HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   milk thistle (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/238611-milk-thistle.html)

cleopatra` 02-06-2005 11:49 AM

Re: milk thistle

oh lady bug too bad he's not up on it. I guess doctors are human they can't know everything. From what i'm reading many doctors don't believe in it and primarily because no good research has been done into it to prove yes it does or no it doesn't. A lot of the literature i'm reading doctors will say, not enough research has been done for me to say take it or not to take it. I've just started taking it, as many many people who take it report a difference and at this stage any help is appreciated.
Good luck
cleo

cleopatra` 02-07-2005 09:10 AM

I have a question for you guys. What is the difference between blessed thistle and milk thistle???????? is there a difference???????

Ladybug46 02-08-2005 08:01 AM

cleopatra-i used milk thistle for a good while after i was dx with my liver problems some years ago-it did not help me-that is my situation-i say if it helps others-then go for it-but i believe both the pros and cons of a remedy should be brought to the attention to everyone who might decide to try milk thistle just because we read about a socalled wonder supplement (or any other unregulated herb supplements) on message boards deosnt mean that we should not also read up on the adverse effects-in other words, know both the pros and cons of a remedy before jumping in and digesting it-where a supplement or med might help in one area it could do great harm to other parts of the anatomy. here is an example: Adverse effects associated with oral ingestion of milk thistle include:

Gastrointestinal problems (e.g., nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, flatulence, abdominal bloating, abdominal fullness or pain, anorexia, and changes in bowel habits).
Headache.
Skin reactions (pruritus, rash, urticaria, and eczema).
Neuropsychological events (e.g., asthenia, malaise, and insomnia).
Arthralgia.
Rhinoconjunctivitis.
Impotence.
Anaphylaxis.
Of course doctors do not know everything-but neither do the multi million dollar supplement pushers, right? good luck to you as well.. L

KDGMOM 02-08-2005 08:54 AM

Ladybug,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.....what did they do to confirm this or what symptoms were you having???? What are they going to do?????

cleopatra` 02-08-2005 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Ladybug46]cleopatra-i used milk thistle for a good while after i was dx with my liver problems some years ago-it did not help me-that is my situation-i say if it helps others-then go for it-but i believe both the pros and cons of a remedy should be brought to the attention to everyone who might decide to try milk thistle just because we read about a socalled wonder supplement (or any other unregulated herb supplements) on message boards deosnt mean that we should not also read up on the adverse effects-in other words, know both the pros and cons of a remedy before jumping in and digesting it-where a supplement or med might help in one area it could do great harm to other parts of the anatomy. here is an example: Adverse effects associated with oral ingestion of milk thistle include:

Gastrointestinal problems (e.g., nausea, diarrhea, dyspepsia, flatulence, abdominal bloating, abdominal fullness or pain, anorexia, and changes in bowel habits).
Headache.
Skin reactions (pruritus, rash, urticaria, and eczema).
Neuropsychological events (e.g., asthenia, malaise, and insomnia).
Arthralgia.
Rhinoconjunctivitis.
Impotence.
Anaphylaxis.
Of course doctors do not know everything-but neither do the multi million dollar supplement pushers, right? good luck to you as well.. L[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more Ladybug...people have to use their own judgements when they do things, some medications don't work for some people so I'm sure herbs would be the same way. I think we should research everything, not take anyone, doctor or not, word for it. Doctors can't be up on everything, scary as that is, if they don't know it then how can we expect that lay people will. So I agree one hundred percent we should research, research, research........And take into consideration the neg as well as the positive of it before we try it. I think there will always be people like me who are desperate for a cure, that we try and ignore the negative because we want so badly for the positive to be true and work. And I agree one hundred percent just because it doesn't work for some doesn't mean it won't for others, or vice versa.
:)

cleopatra` 02-09-2005 04:12 AM

I had asked earlier if anyone new if Blessed thistle is the same as milk thistle..........their not milk thistle is silybum Marianum and Blessed thistle is cnicus benedictus. but blessed thistle does help the liver too, just from what i've read its not as specific for the liver as milk thistle.
It sounds pretty good too, has anyone here tried blessed thistle too????

Goosey 04-18-2005 05:02 AM

Micheal01, do you know why your ALT was raised? Where did you find this recipe?

Goosey 04-18-2005 05:20 AM

Iv2flex, I have been reading your history with great interest. You have done so well! You say that you had yellow eyes but did you have other symtoms? What did your Dr conclude about your health? I currently have raised enzyemes and not only am totally worried but feel totally lousey. Do you know anything about the effects of CLA on the liver?

Goosey 04-19-2005 02:48 AM

Do you use the one with herbs or without herbs?

OhioMOM 04-22-2005 05:21 PM

before you take any herbs please check with your doctor. in diseases like PBC or PSC they can be problematic

Kittydaddy 04-25-2005 12:01 PM

I talked to my Liver Doctor last week and he says that Milk Thistle is useless.
He said to try try Vtamin E, Carniteen and Lecithin.

TheHappyMan 04-25-2005 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Kittydaddy]I talked to my Liver Doctor last week and he says that Milk Thistle is useless.
He said to try try Vtamin E, Carniteen and Lecithin.[/QUOTE]

Kittydaddy, I dont have a "liver doctor" but milk thistlse is the most universally accepted important "herb" for the liver (do some online research) - Vitamin E, the amino acid L-Cartinine (the L means it's "free form"), and Lecithin are also very helpful.......... Your doc is right about those...

New studies indicate >800 mg of Vitamin E per day may in fact be harmful.......

And there are lots of other helpful supplements for the liver..... :) :) :)

Goosey 04-26-2005 03:35 AM

Hello HappyMan! I find following the different threads very interesting & I have to watch that I get my work done rather than reading too much! Thank you very much for your input. :)

What is the MSM your have referred to? And I have to say that I do not take any Vit E based on the same theary which I don't take a multi-vit or Vit A. I have started with Udo's Choice oil as I think it is a good balance for the good fats we need. I am reluctant to take a fish oil because of the Vit A thing again - if my appt on 18 May is good, I may take it in due course as I had been taking it in the past but it goes back to the Vit A thing again.

We have a very interesting book here by a DrGillianMcKeith called You Are What YOu Eat. It is the sort of thing I know you would really enjoy reading! I keep reading bits of it and my 22 yr old daughter is very in to it.
Take care, G ;) ;)

TheHappyMan 04-26-2005 11:42 AM

Hi Goosey ;) - To answer your question MSM (methlysulfonlymethane) is a "Superior natural relief for arthritic conditions"; effective for circulation & immune system; [COLOR=DarkRed]may be very helpful for liver diseases[/COLOR]. MSM Caps provide a high quality, bioavailable source of methylsulfonylmethane, an organic source of sulfur shown in clinical studies to have a beneficial effect on arthritic conditions. [COLOR=DarkRed]- and may be very beneficial to help with liver diseases due to its unique properties[/COLOR]. MSM has also been shown to improve blood circulation, relieve constipation and enhance the immune system - you can look it up on the internet.

I wont take the multi - vitamins either (because of the A and Iron) but I still take a take C and E (mixture) every day.

I have never heard of Udo's Choice Oil - [COLOR=Navy]I will have to look into the Vitamin A in the Fish Oil [/COLOR] because currently I am taking the Omega3 Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, and Primrose Oil on a daily basis. I will try to look up Udo's Choice oil on the internet and check it out.

Thanks for the Tips :D Take care :) :) :)

TheHappyMan 04-26-2005 11:55 AM

Hi Goosey - Happyman here again - I did a little researhing and it apperas that there is no Vitamin A (or any other Vitamins) that naturally occur in Omega 3 Fis Oil. Just EPA and DHA.

It appears that various Manufacturers offer "Combination" Supplements wherein they add extra Vitamins to the Fish Oil Supplement.

So you can buy it without any Vitamin A at all........

Just an F.Y.I
:) :) :) Have a nice day