HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   Have you ever had problems with Milk Thistle? Share your M.T. experiences Plz! (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/516693-have-you-ever-had-problems-milk-thistle-share-your-m-t-experiences-plz.html)

Phlox 07-15-2007 11:47 PM

Have you ever had problems with Milk Thistle? Share your M.T. experiences Plz!

I was wondering if anyone has ever had problems taking Milk Thistle? Have you ever had any side effects from it, or bad interactions with other medicines, or food, or anything at all? Im not sure whether or not its worth taking, and Ive been wondering lately if it might be making some of the stomache problems worse? From what Ive been reading it doesnt seem to have many side effects, but Ive also been reading that there hasnt been any "official" testing done by governments yet.

So Im wondering if you could share your experiences with Milk Thistle---have you had any problems with it? Did it help you? Did you ever have a bad interaction with it? Thank you for sharing any experiences with Milk Thistle you have had!

1BadLiver 07-16-2007 04:25 AM

Re: Have you ever had problems with Milk Thistle? Share your M.T. experiences Plz!

I've never had any side affects from Milk Thistle, but everyone is different. My docs up north said "it can't hurt" when I told them I wanted to start taking it. That was about 5 years ago. My new docs here in the south don't care if I take it either. As I said in a previous post, herbal remedies are not FDA approved for medicinal purposes so the doctors CAN'T tell you to take them.
If you're having stomach problems.. do what I did. I would just stop taking one of the pills I was taking, one at a time, and see if that was what was causing my problems. Then I'd move on to the next one if that wasn't it. For example: My doctor told me to take Iron 3 times a day. I was having stomach problems so he told me to cut down to 2 times. Still having problems. The next time he saw me my iron level was near normal so he told me to cut back to once a day. Problem solved.
Like I said though, everyone is different.
Good luck!
Sandy

trojan23_us 07-16-2007 10:48 AM

Re: Have you ever had problems with Milk Thistle? Share your M.T. experiences Plz!

I've been taking Milk Thistle (3 pills/day @ 175mg each 80% standardized) since mid-April 2007 with no side effects...at least that I know of. I've been taken it for my fatty liver. You may notice that your stools may be looser but that is a result of the milk thistle stimulating your gallbladder to release more bile to aid in your digestive tract which in theory helps flush out more toxins from your liver...hence the benefits of milk thistle.

jeb1977 07-19-2007 06:56 AM

I been taking milk thisle for about 3 yrs now and still taking it.I haven't had any problems at all and I have a real sensitive stomach. I have proof that milk thisle helps with my blood work results, it helped my cholesterol, fatty liver and specially my liver enzymes. I was really skeptical at first but after reaseaching i decided to give it a try... my doctor actually was the person who "recommended" to take it, not prescription because like 1liverevil said is TRUE... HERBAL REMEDIES ARE NOT APPROVED BY THE FDA FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES....THERE'S HASN'T BEEN ANY GOVERNMENT STUDIES BUT... THERE HAS BEEN TONS OF CLINICAL STUDIES ON ACTUAL PEOPLE.. NOT RATS. HEHE!

by any chance does anybody know if there a way to attach my blood work here to show yall? or do I have type it?? (it may be illegal on this forum?! mods?)

eric5555 07-19-2007 09:28 AM

Hey Jeb, I've tried different ways to copy and paste an image into this post using different programs. It's seems to only accept text. Some forums allow functionality to allow image posting, but never seen it here. Here's part of mine and you could copy and paste and add your numbers in.

AST 52 (0-45)
ALT 20 (6-45)
Alk. Phosphatase 86 (34-119)
Albumin 5.1 (4.4-5.6)
Total Bilirubin .8 (.2-1.1)
Direct Bilirubin .1 (0-.3)
Globulin 2.5 (2.0-5.0)

Also, I have also been taken milk thistle. Only for 1 week though, but no problems. Actually seems to be help some, but too early to tell.

Phlox 07-22-2007 01:18 PM

Interesting...I was taking it once a day (200mg) because I wanted to start slowly, but I have started to take it twice a day now (2x200mg) to see if it helps. I wonder if there is any way to tell if it is helping, other than watching LFT's going down?

My bilirubin has been slightly high for awhile now, and my docs office is starting to think its normal for me. However, I have many of the symptoms of Liver problems, and I keep reading that you can have normal-normal/high results but still have Liver disease! This worries me a bit...between Uric Acid bloodwork not always being reliable, and now reading that can [i]sometimes[/i] be the case with LFT's it is a bit troubling. I asked at my docs office recently, and was told something like "its not common for it to be sneaky because enzymes usually show the damage, but it does happen." At least all of the other blood tests are trustworthy so far, hehe.

louie112 12-08-2007 06:01 PM

Does anyone use dandelion weed or burddock to help clense their liver. I bought it today and was going to start it. the homeopathic book said that these two things will help with a fatty liver.