It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• "DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RESEARCH OR HERBS OR ANYTHING THAT HELPS CIRRHOSIS?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
    purrrrdygirl
    (female)

purrrrdygirl HB User
    Question "DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RESEARCH OR HERBS OR ANYTHING THAT HELPS CIRRHOSIS?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ,my Mom Has Cirrhosis Hip B And C.... She Is Not Eligabel For A Transplant Or Interferon Or Those Kinds Of Treatment's... What I Am Looking For Is This>.....if Anyone Is Doing Reaserch On Liver Cirrhosis? Any Treatment Idea's Or Just Know Or Herd Anything About It? ...im Gasping For Air Here.... Thanks Alot ,tina And Family

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 04:43 AM   #2
    shteve
    (male)

shteve HB User
    Lightbulb Re: "DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RESEARCH OR HERBS OR ANYTHING THAT HELPS CIRRHOSIS?

Dr Sandra Cabot writes about liver cleansing, and sets out diets, with herbs and juices and so on. I don't know about the more severe liver ailments, but after two months of following her advice I enjoyed a complete change. The great thing about her advice is that it works just like she promises. Good luck and I hope it helps you breathe easy. Oh yeah - post results and recommendations.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-22-2005 at 05:38 AM. Reason: ... to remove search instructions - not allowed - please follow posting rules

Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #3
    OhioMOM
    Inactive
    (female)

OhioMOM HB User
    Re: "DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RESEARCH OR HERBS OR ANYTHING THAT HELPS CIRRHOSIS?

i went to a conference at which she was invited to speak a few years ago... the people there had hep or pbc, these are chronic liver diseases.... she admitted that there were no studies done to prove her theory and that in fact, all this was, was a theory. she sat on a panel with doctors from the mayo, mt. sinai, columbia and New England Medical Center, all world class Liver facilities... by the end of the panel discussion she looked pretty bad in my opinion.

there are books that are endorsed by the american liver foundation, and you can also read up on their site, the mayo site, or cleveland clinic site....

some books that have great information on herbals include books by melissa palmer of nyc, and howard worman of columbia...

in chronic disease many herbs can be toxic, things like dandelion should not be used. i would read up on herbs and discuss with a hepatologist before going any further.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
    shteve
    (male)

shteve HB User
    Re: "DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY RESEARCH OR HERBS OR ANYTHING THAT HELPS CIRRHOSIS?

Experience is what matters - when the change has been made, you know it. I know that Cabot's advice did what it said it would, and when you find something like that you ought to take it seriously, for life. Try it for yourself and trust your body's response.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
    OhioMOM
    Inactive
    (female)

OhioMOM HB User

and what liver disease do you have? will you need a transplant?

Old 07-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #6
    shteve
    (male)

shteve HB User

Fair enough. I have represented people with Hepatitis, and know that professionals create a lot of fuss and hassle without getting results. I just want people to know that there is something that works, although it's proven to me only in mild circumstances. Why not give it a go?

Old 07-23-2005, 05:56 AM   #7
    OhioMOM
    Inactive
    (female)

OhioMOM HB User

you have represented people how? i do advocacy work across the country for people with liver disease. i attend conference after conference, read all the literature, consult with the best doctors in the world, both mainstream and alternative and would advocate any care that has the potential to work and is grounded in sound research. the danger in some of the alternative treatments are enormous. there are people with autoimmune liver disorders that will gain no positive benefit from these therapies. simply speaking, their autoimmune systems dont work, the diets cant change that, and yet there are people who see that as a replacement for medical care based on years of research. is grapfruit juice good for liver patients in drug therapy? possibly not, grapefruit has been shown to reduce the effects of many drugs. so some of the foods in these diets are simply not good for people with serious liver problems.

while i admit, that the diets seem healthy for some, and that they might cure a night out drinking, or some minor problem. it is best to leave the cure all to the professionals who use medical data to prescribe!

the other danger is that people will grasp at anything for help. ignoring the clinical data.
    i respect your willingness to help, but i think we all have to be careful. i would not want my advice to replace a doctors, or for someone not to take theri meds because they believe a diet will cure them!

all the best.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

The only thing that I have read about that as far as herbal that actually helps with Cirrosis and liver problems, is Milk Thistle. My husband had Hep C, and has some degree of Cirrosis as a result. Milk Thistle is supposed to revjuvinate the liver. I gave it to him for a while, but he is free of the Hep C now, so I no longer give that to him.

We were fortunate that I have insurance and he went thru a year of Rebetron therapy which put him into remission. That was five years ago, and he is still clear. I praise God for it working for him! He had been on Intron A therapy only twice, and it did nothing for him (except make him feel bad).

One very important thing, is absolutely no alcohol! His doctor told him that drinking was like throwing gasoline in a flame, it made it so much worse! You have to be careful of some medications also.

Good luck, my heart goes out to you and your family!

Old 07-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #9
    purrrrdygirl
    (female)

purrrrdygirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlejmb
    The only thing that I have read about that as far as herbal that actually helps with Cirrosis and liver problems, is Milk Thistle. My husband had Hep C, and has some degree of Cirrosis as a result. Milk Thistle is supposed to revjuvinate the liver. I gave it to him for a while, but he is free of the Hep C now, so I no longer give that to him.

We were fortunate that I have insurance and he went thru a year of Rebetron therapy which put him into remission. That was five years ago, and he is still clear. I praise God for it working for him! He had been on Intron A therapy only twice, and it did nothing for him (except make him feel bad).

One very important thing, is absolutely no alcohol! His doctor told him that drinking was like throwing gasoline in a flame, it made it so much worse! You have to be careful of some medications also.

Good luck, my heart goes out to you and your family!
    thank u all.. i will deffantly read ,sandras book and look into the liver foundation info,i thank u all for your advice.... littlejmb i am soooooooooooooooo very happy for you and your husband....i thank god for u to have the joy of knowing he is hep c free..that is a beautiful blessing.... i do have a question though i do know about milk thistle thank -you for telling me also,but in order to keep the cirrhosis under control don't u have to continue taking it? or if u don't drink at all does it not progress? thank -you

Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #10
    Chris828828
    (male)

Chris828828 HB User

well i have a question, did your mom get it from drinking? if she did i have some answers

Old 12-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
    lynalhaugen

lynalhaugen HB User

I have end stage liver disease and have heard Milk Thistle can help with liver disease. I intend to try it, after reading extensively about it on the web. You may want to look into this as I have heard some pretty amazing results have been obtained. God Bless.

Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #12
    CINDERELLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CINDERELLA HB User

ive heard milk thistle is good for cirrhosis, do some research on google it may help

Closed Thread