It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Question from a nervous sister - Help Please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User
    Question from a nervous sister - Help Please

Hi everybody, I am would very grateful if anyone could answer my questions. I usually post on the anxiety boards, hence the "nervous sister" title! My brother called me the other night, and said that he had seen a show on TV about cirhossis of the liver. My brother has always been a drinker, heavy back in college days (he is now 40), moderate now, but I think sometimes he still binges. I am pretty sure he has at least a few drinks (beer or wine mostly) everyday. He is in what appears to be good health, and eats well, and excercises mildly. Anyway, after he saw this show, he called to say it scared him to death and he isn't going to drink anymore. He hasn't had a drink in 3 days, which is long for him, as far as I know. He asked me if I knew what else he could do to help himself, and I said to take milk thistle, which I had read about here, even though he has no confirmation of any liver disease. (He hasn't seen a doc. in a while) So, I guess my questions are: are there any early symptoms of liver disease that he (or I )might notice if he starts drinking again? And if he stays sober, is it helpful to take the milk thistle even if he doesn't have a diagnosed liver disease? And how long does it take your liver to heal once you are sober? ( I know the liver is amazingly regenerative, but I don't know what to tell him about time lines). I thank you for reading and would appreciate any insight anyone can give me. Marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 04-25-2005 at 11:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User
    Re: Question from a nervous sister - Help Please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marirose
    Hi everybody, I am would very grateful if anyone could answer my questions. I usually post on the anxiety boards, hence the "nervous sister" title! My brother called me the other night, and said that he had seen a show on TV about cirhossis of the liver. My brother has always been a drinker, heavy back in college days (he is now 40), moderate now, but I think sometimes he still binges. I am pretty sure he has at least a few drinks (beer or wine mostly) everyday. He is in what appears to be good health, and eats well, and excercises mildly. Anyway, after he saw this show, he called to say it scared him to death and he isn't going to drink anymore. He hasn't had a drink in 3 days, which is long for him, as far as I know. He asked me if I knew what else he could do to help himself, and I said to take milk thistle, which I had read about here, even though he has no confirmation of any liver disease. (He hasn't seen a doc. in a while) So, I guess my questions are: are there any early symptoms of liver disease that he (or I )might notice if he starts drinking again? And if he stays sober, is it helpful to take the milk thistle even if he doesn't have a diagnosed liver disease? And how long does it take your liver to heal once you are sober? ( I know the liver is amazingly regenerative, but I don't know what to tell him about time lines). I thank you for reading and would appreciate any insight anyone can give me. Marirose
    Hi Marirose - if your Brother called you, so concerned, then maybe he has noticed something that he hasnt told you about.....
    There are a wide variety of early signs of liver problems...You can find the info all over internet......
    Just type liver problems into your search engine...

Since he has stopped drinking he must be a bit concerned... Milk Thistle is excellent for the liver... there are a number of other herbs and supplements that he could take to improve liver condition too .....

Dandelion, Artichoke, Schizandra, Burdock, Sam-e, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Lecithin, and there are many others.......

But maybe your Brothers first step should be to get a liver "panel" blood test. He can do this with his doctor or he can do it privately.... with a "health screening" organization.... This will tell him if he has a problem.

I drink in moderation and take many of these "supplements" for cheap insurance and peace of mind... From my experience there are ALSO positive side effects... like a boosted immune system so you dont catch colds so easily.

And "Yes" it would help to take the Milk Thistle even if your brother never drinks again....

Oh well, hope this has been of some help.......

Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

HI Happy Man - Thanks for the helpful response. I am going to take a look into those other suppliments you mentioned...do you take all those every day? Just curious if that is how it works. I will try to talk my brother into a doctor visit, but since I am a hypochondriac, maybe I am worried about nothing. (AGAIN!) Anyway, my brother is my closest family member so of course I want the best for him, so it is reassuring to me that you drink moderately and are still in good health. Do you mind if I ask if you had the "panel" test done and if so, did you continue to drink in moderation and did your test results improve with the use of these suppliments? I am so sorry to be so personal, but my dad has HepC contracted through a blood transfusion years ago, and has had a lot of health problems, of course, and so that scares me for my brother even more! I would hate to see my brother suffer the way my dad does...my dad was an unwitting victim of a tainted blood transfusion, but my brother has a choice....Thanks again for your help ~ If these questions are too personal, please don't hesitate to say so. Marirose

Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    HI Happy Man - Thanks for the helpful response. I am going to take a look into those other suppliments you mentioned...do you take all those every day? Just curious if that is how it works. I will try to talk my brother into a doctor visit, but since I am a hypochondriac, maybe I am worried about nothing. (AGAIN!) Anyway, my brother is my closest family member so of course I want the best for him, so it is reassuring to me that you drink moderately and are still in good health. Do you mind if I ask if you had the "panel" test done and if so, did you continue to drink in moderation and did your test results improve with the use of these suppliments? I am so sorry to be so personal, but my dad has HepC contracted through a blood transfusion years ago, and has had a lot of health problems, of course, and so that scares me for my brother even more! I would hate to see my brother suffer the way my dad does...my dad was an unwitting victim of a tainted blood transfusion, but my brother has a choice....Thanks again for your help ~ If these questions are too personal, please don't hesitate to say so. Marirose
    Hi Marirose - Happyman here... You are welcome for the information. And your questions are not too personal at all...
    Yes, I take these supplements (and a few others) every day. Yes, I have had the "liver panel" a number of times - we have a Health Screening organization here ("Cholestcheck") and they set-up in local department and drug stores every month or so and offer a liver test, amomg others. This is all low cost and done without a doctor or his prescription. They prik your finger and dont use a syringe. But going to a real doc is O.K. too. I like the health screening because you get the results "on the spot".....

Well, I took the test about two months ago and my liver enzymes came back rather high..... so I sarted on the supplements and then retested again in a month and the enzymes had come way down. So did my cholesterol. Then I retested again about two weeks ago and the enzymes had come down even more and are near normal.
    So, I have continued to take the supplements, feel better than ever, and am going to retest again in the near future....

I can see you care for your Brother a lot. He is very lucky.
    He probably should get a liver panel test from a doc or health screening just so he knows where he stands.
    I wish your brother well. I am convinced the supplements helped me and I feel so much better
    Let me know what happens.....

Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #5
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Happy Man - Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this. You have made me feel so much better! I will be seeing my brother over the weekend, and I will tell him all you told me, so at least he (and I - who seems to be worrying alot more than he does ) will know where he stands. Like I said, I am learning to live with anxiety, so maybe I am looking for a problem that doesn't exist, but why not check it out, right? You are such a good person to take the time to answer these questions for me! I wish you good health & will update you as soon as I talk to my brother! Thanks again for your kindness - Marirose

Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User
    Wink Re: Question from a nervous sister - Help Please

HI Happy Man - Just wanted to update you and thank you again...my brother went to the doctor today and got a physical...the doctor said that his liver "felt" perfectly fine (according to my brother, the doc. said it was the right size, which if it was too big would be an indicator for further study, and also didn't feel hard) Anyhow, that satisified my brother, and I plan to present him with a big jar of milk thistle over the weekend when I see him - just in case! (gotta love us hypochondriacs...I am still going to press him to get blood tests, but after the doc.'s ok today, I think I am not going to get too far! ) Anyway, thanks again for welcoming me on this board and answering my questions! Marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 04-27-2005 at 06:15 PM.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    HI Happy Man - Just wanted to update you and thank you again...my brother went to the doctor today and got a physical...the doctor said that his liver "felt" perfectly fine (according to my brother, the doc. said it was the right size, which if it was too big would be an indicator for further study, and also didn't feel hard) Anyhow, that satisified my brother, and I plan to present him with a big jar of milk thistle over the weekend when I see him - just in case! (gotta love us hypochondriacs...I am still going to press him to get blood tests, but after the doc.'s ok today, I think I am not going to get too far! ) Anyway, thanks again for welcoming me on this board and answering my questions! Marirose
    Hello Marirose - I am glad things went well at the Doc's today that must be a relief to the two of you. And presenting him with a jar of Milk Thistle is a great idea.....

We are all Hyprochondriacs sort of

Again you are welcome for any help that I could provide. I'll bet You and your Brother are breathing a little easier !!!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

At the top of the page there's a thread, "Milk Thistle". Take a look at my message dated 01/16/2005 about a mild liver flush. I would urge him to do this every day for a month. Afterwards, the first seven days of the month ongoing. It worked for me and it has worked for others. Also, there's an excellent product called Ultimate Liver Cleanse (do a search). I also take this. There's a lot he can do to help himself rather than depending on doctors. After he has done all of the above for 6 months, he should go for blood tests. He has his age on his side since he couldn't have been drinking that many years being only 40. Even for those who don't drink occasionally doing a mild liver flush is very beneficial. Your liver will love it.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Michael - Thanks for the advice. I will definitely read your other thread about milk thistle & liver cleansing. I think I am more worried about my brother's liver than he is as you can see by reading this post, but his children's mother is not living a healthy lifestyle by any means, so if I can give him a little guidance, and get him to stay healthy, that would be a big boost to everyone. May I ask you, do you drink, and did the liver cleansing and flushing restore your heatlh or are you a healthy person who is taking precautions to stay that way? I ask because I am curious how these liver products work for someone who drinks ( I am sure my brother will drink again, esp. since the doc. said his liver is ok during his physical - although I wonder if there could be something going on even if his liver feels normal to the doc. is this possible or is this the worrywart in me coming out?) Thanks for any advice. Marirose

Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Marirose: Yes, I did drink and heavily. As a result of this drinking a blood test revealed a high ALT. I was well on my way to serious liver damage. Obviously, this concerned me. I did a lot of online research and discovered the liver cleanse and Ultimate Liver Cleanse which I did religiously. I also took large amounts of supplements (vitamins, minerals, trace minerals and antioxidants). The following blood tests revealed a normal ALT and so were the other liver tests (AST, LDH, Bilirubin, ALP & Albumin). I was so very relieved. I continue to do the liver flush although not every day and take the Ultimate Liver Cleanse Tablets although not every day. Prevention is the best medicine. Hope this message helps.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Michael - Thanks so much for the information & for your honest replies. That makes me feel a lot better that there are good things out there that can help my brother. I am hoping to talk him into at least taking milk thistle tablets & ultimate liver cleanse if they come in tablet form, because I can honestly not see him taking the time to mix up the liver flushes you recommended. Like I said, I think I am more concerned than he is, but then, I am more concerned about EVERYTHING than he is Anyway, thanks again for being so honest & helpful. I will research the ultimate liver cleanse asap. You have all been so helpful on this board, I really appreciate it! marirose

Old 05-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Hi Michael - Thanks so much for the information & for your honest replies. That makes me feel a lot better that there are good things out there that can help my brother. I am hoping to talk him into at least taking milk thistle tablets & ultimate liver cleanse if they come in tablet form, because I can honestly not see him taking the time to mix up the liver flushes you recommended. Like I said, I think I am more concerned than he is, but then, I am more concerned about EVERYTHING than he is Anyway, thanks again for being so honest & helpful. I will research the ultimate liver cleanse asap. You have all been so helpful on this board, I really appreciate it! marirose
    Hi Marirose - Sorry for taking so long to get back to you - Michael sounds like he is on the "Right Track" and very Smart - This "Ultimate Liver Cleanse" is a composite supplement which contains a lot of things..... I take many of these supplements (not all - a few I have never heard of)

Remember - you were going to get your Brother to get a Liver Panel (blood test) - This is a first step.....

My personal recommendations for herbal supplements include -

Garlic
    Artichoke leaf extract (cyhara scolymus)
    Dandelion extract (root)
    Milk Thistle extract (seed)
    Turmeric extract (rhizome)
    Barberry extract (root bark)
    Schisandra extract (fruit)
    Burdock Root
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)

Oh well, Things always have a way of working themselves out for the Best !!!!! I guess God takes care of that for us ..........

Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #13
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

HI Happy Man - Thanks for keeping in touch. I gave my brother the milk thistle over the weekend and he just sort of gave me a look and put it on his kitchen counter. I am hoping it won't just sit there and collect dust, but he is perfectly satisfied that he is healthy after seeing the doc. for a physical and says if the doc. thought he needed blood tests, the doc. would have ordered them. So I don't think I am going to be able to talk him into a liver panel. I guess at this point I may have to "butt out". But, after reading around this board, I don't think I am of the same mind. I think he could still have high blood levels and not have an enlarged liver, but who am I to argue with the doctor. I am rushing a bit this morning, but will read over your list of suppliments later today and hope you will answer any questions if I come up with them. Once again, thank you so much for keeping in touch. It really helps alot. Marirose

Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
    Michael01
    Inactive

Michael01 HB User

You said, "who am I to argue with a doctor". I would. My former barber never smoked. His shop was across the street from the Queens Midtown Tunnel for 22 years. In nice weather he kept the door opened as millions of cars, trucks and buses passed his shop. He asked his doctor that he felt he should have a chest xray. Doctor's reply: "you don't smoke, your lungs seem fine therefore no reason for a xray. Two years later he insisted and the doctor reluctantly said OK. The xray disclosed a very large mass. The bottom line: Stage 3B non operable lung cancer. He has since died. I've always been my own doctor. Every two years on my own, I go for a CT Lung Scan (I'm a former smoker plus live in a pollutted city). Every three years on my own, I go for a CT Heart Scan. And every three years I insist on a colonoscopy. And every year I have blood tests. I'm very proactive when it comes to my health which has annoyed the doctor (and who cares). Six months ago on my own I went for a series of tests for Stroke Screening (carotid artery, abdominal aortic and peripheral arterial) which costs me $125. If I have a problem, I want to know in the early stages. According to Dr. Merola the leading cause of deaths in the USA is Doctors, Hospitals and Prescription Drugs. The doctor has criticised me for taking so many supplements (again, who cares). Doctors make there living treating people. They have no interest in Prevention. Prevention is the best medicine. Didn't mean to preach but your comment needed a reply.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #15
    TheHappyMan
    Veteran
    (male)

Well put Michael01 - we have to take care of ourselves in this jungle - Did you know the U.N codex organization is trying to prevent the sale of supplements and vitamins in the U.K right now - they have already succeded to a certin degree in Austrailia and they would love to do it here.

And guess who is behind a good part of this - The big Drug Companies !!!!!!!! They dont want you to be able to heal yourself !!!!

But I dont think they will succeed in the united States.....

Closed Thread