It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Liver Enzymes Elevated Mystery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
    GodSideKurt
    (male)

GodSideKurt HB User
    Red face Liver Enzymes Elevated Mystery

Hey Friends! My GI Doc is still confused as to what is causing my enzymes to be elevated and my patience is running thin. We have done two MRI CPs in the past 6 months, both showing nothing but healthy insides.We feared PSC which is narrowing of the bile ducts which occasionally happens with Crohns patients. As well we have done numerous blood tests ruling out hepatitis and the usual causes of raised enzymes. I have been off all drugs and supplements for 2 months now and blood tests still reveal raised levels. I have occasional pain under my left nipple...about two inches down, right near the edge of my rib cage. my docs current plan of action is to "tread water" for a couple of months and see if the levels go down. If they dont...next will be a liver biopsy.

It should be mentioned that I was on Azathioprine (also 6MP - which has been known to mess with your liver) last November through mid Jan of this year...until pain and raised levels took me off of it. two monthes after being off of the drug my levels returned to normal. Than this summer pain returned and the doc had me tested revealing raised levels again! I had not re-started the drug. As well my grandfather on my dads side died two years ago of liver cancer. He was an alcoholic.

What is going on? Is there anything we havent done or should be doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
    joanie49
    (female)

joanie49 HB User
    Re: Liver Enzymes Elevated Mystery

Join the club as mine have been elevated for a year now. I have had every test you can think plus a biopsy and nothing shows except a small cyst from the MRI which they say means nothing. I go for a new set of blood tests next Wednesday and if they are still high he is going to put me on Zetia because my cholestoral is 231 and I have been off Zocor for about a year now trying to find out what is causing these elevated ezymes. I started to take milk thistle a few weeks ago hoping this helps. I have occassional discomfort on my right side by my liver but that's it beside the elevated enzymes. I was anemic a few months ago and the gastro doctor found small ulcers in my small bowel area that are not bleeding as of the last capsule endoscopy. My ferrtin was 3 and is now 54 so he is happy with that. Isn't it just great when we get these problems and no one knows what the cause is???

Closed Thread