It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• HIGH liver enzyms, HIGH IRON,HIGH ANA HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
    momo4boys
    (female)

momo4boys HB User
    Unhappy HIGH liver enzyms, HIGH IRON,HIGH ANA HELP

hi all,

new to the boards. i am posting here inthe liver forum, but my moms problem is involved with liver and iron issues..

mom is 73, 5'0 tall, 100 lbs, asian, healthy otherwise, quit smoking 40 years ago. only meds are low dose of water pills.

3 weeks ago, jaundice skin, yellow eyewhites, lack of appetite, low energy. went in on the 17 had some bloodwork. ast 800, alt 800, iron 303, iron sat 90%, next day had cat scan the good news NO MASSES, bile duct looks normal, organs look normal. Now then, more blood work, ast 811 and alt 800, ANA 1780, alkaline phosphatase 121, and now FERRITIN is 1780!!!

The doctor just seems to test for one thing at a time. right now he is convinced she has autimmune hepatitis. so she had a liver biopsy yesterday and we dont get results until next tuesday. we asked if he would take some blood to reduce her iron levels and he said no we have to wait until tuesday. Does she have that kind of time????

in the meantime, her iron may be destroying her organs or worse. what if we get to tuesday and he is wrong, then her iron is still too high. what if we get to tuesday and she has autoimmune is the prednisone going to treat her high iron? if she has autoimmune could she also have hemochromotosis? AND last question can the iron level be elevated because of the autoimmune hep and can the iron go down by itself???

any suggestions on where I could go elsewhere to get these types of questions answered?

with regards to allowing high iron and high ferritin to go untreated, does anyone know if the difference of a few days is incidental or critical with regard to delaying phlebotomy or blood letting?

thank you for any input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread