It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• End Stages of Liver Disease???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
    roses4evver
    (female)

roses4evver HB User
    End Stages of Liver Disease???

Professional342 or anyone else who has experienced this...

Professional, I am so very very sorry for your loss of your dear brother. I hope somewhere you will be able to find peace within yourself.

I lost my husband suddenly to pancreatic & liver cancer last December and there's no time passing that truly mends the broken heart. I am also within your professional relm and am sickened by our medical community. My husbands livers tumors were completely missed and overlooked on his prior CT. Getting out to lunch was more important than making sure their job was done correctly that afternoon. Sure, he would have passed anyway because of how pancreatic ca works, but they cheated us both out of the knowledge & time (6 wks worth) of knowing we were going to loose each other. There was no time to prepare our hearts nor our minds as what was to come. My wonderful hubby was diagnosed Dec 18, 2006, in hospice care at home on 12/23, and passed away 12/31. Needless to say I was hospitalized for cluster migrain attacks 12/29 (almost lost my mind, suffered several TIA's because of the severity of the attacks), and could not be with my husband at the time of his death, & wasn't released until 1/03/07. I will never forgive those people that I had worked with for so many years.

Could you please be specific and tell us what are the end stages of having liver disease, what did you experience? There are many of us who would really like to know. I am 46 and am working closely with a family member and some problems of my own. If it is too soon for you to talk about I will understand.

Thank you!

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
    girlcat36
    (female)

girlcat36 HB User
    Re: End Stages of Liver Disease???

Hi Roses---so sorry about what you went through with your husband! My Dad died three days ago of liver failure. He first became jaundiced mid-July, and was hospitalized. He had ascites and high levels of bilirubin and ammonia. They drained his abdomen and he was released after 4 or 5 days. No one would tell us how long he had or what to expect. He was home for 1 1/2 weeks, then back to the hospital (Due to testing positive for Lyme and Babesiosis). He was again released (Aug 13)and on a regimen of antibiotics and diuretics, and told not to drive. Much of his time was spent sleeping. He was able to go up and down stairs still, but was on a restricted diet and basically didn't eat. Maybe a couple Boosts a day and some jello or oatmeal. At this point he seemed like someone who should still be in a hospital. At a doctors appt. on Aug.23 they called an ambulance for him, so he was back to the hospital. It was only at this point doctors even discussed him being terminal. His ascites was back worse than ever, and they drained some of it. We were then advised he should be discharged to hospice care at home. so he came home Aug. 27. Within 4 days he was in a hospital bed on the first floor, and only leaving the bed to use the bathroom. He was no longer taking any meds(refused lactulose--due to severe diarrhea).By Monday Sept. 3 he was in a coma. The coma lasted 4 days until his death on Sept. 7. So we went from a diagnosis with no clear cut prognosis to my father passing away in less than 2 months. This might not be the kind of info you were looking for, but I'd be happy to answer any questions. I myself was frustrated with the lack of info on ESLD out there.

Closed Thread