It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Chronic RUQ Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
    cincydiscgirl
    Inactive

cincydiscgirl HB User
    Unhappy Chronic RUQ Pain

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, so please bear with me

I have been plagued with chronic abdominal pain for almost 4 years now. This all started in 12/98 when I started having severe RLQ pain. After two months of negative labs and tests, I underwent diagnostic laparoscopy in 02/99. The general surgeon that did the surgery said that he saw what he felt was endometriosis, and referred me to my OB/GYN for follow up. After another three months, my OB/GYN reluctantly performed a SECOND lap (05/99), only to find severe pelvic adhesions (attached to my uterus, sigmoid colon, etc) which took 4 hours to remove. I awoke from this surgery and could immediately feel a difference in my pain (surgical pain was at this point nothing compared to what I had been going through).

Fast forward to 09/99. I began experiencing severe RUQ pain radiating to my back, which I knew to be highly indicative of gallbladder problems. The standard tests were performed (all labs normal, hyda-scan showing ejection fraction of 33%, normal gallbladder ultrasound). Two months go by. Pain is still severe and a third laparoscopy is performed in 11/99. My gallbladder IS NOT removed at this time, and my symptoms persist for another full year. (I took pain meds on a daily basis throughout this time.)

In November of 2000, after having lost 30 lbs in the previous month due to my inability to hold down so much as a glass of water, my GI doc decided it was time to "go with his gut" and send me to a surgeon to discuss removing my GB. The surgeon was sure this would fix my problem, and my cholecystectomy was scheduled for the following morning. I awoke from surgery, again with the wonderful feeling that I was "cured". . .the pain was GONE! I jumped up from the bed and hurried to go home (the procedure was outpatient)--the relief was THAT GREAT.

Now here I am, almost 2 years later. Since the time my GB was removed, I have experienced recurring RUQ pain, along with some RLQ pain. I have been seen at the Cleveland Clinic (where I was given a Dx of chronic appendicitis back in April of 2000), and I have been to the ER too many times to count. The pain is unbearable, and the most recent episode began this past Monday. After spending 9 hours in the ER for the standard tests (CT, blood work, etc), I was told that I had uterine fibroids and diverticulosis (I already knew both of these things). A surgeon came in to speak to me and did a very thorough abdominal exam. He said that he was able to palpate my liver and that was abnormal. Also said that the amount of pain I was experiencing would indicate something was going on (well duh! 3 shots of Demerol and I was still in agony). Just before leaving, more blood was drawn to do a liver panel. (Don't have results)

At this point, I am at a loss. The pain persists, and of course the doctors are 'fed up' with me. Every time I have had anything like this happen, there has been an organic cause. . .they always find something, it usually just takes a long time.

I know this has been a VERY long post, and I apologize. I really just wanted to put the whole 'story' down so that anyone who might have any information might be able to help me out. I have had the whole IBS workup (negative), I have had 2 colonoscopies (both showing chronic inflammation-possibly Crohns) and several EGDs. I have suffered from GERD since 1996, which is effectively managed with Proton Pump Inhibitors. I am basically a train wreck--LOL!! Oh, and I'm only 26!

Any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------
    "THEY WHO ENDURE CONQUER"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2002, 03:25 PM   #2
    margosuperstar
    (female)

margosuperstar HB Usermargosuperstar HB User
    hello discgirl...I have no advice , I just read your post and thought "wow" you're so young to be going thru all these medical problems but if you were an old geezer your body wouldnt be able to take it!!!!lol.... hey, was that a smile I saw? hope so .... I make funnies to get thru the hard stuff . Any way I just thought I'd post and c how you're doing...you havent posted in a few days... I'd like to hear that you're doing better but if you're not...
    well post anyway!!!
    take care
    margosuperstar

Closed Thread