It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Milk Thistle Cured Me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 06:15 AM   #1
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
    Post Milk Thistle Cured Me?

Did Milk Thistle really cure my elevated liver enzymes? For 10 years I've had evelevated enzymes which made it almost impossible to get good health insurance. Only once in that 10 year period were my liver enzymes normal. The reason according to doctors was fatty liver. I was reluctant to get a liver biosy because all my other tests for any kind of liver disease, including ultta sound were normal. So last month I decide to try taking Milk Thistle. Just went to the doctor for my six month blood test for an under active thyroid. he did a liver function test and my liver enzymes were normal. They haven't been normal in 6 years. I couldn't believe it. Could Milk Thistle really work that well? I also started taking Vitamin E. But from what I read, that shouldn't have had an effect on my liver. Just wondering if anyone else has had simular results from Milk Thistle. This is almost a miracle cure for me because I've been turned down repeatedly for health insurance because of my liver tests.

The Following User Says Thank You to builder For This Useful Post:
    sarah2625 (06-24-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
    forreal
    Inactive

forreal HB User
    Good for you!! Yes, I think with the milk thistle and a proper diet, it is definately possible to regenerate your liver. I have also had elevated enzymes on and off for 10 years and do notice when I am eating the foods healthy for my liver and taking milk thistle it helps. I just got the liver cleansing diet book and will be starting that for 8 weeks then I plan to pick up on the south beach diet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 11-24-2003, 12:48 PM   #3
    Cldwv
    (female)

Cldwv HB User
    Re: Milk Thistle Cured Me?

Anybody else out there have good results with the Milk Thistle? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
    ilovethenow
    (female)

ilovethenow HB User

My friend's husband (seriously, not like a girl I know's boyfriend's mother's sister.....) was told by his doctor if he didn't quit drinking he'd be dead in however long....(his liver enzymes were extremely high). A nurse in the office suggested he try milk thistle and his liver enzymes have been COMPLETELY normal. My friend insists though that they only brand that works for him is from GNC, as when they tried the Walmart brand once, they were elevated again for that checkup.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #5
    thewind

thewind HB User

Did it have any kind of "short term" effect after taking it, like feeling more energy or just feeling generally better than normal, or any other postivie symptoms? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
    Dawn2778

Dawn2778 HB User

I tried milkthristle (Walmart) brand.. had great results in a 3 month period. Liver Foundation told me on the phone that they have had many many people with scerosis it cured. However you might want to call the liver foundation as well.. they have a phone number they can give you to check on a BRAND name milkthistle..

Last edited by Dawn2778; 02-03-2004 at 07:11 AM.

Old 02-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

I too was diagnosed only through a CT Scan with a fatty liver and have had elevated liver enzymes for about 7 months. I'm going for bloodwork Tuesday 2/17/04 and i have been Taking Liver Tonic for about 6 months now. The ingredients are 200 mg extracts of milk thistle, fresh toadflax flowering herb, Oregon graperoot, echinacea root, chinese licorice root, fresh greater calandine herb, fringe tree bark, culvers root and blue flag root. I also take 1000 IU of vitamin E a day..I will keep you all posted I pray that mine are down too like yours. You give me hope thanks for all your posts..Lisa

Old 02-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #8
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    are you tired, too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moxie75
    I too was diagnosed only through a CT Scan with a fatty liver and have had elevated liver enzymes for about 7 months. I'm going for bloodwork Tuesday 2/17/04
    Please let us know how it turns out, Why was it so hard to find the readings for the liver?

I was wondering whether you were also tired? There is a red blood cell ailment that often goes along with liver &/or kidney problems from some chemcals people are often exposed to in every day things. . . and it 'hides-out' too. RBCs seem borderline normal most times; but the RETIC ratio may give a clue if you are heading towards hemolytic anemia. The red blood cells are of low function because the mature red blood cells don't live & work for you for the normal 120 days; so there are more immature red blood cells made by the bone marrow. Concerns for bones, too

Old 02-22-2004, 06:45 AM   #9
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    Re: are you tired, too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dear Maggie
    Please let us know how it turns out, Why was it so hard to find the readings for the liver?

I was wondering whether you were also tired? There is a red blood cell ailment that often goes along with liver &/or kidney problems from some chemcals people are often exposed to in every day things. . . and it 'hides-out' too. RBCs seem borderline normal most times; but the RETIC ratio may give a clue if you are heading towards hemolytic anemia. The red blood cells are of low function because the mature red blood cells don't live & work for you for the normal 120 days; so there are more immature red blood cells made by the bone marrow. Concerns for bones, too
    Well the doctor never called me so I guess my blood results are good. I will call them tomorrow (Monday) to make sure. As for being tired..no never I am very energetic, I weight train and do cardio 6 days a week. I will let you know for sure about my blood tomorrow. I will have them fax me my results..Lisa

Old 02-23-2004, 05:50 AM   #10
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
    Well the doctor never called me so I guess my blood results are good. I will call them tomorrow (Monday) to make sure. As for being tired..no never I am very energetic, I weight train and do cardio 6 days a week. I will let you know for sure about my blood tomorrow. I will have them fax me my results..Lisa
    YAHOO!!!!! Milk Thistle must work my liver enzymes were normal and my cholesterol was great too...i will continue to lose weight and take the Liver Tonic 3 times a day..Lisa

Old 02-24-2004, 03:59 AM   #11
    Brendap
    (female)

Brendap HB User

Quote:
    YAHOO!!!!! Milk Thistle must work my liver enzymes were normal and my cholesterol was great too...i will continue to lose weight and take the Liver Tonic 3 times a day..Lisa

Lisa: Great news for you. Congratulations! What is the brand of Liver Tonic that you use...and is it basically the same as Milk Thistle? My enzymes are sporadically elevated, but I fear a trend here and would like to address it now if I can. Thanks, Brenda

Old 02-24-2004, 05:19 AM   #12
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    Cool Re: are you tired, too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendap
    Lisa: Great news for you. Congratulations! What is the brand of Liver Tonic that you use...and is it basically the same as Milk Thistle? My enzymes are sporadically elevated, but I fear a trend here and would like to address it now if I can. Thanks, Brenda
    Herbs ETC...is the manufacturer but if u read back on this same post you will see the ingredients i wrote before..good luck, Lisa

Old 08-03-2004, 04:49 AM   #13
    tigerboxer

tigerboxer HB User

The only milk thistle available here are Solgar capsules - containing 100 mg standardized milk thistle extract (seed) (total alkaloids including silymarin 80 mg [80%]) and milk thistle powder (aerial, seed) 350 mg. I'm taking 2-3 a day. Any feedback on that?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:49 AM   #14
    cherry12

cherry12 HB User

How much Milk Thistle should I take a day?

Thanks
    La

Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 AM   #15
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrydr
    How much Milk Thistle should I take a day?

Thanks
    La

It can depend on what you are taking it for. A site that I use for reseach suggests this

Alcoholism 120-175 mg 3 times a day between meals

Candida Overgrowth Syndrome 100-150 mg standardized extract in capsule form OR 1 tsp. liquid extract twice a day

Gallstones 100-175 mg 2 or 3 times a day

Hepatitis 150-300 mg 3 times a day OR 1/2 tsp. liquid extract 3 times a day

Psoriasis 120-175 mg of standardized extract or 1/2 tsp. liquid extract twice a day

Closed Thread