It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• End stage liver failure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
    brotherindenial
    (female)

brotherindenial HB User
    End stage liver failure

My 55 year old brother has abused alcohol since he was in his teens.He drinks every day, vodka shots as soon as his eyes open at 6 am. He was a functional drunk, but in the last few years he works here and there, not often and lives with my enabling mother. About 5 weeks ago, he turned very jaundiced, even his eyes. He has lost a lot of muscle mass in his upper arms, his stomach is very distended, red spots on his arms.
    He has no benefits, other than V.A. ( veteran's). He has been throwing up almost everything, can't keep salad and fruit down even. We feel he is not telling us the truth, told us he has stomach cancer. He says the doctors told him both lungs are filled with fluid. They gave him direutics and antibiotics. He has trouble swallowing and talking and is pain. He says he was told he has a year or two. Looking at him, and asking people I know in the medical field, they say he may be looking at more like a month or two. He won't let us drive him to the appt's or sit in with the doctor and take notes- because then we would know the truth. Because of Hippa laws we cannot get info from the dr. Does it sound like death is imminent?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
    iluvwv
    (female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
    Re: End stage liver failure

i am very sorry for what you are going through. my husband is in end stage cirrhosis. the strange thing about the disease is that one day they are on death's bed and the next day they are not. it is very weird. sorry, but i have no idea how long it will go on. for some, not long. since he is still drinking, it does not look good. again, i'm sorry.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
    brotherindenial
    (female)

brotherindenial HB User

I am sorry about your husband as well. Does your husband have any of the same symptoms as I mentioned? Thank you for telling me that one day they are seemingly at death's door, then the next they look okay. I saw my brother yesterday, and the jaundice seemed a very tiny bit better, but he has the chills, is anemic, and dizzy. There are only 5 steps to go from one level of the house to the other, and he barely can climb them.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
    iluvwv
    (female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User

yes he has all the symptoms you mentioned except yellow of the eyes. for some reason his eyes have not turned yellow, just the skin. it is a terrible to watch them go thru this.
    good luck.

Closed Thread