It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Daughter's red hands

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User
    Daughter's red hands

I recently took my daughter to the doctor for her red hands (she has had this symptom since she was 6 months old) and a variety of other problems.

Her test results came back with several abnormal results pointing to liver disease (at least that's what seems to be coming up in my research of these tests).

Abnormal results are (she is 20 months old):

glucose-57 (low) Range is: 65-99
    creatinine-.3 (low) Range is: .5-1.2
    bun/creatinine ratio- 37 (high) Range is: 6-25
    carbon dioxide- 19 (low) Range is: 21-33
    AST- 36 (high) Range is: 2-35
    MCV- 86.8 (high) Range is: 70-86

I would appreciate any help!!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
    acpass

acpass HB User
    Re: Daughter's red hands

I see no one has posted to your post. So I'll try my best.

I work in the pediatric population, so working around kids in the hospital is my life. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know what your dx is, but I can say that kids are very resilient and can take a lot more than we as adults can, simply because they repair their little bodies so well.

Let's look at the test results:

glucose-57 (low) Range is: 65-99

This is simply a measure of sugar available to your body for fuel. This number can be low due to lack of appetite, not eating lately, etc. My sugar is probably 40 when I get out of bed in the morning, so I wouldn't worry about glucose too much...unless it is WAY high...or WAY low

creatinine-.3 (low) Range is: .5-1.2

Every hospital is different for ranges just like they are weight. Creatinine of .3 is low, but may only be temporarily so, not to bad, but you have to look at the ratio, which you have posted below.

bun/creatinine ratio- 37 (high) Range is: 6-25 This range is a little high, but could be a result of several things, all of which you have probably read about...don't fret until your doctor gives you more info on the range of tests.

carbon dioxide- 19 (low) Range is: 21-33

My CO2 is always high, not low...go figure....doctors don't worry about this so much except when looking at a CBC and looking at your Hem/Hct levels.

AST- 36 (high) Range is: 2-35

Again, we are talking ranges here. If your box of cookies says cook for 25 minutes and you cook them for 26 minutes, they will more than likely come out and taste the same...sorry, bad analogy, but you see what I mean.

MCV- 86.8 (high) Range is: 70-86

This is only high because it says so, once again a range thing.

Now, what do all these mean together. Get a second opinion for sure, don't always settle for the first doctor, even when you trust them. It's always good to get a copy of the tests and send to another doc for a second opinion.

Don't know if I've helped, but I think it helps having someone to tell your story too..

Tony

Closed Thread