It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• NASH diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-26-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
    LauraE25
    Inactive

LauraE25 HB User
    Thumbs down NASH diagnosis

Hi all- I was just diagnosed with NASH- non-alcoholic steatohepatitis this past week. I was told to lose weight slowly, take Vitamin E, and ursodeoxycholic acid (a bile acid) in hopes to stop the scarring. I'm teetering on cirrhosis so hopefully this will help! I have what so many of you describe- the discomfort under the ribs on the right side, and extreme fatigue if I do anything that requires effort. I'm hiring a trainer and nutritionist to help with the weight loss and healthier living.
    I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with NASH- if you had any success with decreased liver scarring and weight loss or use of vitamin E or the bile acid.
    Thanks!
    Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #2
    whiskey

whiskey HB User
    Laura, I have Nash and I know it is scary to keep getting abnormal liver function tests back after a year mine has stablized my doctor put me on a low carb high protien diet I such at the low carb but I can handle the meat he said the mear would help the pain weird huh? I thought he was nuts but it does help. My liver just got worse and worse when I first was diagniosed but It is'nt getting worse or better I a hoping it will start reversing now.

------------------
    whiskey

Old 07-30-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
    LauraE25
    Inactive

LauraE25 HB User
    Thanks for sharing Whiskey. I guess only time will tell how I do with losing weight and the meds my doc put me on. He told me I could either do Weight Watchers or Atkins diet, I picked WW b/c I'm a vegetarian and don't really have the ability to live off of protein alone. I can get adequate protein, but not depend on it for most of my food! Anyways, I'll keep that in mind though if I go back and things don't get better. Thanks!
    Laura

Old 07-30-2003, 12:09 PM   #4
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    Laura, a question for you, how did they finally diagnose NASH? Did they take a liver biopsy? You obviously don't drink right?

Old 08-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #5
    combatjim

combatjim HB User
    nash can be caused by diabetes- fatty tissue- i had a liver biopsy the report said Micronodular cirrhosis,
    i don't drink. so the cause is from uncontrolled
    blood sugars.

jim

Old 08-11-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by combatjim:
    nash can be caused by diabetes- fatty tissue- i had a liver biopsy the report said Micronodular cirrhosis,
    i don't drink. so the cause is from uncontrolled
    blood sugars.

jim
    Hey combatjim...the NASH that you had was not from uncontrolled blood sugars, but the high amount of fatty acids in your blood due to uninhibited action of hormone sensitive lipase....but that's only part of it. NASH is present in a small proportion of the population and your particular case may not have been associated with your diabetes at all.

Which type of diabetes do you have by the way? I or II?

Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 AM   #7
    LauraE25
    Inactive

LauraE25 HB User
    Projapoti-
    Yes, they did a liver biopsy. I'm so thankful I got one, that the doc didn't put it off b/c it showed I'm "teetering" on cirrhosis. I must be honest and say I wouldn't have taken the whole thing so seriously if I had not gotten the biopsy done. No, I don't drink. I think I literally had 2 beers in the past 2 years, lol. Of course I had tons of blood work to rule out other liver diseases including all the Heps. My ultrasound was normal but my doc had me get a biopsy done anyways. Thank God! Do you have NASH?
    Laura

Old 08-13-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
    projapoti
    Inactive

projapoti HB User
    No....I don't have NASH; however, I am very interested in going in to gastroenterology when I finish med school

Closed Thread