It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Help! Worried about my ALT/AST levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2005, 06:02 AM   #1
    truthfunction
    (male)

truthfunction HB User
    Help! Worried about my ALT/AST levels

First, thank you for readig this. I went in for a regular physical last week, and got the results of my blood test yesterday. My ALT measure is 100, and my AST is 38. My doctor has scheduled me for a sonagram next week. She told me not to worry, but I can't help it. I am quite wooried. I am a 43 year old male in [what I thought was] relatively good health. I do have high cholesterol though. (Total Count=234) I drink very rarely (once or twice a month), and then only one or two drinks. Now, I live in San Antonio, Texas, and we have allergens. I know I have taken Tylensol Allergy several times a week for several years now. My doctor told me to stop taking any/all acetaminophen products for a month and then she will run the test again. I worry, and tend to think the worst: Hep, liver cancer, etc. I just found this board and consider it a true blessing. Thanks so much for reading my post and if possible posting. God bless.
    -John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
    OhioMOM
    Inactive
    (female)

OhioMOM HB User
    Re: Help! Worried about my ALT/AST levels

i would wait before i worried! there are lots of reasons LFT's can be elevated.... tylenol could be one! my numbers have been in the thousands for alt and ast!! hang in there and do what the doc says.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
    Timek
    (male)

Timek HB User

John,

I almost fit your profile exactly. I am:
    male
    age 43
    150 lbs.
    5' 6"
    high cholesterol (200)
    ALT 92
    AST 45 (still in normal range)
    rarely drink
    moderately active
    I do have high blood pressure

My first blood test was in Jan when my ALT was 80 something. In May it was 97 and a week later 92. The doctor ordered hep test which came back negative. She said not to worry and we'll do another test in August. If it is still high then she will order other tests (probably sonogram), but she didn't go into details.

I try not to worry now, although sometimes I can't help it. I mean everything feels normal. I do admit that since my blood pressure has been normal for six months now, I do feel much better overall. But the liver #s still make me crazy. It doesn't appear that these scores are cause for alarm. I am definitely going to exercise more, eat better and lose 10-15 lbs. That is what the doc wants me to do and I will definitely shed the extra pounds. I read in some of the posts that losing weight, lowering cholesterol, brings down the liver #s. I hope so.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your situation and I'll do the same. It is really great to compare notes.

Tim

Old 06-04-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
    ryu1977
    (male)

ryu1977 HB User

Hi John and Tim

Slight-to-moderate elevations of ALT (usually with higher increases in AST levels) may appear in any condition that produces acute hepatocellular (liver cell) injury, such as active cirrhosis, and drug-induced or alcoholic hepatitis.

Marginal elevations occasionally occur in acute myocardial infarction (heart attack), reflecting secondary hepatic congestion or the release of small amounts of ALT from heart tissue.

Many medications produce hepatic injury by competitively interfering with cellular metabolism. Falsely elevated ALT levels can follow use of barbiturates, narcotics, methotrexate, chlorpromazine salicylates (aspirin), and other drugs that affect the liver.

I hope this could be useful

Good luck and let us know your next test result.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:25 AM   #5
    meatball
    (female)

meatball HB User

My ast/alt levels also climbed into the 1,000's. I too was extremely worried. Never had liver problems before but sure enough, they found out I had mono and within weeks the numbers came back down. As a lot of people have stated up above, there a number of reasons as to why your numbers are high. Please don't worry until there is a reason to. An ultrasound will also give you a great piece of mind.. hang in there and post back when you can.

Closed Thread