It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• high liver enzymes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #1
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User
    Post high liver enzymes

Hi, I was just thinking about something and wondered if anyone had an answer to this. I have high liver enzymes, my ALT is at about 80. My question is, if this is due to fatty liver, I have heard and read that in and of itself fatty liver is relatively harmless, but if my liver enzymes are elevated, does that mean that I am getting as much damage to my liver from it as someone with HepC? If your liver enzymes are elevated, it dosen't matter what is making it that way, right, it just means that damage is going on regardless, right? I heard Pam Anderson say she was in level one, and she has HepC, and I was thinking, since my liver enzymes are elevated, am I at some level also? My docs still aren't sure what is making mine elevated, one doctor I had says he suspects fatty liver since I had a sonogram that said that. And, my follow up HepC tests came out negative. I was just wondering if elevated enzymes mean the same thing if it's from HepC or fatty liver or whatever. Thanks for any advice! Val

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
    Frenchy33

Frenchy33 HB User
    High there. I have high liver enzymes and my ALT was 143 and mine is from a fatty liver. I don't drink and I am not over weight and I don't have diabetes. I am going for a ct scan again in Sept. I get these every 2 years. Does your doctor suspect a fatty Liver? From what Iam told so far they say I have nothing to worry about as they do blood tests every 3 months. So yes Fatty liver can cause live enzymes to run high. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Dennis

------------------
    Low back pain 1987
    Chiropractic care started 1988
    Fell on concrete pad on left side about 12 to 14 feet 12-26-1998
    Numbness and tingleing in right arm down to the finger tips 1998.
    Emg done by a nuroligist on 11-12-2001
    MRI of Lumbar showed bulge L3-L4,L4-L5,DDD and Herniated Disk on L5-S1
    4 ESI injections, 2 Faucet blocks
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Still fighting pain in Lumbar,upperback and cervical.
    Medication I take: Prevacid 15mg for acid reflux,Tenormin 50mg & Hydrodiuril 25mg for high blood pressure, and last but not least Sulfasalazine 1500mg a day for my back.
    I will try everyday to keep smiling!!
    Numbness and tingleing in right arm down to the finger tips 1998.
    Emg done by a nuroligist on 11-12-2001
    MRI of Lumbar showed bulge L3-L4,L4-L5,DDD and Herniated Disk on L5-S1
    6 ESI injections, 2 Faucet blocks
    1 awfull Discogram on 9-26-02
    Still fighting pain in Lumbar,upperback and cervical.
    Medication I take: Prevacid 15mg for acid reflux,Tenormin 50mg & Hydrodiuril 25mg for high blood pressure,Hydrocodone 750mg for pain and last but not least Sulfasalazine 1500mg a day for my back.
    I will try everyday to keep smiling!!

Old 08-18-2002, 11:13 PM   #3
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User
    Hi, and thanks for the reply!! I'm glad to know it sounds like it's not unusual for the enzymes are high due to fatty liver. Did you have a biopsy to determine that you had a fatty liver? My doctor said that I could do a biopsy if I wanted to, but that he knows it's a fatty liver, and that I need to just loose weight. Why do you have blood tests every three months? Do you have any extra weight in your abdomen? I am always worried that I have cirrosis cause I carry extra weight in my abdomen, and I think it's kind of out of proportion to the rest of me. I don't drink, just overweight. I don't have diabetes. I suppose right now I should be going on the diabetic diet, for one to loose weight, and to avoid diabetes, because I heard fatty liver is what people get before they get diabetes. I need to find a good book on it. I had a sonogram also, and it showed fatty infiltration of the liver. Anyway, thanks again for the advice! I hope you're doing better, sounds like you have a good attitude! Val

Old 08-22-2002, 10:11 PM   #4
    mushroom1997

mushroom1997 HB User
    Hi, I have high liver enzymes also. I took lipitor for my high chol. and prilosec for hyatal hernia. After the liver elevated I was taken off of everything to see if it made a difference. Just a slight drop but dr. says not enough. I will soon be going for more bloodwork (liver panel) and maybe biopsy. Reading all the posts on here have helped me see some connections (maybe.)Have family history of heart disease and diabetes. I have the hurting on my right side under (or behind) the rib cage and into my back at times. I have had a big weight gain this past yr. I used to drink beer but haven't for 5 yrs. I had CT, lower & 2 upper GIs and everything came back normal. Hepatitis tests were all ok too.
    Just wanted to share that I found all the posts informative and that I am going through some of the same.
    God bless you all

Old 08-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User
    Hi, and thanks very much for the response! I am still learning alot about fatty liver, and the thing that scares me, is that I am reading how fatty liver in and of itself seems to be realtively harmless, but that if the underlying cause is not reversed, then it can go on to a more dangerous form of fatty liver. I don't know if I should have a biopsy or not. My doctor didn't seem to think it was necessary at this point, as they are not totally without some risk. He said to just loose weight, and come back in six months to see if the enzymes have lowered. Did you take test for autoimmune hepatitis? I was wondering cause my first doc (who, unfortunately left the area) said that he thought it was fatty liver, but the next doc that I went to wanted to run some test for autoimmune disorders. I have a sonogram that says fatty infiltration of the liver, mildly elevated AST and ALT and GGT, and I am overweight. My hepatitis tests finally did come back negative, after the first one being positive. He said that I was unlikely to be positive for HepC since the last lab was the most sensitive one, going down to a sensitivity level of '5'. I know I probably should be going on the Diabetic Diet right now, I need to get a good book on it. I just hope what I have is fatty liver, and not something more serious. Well, thanks, and I hope you are doing good! Thanks again, Val

Old 09-04-2002, 05:41 AM   #6
    mushroom1997

mushroom1997 HB User
    Hi again, just wanted to post that I had lots of blood taken for tests (11 viles) and also had my liver biopsy. This was done last week on Friday so hope to know more by next week. The Dr did tell me to take 800 I.U. of vit E a day. I am also on a very low fat diet now. I am taking Welchol 625 mg. I take 3 with my noon and evening meal. This is to help lower the cholsterol and not suppost to affect the liver as it stays in the stomach and attachs with the fat that is eat during that meal. The fat is eleminated and doesn't get into blood stream. The medicine does not take care of the fat already in the system tho.
    I am very happy to say that the liver test did not hurt at all. I was very nervous about it too. I had a very good team working on me and I am sure that was a big part of it. I am anxious to get my results back but a little worried too.
    Hope everyone that is having problems with this is having good results after getting medical care.
    God Bless

Old 09-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #7
    bird123

bird123 HB User
    Elevated liver enzymes don't always mean ongonig liver damage. Before doing liver biopsy it is necessary to have a number of tests done to rule out most common causes of elevated liver enzymes, such as hemochromatosis, Wilson's disease, autoimmune hepatitis, alfa-1-antitrypsin deficiency, celiac sprue, etc.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:26 PM   #8
    ralve
    Inactive

ralve HB User
    Hi, yea that's what my doctor said, that he would wait and see if my enzymes came down before doing a biopsy. And, I guess he reasonably excluded other things by my other blood tests, and my sonogram. Sometimes when I read different things, it seems like elevated liver enzymes are not really that big of a deal, and that it's really common, and then other times, it seems like it's a really scary thing. Can it be dangerous if you have it too long, say if it's from fatty liver, and you don't loose the weight? I guess I have to keep checking on this, but it makes me so nervous to go for more blood tests, since I went through the nightmare of a false positive HepC thing. Well, anyway, thanks for all the advice! Val

Closed Thread