of eating three main meals a day, try to eat smaller more frequent meals. The less you eat at a time, the better it is digested completely. Most don't know that if you eat a large meal, your body will digest only what it needs and then store the rest for future use, usually as fat!! I used to call these frequent meals "Meta Meals". That stood for metabolic meals. My body would quickly convert the calories to energy and use it completely. At the height of my training I weighed 150 lbs. and had just over 6% body fat. Not bad for a 30 year old man!!

As far as what to take to help the liver, I do not recommend any supplements without your doctors approval. So please do not run out to the vitamin store and buy whatever you have found on the internet that says its good for the liver. Some ingredients in these supplements are actually toxic to the liver and do more harm than good. If you eat right, your body will get all the nutrients it needs to heal itself and maintain itself. Proper nutrition is amasing if done properly.

Hope all this helps, and if you need any further, please ask!

Joe

Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #13
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Joe,

How does a triathlete come to get a liver problem? I'm asking becuase I have been an athlete for years. I run and weight train and have for several years consistantly average 6 days a week. I eat alot of fish a ton of veggies and fruit and nuts and have for years eaten healthy. The only vice I have is I like to have a cocktail at night. I am a 45 yr old woman with a fatty liver, high bp and high cholesterol. It is so frustrating doing the right thing all the time and still having issues like this. The doc felt I should lose weight because he measured me with the scale and not body fat percentage. I did as he asked and lost around 30 lbs and went down 3 sizes. My bodyfat is 15%. I do take 3 times a day Vitamin E, Evening primrose oil and Liver Cleanse. ..Lisa

Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #14
    jrf5460
    Inactive

jrf5460 HB User

Hey Moxie75...

My liver disease is autoimmune in nature. I also have Multiple Sclerosis and Sub-Acute Lupus Erythematosus, all of which are autoimmune related.

Autoimmunity is genetic and hereditary. Modern science does not know what causes the specific gene (which has been identified) to "turn on" and allow the body to attack itself. My sister, who three years older than me, has Hashimoto's thyroid disease which is an autoimmune problem and is begininng to have elevated liver enzymes. Again genetics raising it's ugly head. Funny, when my sister and I look back at our family tree, we can find high blood pressure (mom and sister have, I don't) and cancer but no autoimmune problems. Of course the further we go back the more medical science was limited at detecting autoimmunity.

I still exercise regularly. Can't run however. Not because of the illnesses, but destroyed my knees while training. Have had three surgeries on knees. Totally shot! But I keep relatively fit by swimming and going to the Y.

Your lifestyle is that oof one who is careful. There is nothing wrong with the evening cocktail. I enjoy a cold beer at night as well. As I told my hepatologist, "its good for the soul". Continue doing what you are doing and I'm sure you'll have a long and happy life.

Take care Lisa,
    Joe

Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #15
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Joe you mentioned you have primary billary cirrohsis.Could you tell me what your symptoms were ,and how you found out you had it please?Thanks.

Closed Thread