It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Draining Ascites

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
    Celestine
    Veteran
    (female)

Celestine HB User
    Draining Ascites

I'm pretty new to all of this stuff but in the last month my dad has been diagnosed with Hep C and Cirrosis. He is suffering right now from severe swelling in his gut. He is extremely uncomfortable, can't eat much and feels absolutely awful. Is there a reason why the docs are refusing to drain the fluid? They gave him some water pills to try and get it to go away but they don't seem to be doing anything. Can't they just drain it out or is there something I'm missing with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Post Re: Draining Ascites

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celestine
    I'm pretty new to all of this stuff but in the last month my dad has been diagnosed with Hep C and Cirrosis. He is suffering right now from severe swelling in his gut. He is extremely uncomfortable, can't eat much and feels absolutely awful. Is there a reason why the docs are refusing to drain the fluid? They gave him some water pills to try and get it to go away but they don't seem to be doing anything. Can't they just drain it out or is there something I'm missing with it?
    Celestine,
    You're right often times they do drain ascites especially if it's causing that much discomfort. I would say if it hasn't responded to the water pills and your dad is still feeling bad then I would have him evaluated and treated at the ER.

Closed Thread