It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Birth Control Pills and Elevated Enzymes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
    Ms_T
    (female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
    Question Birth Control Pills and Elevated Enzymes

I know we have discussed this throughout the boards, but I need some reassurance. About two weeks ago my enzymes were elevated ALT=55, AST=43. I was taking lipitor 5mg and birth control pills, I had also have some sort of virus the week before the test with a high fever, etc. After the elevated results I went off the lipitor, and it was my week off the birth control pills for my period. I had my blood retested last Wed. and the enzymes had gone back down ALT=25, AST=24. Now, my dilemma has been whether I should take the birth control pills again (not to mention the lipitor, I will deal with that later.) My internist and gyn think my enzymes were elevated due to the virus. I started my birth control pills today, and of course I am obsessing over my liver, (does it hurt?, Are my eyes and skin yellow?, etc). I am going to go back to the GYN next month to get tested again to make sure my liver isn't aggravated by the pills. I know this is most likely the best way to go, but I am so nervous and I don't want to be afraid all month. I feel like I will always be checking (eyes, skin, etc.) no matter what. Will I ever get past the obsession? Also, do you guys think the birth control pills could really cause a major problem? I have been on them for years and was never afraid or had any problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread