HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   Does anyone know about cirrosis? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/67952-does-anyone-know-about-cirrosis.html)

bert1 04-07-2002 05:22 PM

Does anyone know about cirrosis?

i went to my doctors the other day becouse i was getting pain under the right rib and he said its where my liver was, and becouse iv been been drinking ALOT he sent me for blood tests.

now im thinking i might have cirrosis.

do you know anything about it?

Emmy2 04-11-2002 12:42 PM

My Mom had cirrhosis so I unfortunately learned a lot about it. The most important thing right now is to stop drinking - especially if you don't know what is going on. I don't know what you mean by drinking "a lot" or how long you have been drinking but from what I understand, you really have to drink heavily to get alcoholic cirrhosis. Good Luck!

JetService 04-12-2002 08:58 AM

My father had alcoholic cirrhosis. His symptoms were severe. Edema in ankles and abdomon, internal bleeding in esophogus, etc. The doctor explained that he could arrest the progression of the disease if he removed the cause; his drinking. He quit cold-turkey and after a couple years of hospital outpatient visits and meds, his liver was back to functioning properly on its own. He was very lucky. Had he not quit drinking, he surely would've died within the year according to his doctors. From my understanding, if you catch this disease early and stop the cause immediately, the outcome is favorable, otherwise often fatal. I'm no expert, of course, but learned a lot from the experience, so I'm just repeating what I've comprehended from the professionals that discussed this with the family.

zazu79 06-13-2002 02:15 PM

[This message has been edited by zazu79 (edited 06-13-2002).]

Kamden 06-17-2002 02:33 PM

Your mother needs to find out the cause before you can help her. I have found that the library is very helpfull when I am looking up a disease, because I check out many books at once, and can take hours to read through them. If she cannot find the cause, there is still help for her through diet and nutrition. Good luck to you. I remember reading about milk thistle being very helpfull in regenerating the liver and helping it function properly. Good luck to you

Emmy2 06-19-2002 10:42 AM

LadyOutlaw/Elizabeth
Does your Mom have an alcohol problem? If so, the first step is to get her into some kind of treatment for that.

stefanieleigh8 12-08-2007 12:58 PM

Re: Does anyone know about cirrosis?

cirrosis of the liver is causes by long time alcohol abuse.
my mom was just diagnosed with it not even a month ago.
her legs were also very swollen and me and my dad finally got her to go to the doctors.
they took blood tests and it came back as cirrosis of the liver.
they told her if she has another drink she'd die.
so she stopped.
she's on multiple prescriptions to try to help her liver function the way its normally supposed to.
the only thing to do is to stop drinking and take medicine and just wait.
theres nothing else you can really do which sucks.