It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Liver Failure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Question Liver Failure

Hi Everyone. I have a question. My Brother-in-law has had psorosis of the liver and hepititis C for years. He was hanging in there but he recently fell off a ladder painting his house and the stupid Doctor didn't do enough tests on him. They thought he tore his colon so they did surgery. His colon was fine but the doctor tied some loose veins on his liver. After that he really started to fail. He is in the hospital and his bilirubin's went up to 27. He is very yellow, his urin is dark and his blood isn't clotting good. He also filled up with fluid. They are going to drain it with a needle tomorrow. They can't understand why he can still ubderstand everything. They said he should be incoherent or in a coma. He also has gall stones. He has been like this for about two weeks now. Does anyone think he has a chance of living through this? Please be honest. It sounds pretty bad to me. He is only 51 years old and my family is sick over this. If he is going to die, does anyone know how long it takes for a person in liver failure to die?
    Thank You and God Bless

Last edited by Krishon; 11-22-2005 at 12:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
    Chris828828
    (male)

Chris828828 HB User
    Re: Liver Failure

how did your brother get it in the first place? I mean was he ever involved with liquor?

Last edited by Chris828828; 11-22-2005 at 04:22 PM.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User
    Unhappy Re: Liver Failure

Hi Chris,
    Yes, He is an Alcoholic but he had just quit drinking before he fell off the ladder. He was doing pretty good before he fell. He was working and living normal. The Doctors said the surgury made his liver fail. He is now in intensive care and his kidneys are failing. He also has a staff infection. They couldn't drain the fluid in him because it almost caused a heart attack. He is completely juantice (spelling).
    The told my sister that he is going to die. Do you or anybody else know how long it takes someone to die with this condition? He is in Critical condition. Thank God He is not in pain. I heard it could take a day to a few months just lingering. Thank you for responding Chris.
    God Bless You. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. Of course we didn't celebrate.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
    sonnie
    (female)

sonnie HB User

Please DO NOT give up. I understand very little about liver failure. I too have Hep c with chirrohis (non-alcoholic related) and am considered to be in what is termed "end stage liver disease." The only person I know that had liver failure was a nurse that I knew. I had not seen her in awhile and when I did she said she was recovering from liver failure. I questioned her and she had self treated herself with cold medicine and over medicated and it caused liver failure. Now, I realize that liver failure from a diseased liver is more serious and probably life threatening, but miracles do happen. Comfort your sister, and pray. My prayers are with you.
    Sonnie

Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
    Krishon
    (female)

Krishon HB User

Thank You Sonnie.
    I won't give up. I do comfort my sister but she is very depressed.
    I want you to know that I am going to Pray for you too.
    God Bless You.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
    lynalhaugen

lynalhaugen HB User

I have cirrhosis of the liver and was diagnosed in January this year. By the time I went to the emergency room at the hospital I was in very poor shape. I am a 5'9'' female, 45 years old and only weighed about 115lbs at the time. I was suffering from severe malnutrition, ascites (fluid in the abdominal cavity), dementia, diarrhoea and stomach ulcers. After 3 days in the hospital my veins collapsed, I couldn't breath and when they placed an oxygen mask on me I threw up and it all ended up in my lungs. After that I blacked out and was taken to ICU where I spent the next 12 days with my life hanging in the balance. From there I was placed in a nursing home for the next five weeks (Try to avoid nursing homes at all costs, beleive me). From there I was sent home to die. Then a wonderful thing happened, I was asked if I would like to have Hospice services at home. I agreed, they are the most wonderful people you will ever meet. After five months they graduated me from the program as I was too well. I would highly recomend Hospice to anyone who has been diagnosed as terminal. Well they told me I would live only two months, that was back in March and I am feeling incredibaly well and this is December 1st.
    Good luck and God bless.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:43 AM   #7
    KDGMOM
    (female)

KDGMOM HB User

Lynalhaugen,

How did you get cirhosis? Why hasn't your doctor put you on the liver transplant list? Hope everything is well.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
    lynalhaugen

lynalhaugen HB User

KDGMOM,
    Alchohol was the cause of my cirrhosis. Stress was a major factor in all of this. I lost my job of 12 years to a major lay-off, then I lost my house, $75,000 in stock, my Mom had a major stroke (she's now in a nursing home), my son was sent to Iraq and I hit the bottle. Incidentally, I am from England and can't run home to my family for support as they are all over there. The Doctor said I probably wouldn't get on the transplant list as I am doing too well. However, if I take a turn for the worse they will then put me on the list which is very long and I have ben told I will probably die before receiving a transplant that way. Kind of a catch 22 situation. I generally keep a good attitude though. Faith in God always helps.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #9
    chrisboli
    (female)

chrisboli HB User

What did you drink? How much? You are so young? God Bless!

Old 12-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #10
    lynalhaugen

lynalhaugen HB User

Unfortunately, hard liquor (Bacardi) for about 18 months. Before that I only drank beer and then only on a Friday or Saturday night. They did say my liver was small and had rare veins present so maybe that also contributed to my condition. From what I read everyone has a different tolerence to alcohol. Some people drink all their lives and are never affected. It has been proven though, that women have less of a tolerence. I feel that I must mention here that one of my Hospice nurses goes to church where the minister was in an even worse situation than mine (liver like mush). He stopped drinking and became a minister, that was over twenty years ago. So I hope this gives a little reassurance to people in this situation.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it would be really interesting to find out just what in the heck the surgeon did during the actual surgery and why in the heck they went in to repair a colon that did not need it??there ARE tests they could have run that would have told them whether or not there was any kind of a tear in the colon.i just don't really understand the WHY.also,what did they do exactly with those veins in the liver?i don't quite understand THAT either.do these docs actually know what in the heck they are doing?i do think you may want to change hospitals,really,it does not sound like they really know just what they are doing there.Your brothers condition deteriorated right after the surgery so "something' they did had a hand in this.he does however have some options here.they can do a liver Tx still.he can also get a partial liver donation if you can find a cross match with a family memeber or someone outside of the family.my husband was going to donate part of his liver to our son at one point but when my sons Dx was changed and they found out that he would need an entirely new liver,that was unfortunetly not a possibility anymore.

it sounds like your brother is also suffering from portal hypertension which i am willing to bet was broeught on when they did something to his portal vein and it became blocked,this happened to my son but it was just from the scar tissue that had grown over the portal vein and blocked it.there is a procedure called TIPS(transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt.wow can't believe i still remember that after six years)anyway,they snake this little stent down into the liver in a vein and it allows the blood to reflow through the liver again.but you do lose the ability of the liver to actually clear the accumlated ammonia that is normally processed through the liver,everyone has ammonia in there bodies if they eat any protien.protien when broken down turns to ammonia.if this is not cleared it will build up into the brain(the brain cells for some reason are just very senstive to ammonia and its effects)causing cell death and a condition called hepatic encephalopathy(not sure if i spelled that right)but this will cause brain damage and possible coma and death if it is not being continually cleared from the body.

Your brothers condition is 'treatable" to a point and his life can also be saved by a Tx but you need to make certain that everything that can be done for him actually is.I would actually get a second opinon on his overall condition and also get copies of the op notes from that surgery and see just what the heck went on in there.all you have to do,or your brother really would need to make this request,is contact the medical records dept and ask for copies of ALL documents that have been generated by his stay and treatment for this and they will gather them up and give them to you,your brother will have to sign a release of information first but you should not have any sort of a problem obtaining this stuff.If you do,something is definitely going on here.also request labs and any test results on things the tested for like radiology type testing or anything else.then start going through things.you can also take these records to another doc just to have him or her check into whether or not your brother is actually getting the proper care.personally,from what you have stated here,it does not sound to me like he has been getting any REAL care at all. only problems that were actually caused or aggrevated by some stupid docs and a totally unnescessary surgical procedure and what they did to his 'veins'>I really cannot fathom just what the doc ment by 'loose veins".you need to get a full and total explanation as to just what his actual condition is and what the heck went on in that OR.really.something just does not sound right to me.Please keep me posted.i hope things stay stable for your brother.start asking some big questions of these treating docs,you do deserve some answers and accountability.hang in there,Marcia

Closed Thread