It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• what pain reliever is best if have liver disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
    george24
    (female)

george24 HB User
    what pain reliever is best if have liver disease

What pain reliever is best if you can't take acetaminophen due to liver disease, nor can you take ibuprofen because you have had gastric bypass surgery? I am in a real pickle here - and now I just found out Advil is Ibuprofen and Darvocet is acetaminophen - not good. Vicodin is aspirin and no good on the little tummy and gives me hallucinations and nightmares - so that is out! Help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: what pain reliever is best if have liver disease

just what type of pain are you trying to manage,that can make a difference in the best ways to try and manage it?your right about the darvocet having a verylarge amount of apap,way too much in my opinon.but vicodin does not contain any aspirin,it too has apap in it.but a smaller amount if it contains only the 325mgs of tylenol.it comes in different amounts.have you been told to not take ANY tylenol at all? in some cases,depending upon just what your liver issues are,some tylenol is actually okay,just not alot on a chronic basis.there are some narcotic type of pain meds that contain no tylenol at all or aspirin.one is basically like tylenol three but it has no tylenol,just the codiene alone,its called either codiene sulphate or phosphate,i can't remeber for certain,but its is out there.another is roxicodone,this would be equivalent to percocet but without the tylenol,just plain oxycodone.oxycontin for more chronic type pain is also an option that has no tylenol too.just some possibilities there for you.Marcia

Closed Thread