It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's thyroiditis and autoimmune hepatitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
    Watersulli

Watersulli HB User
    Post Hashimoto's thyroiditis and autoimmune hepatitis?

This is long, but please read, I really need help and advice!
    Hi, I'm new here. Three years ago I went to the doctor with tons of symptoms and complaints. To make a long story short, they did an ANA test on me and that came up positive. After a couple doctors and a bunch of tests I ended up at a rheumatologist with a lupus DX. Then they found protein in my urine, so I ended up at a nephrologist's with "mild renal disease". Then they realized my thyroid was acting "bizarre" so they sent me to an endocrinologist as well. They ran a hundred tests on my thyroid and determined I have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis). Then my eyes started bleeding and they sent me to an opthalmologist, who diagnosed me with scleritis. Overall, however, I really wasn't that bad off. I went on synthroid to replace my thyroid (it is still enlarged though), prednisone for my lupus, especially the kidney and joint involvement (which I am now off), and plaquenil. The aching in my joints lessened dramatically, my lupus tests showed my disease was not active. I went to the rheumatologist last week and he was very worried.
    My white blood cells are always below normal, so that was standard on my blood work. The liver function test that runs on standard blood screen, however, showed a level four times above normal. He said it might be my medicine, then said that none of the meds I'm on cause that. He said I might have hepatitis, but we determined there is no reason I should have hepatitis. I left feeling like he was perplexed. He ordered another liver test to see if it might have been a fluke, and I went home and researched what those results might mean.
    Eliminating almost everything, I came up with autoimmune hepatitis. Considering that almost half of people with AIH also have thyroiditis, I was alarmed. I already know I have a positive AMA (ANAs against my thyroid), and these are usually present with AIH. I'm kind of freaking out and wondering what I should do now. How alarmed should I be? I hate to be a hypochondriac, but everytime I "might" have something, I get it. Someone please let me know anything if you have experience with AIH or thyroiditis. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
    whiskey

whiskey HB User
    Hypothyroidism can cause you to do some strange some like walking in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. It can cause you to have hallucinations, psychotic episodes, feel like you have hair stuck in your throat, cold all the time just a few things that has happened to me with this desease.

------------------
    whiskey

Closed Thread