HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   milk thistle (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/238611-milk-thistle.html)

TheHappyMan 04-26-2005 12:21 PM

Re: milk thistle

Hi Goosey - Another F.Y.I - The Udo's Choice Oil Supplement looks great (found it on the internet) - I will try to find some locally - thanks for the tip...... :bouncing:

I found it's ingredients are:

Flax oil
sunflower oil
sesame oil
oil from germ of rice and
medium chain triglycerides (MCT),
lecithin,
and d-alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E)

(see - they added a Vitamin in)

But this sounds like a great Product......
take care ;) ;) ;)

Kittydaddy 04-27-2005 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=TheHappyMan]Kittydaddy, I dont have a "liver doctor" but milk thistlse is the most universally accepted important "herb" for the liver (do some online research) - Vitamin E, the amino acid L-Cartinine (the L means it's "free form"), and Lecithin are also very helpful.......... Your doc is right about those...

New studies indicate >800 mg of Vitamin E per day may in fact be harmful.......

And there are lots of other helpful supplements for the liver..... :) :) :)[/QUOTE]

Happy,
Yes, I've read the reports and I am taking Milk Thistle myself.
Maybe the doctor has seen quicker results from these other items.
At the time he thought I had a fatty liver. (which is not the case, fortunetly)
And maybe in that case the Milk Thistle was not as effective.

TheHappyMan 04-28-2005 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=Kittydaddy]Happy,
Yes, I've read the reports and I am taking Milk Thistle myself.
Maybe the doctor has seen quicker results from these other items.
At the time he thought I had a fatty liver. (which is not the case, fortunetly)
And maybe in that case the Milk Thistle was not as effective.[/QUOTE]

Kittydaddy - Well, the way I look at it is that the Milk Thistle is cheap insurance with no negative side effects I know of..... :) :) :)

Michael01 04-28-2005 10:03 PM

GOOSEY: You asked what may have caused my ALT to be high. Sadly, it was from heavy drinking which I now have under control. You asked where I found the liver flush receipe. I don't remember since it was many months ago. It does work.

Mister G 05-04-2005 12:15 PM

Can you take too much Milk Thistle?

I am currently taking a Liver Cleanser (not Ultimate Liver Cleanser) that have a variety of things in it along with Milk Thistle. Each capsule contants 90mg of each item. I'm trying to take the three capsules a day (for a total of 270mg per day of milk thistle) but I have a very difficult time swallowing pills.

I have found "xxx Milk Thistle 1000mg softgels". Is this any good? I'd like to have to only take one a day as opposed to three times a day. What do you think? Will there be any side effects? I'm 47 and the last thing I need is flatulance or the runs.

(Opps sorry, didn't mean to post another websites name in violation of the rules. Edited.)

TheHappyMan 05-04-2005 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=Mister G]Can you take too much Milk Thistle?

I am currently taking a Liver Cleanser (not Ultimate Liver Cleanser) that have a variety of things in it along with Milk Thistle. Each capsule contants 90mg of each item. I'm trying to take the three capsules a day (for a total of 270mg per day of milk thistle) but I have a very difficult time swallowing pills.

I have found "xxx Milk Thistle 1000mg softgels". Is this any good? I'd like to have to only take one a day as opposed to three times a day. What do you think? Will there be any side effects? I'm 47 and the last thing I need is flatulance or the runs.

(Opps sorry, didn't mean to post another websites name in violation of the rules. Edited.)[/QUOTE]

Mister G - Hey there...... I have frequently heard of people taking 600 to 800 mg of Milk Thistle.... there are not supposed to be any negative side effects..... I would guess that 1000 mg is safe. You could easily research this on the internet by using a phrase like "Milk Thistle Dosing" in your search engine.

I take 600 to 800 mg a day and suffer no side effects....
I know of other people who only take 50 mg a day... but I dont think that is enough to benefit your body....

Have a nice day :) :) :)

Mister G 05-04-2005 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=TheHappyMan]Mister G - Hey there...... I have frequently heard of people taking 600 to 800 mg of Milk Thistle.... there are not supposed to be any negative side effects..... I would guess that 1000 mg is safe. You could easily research this on the internet by using a phrase like "Milk Thistle Dosing" in your search engine.

I take 600 to 800 mg a day and suffer no side effects....
I know of other people who only take 50 mg a day... but I dont think that is enough to benefit your body....

Have a nice day :) :) :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reponse HappyMan... Is there a liquid Milk Thistle that I can take? I hate pills.

TheHappyMan 05-04-2005 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mister G]Thanks for the quick reponse HappyMan... Is there a liquid Milk Thistle that I can take? I hate pills.[/QUOTE]

Mister G - You are welcome......
Yes there are Tons of different companies selling liquid milk Thistle...... just type "liquid milk thistle" into your search engne.... and viola !!!! :) :) :)

TataNaka 05-06-2005 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=Michael01]I brought down my ALT by doing a liver flush each morning on an empty stomach: juice of one lemon, 3oz aloe vera with 10 herbs, liquid milk thistle, liquid garlic extract and olive oil. Add some water. Mix and drink. Not at all unpleasant tasting. The liquid milk thistle comes in 2oz bottle. Liquid garlic extract comes in 2oz plastic container. Aloe Vera with 10 herbs comes in 32 oz plastic container. I think it's Lilly of the Valley. The daily liver flush is your best bet. It worked for me.[/QUOTE] Is this safe to do on an empty stomach if one has gastric problems?

TheHappyMan 05-06-2005 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=TataNaka]Is this safe to do on an empty stomach if one has gastric problems?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Liquid Milk Thistle or Capsules are fine on an empty stomach.... But I wouldnt exceed 1000 mg (1 Gram) a day :) :) :)