It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Lower right pain below rib cage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #196
    jeffreyrb123
    (male)

jeffreyrb123 HB User
    Re: Lower right pain below rib cage

sorry, that link is:just copy and paste

http://my.*****.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw117385.asp?navbar=hw117853

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #197
    rcnh
    Inactive

rcnh HB User

i would get a scan of my abdomen if i was having strange pain in my upper right quadrant....could be adenoma, or fnh? i would check it out, have you been on birth control?

Old 03-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #198
    adi

adi HB User

i'm yet another one with these conditions.. just come back from my doctor who is sending me to an endemetrologist (or however you spell it ) However, he couldnt actually feel anything wrong...
    I'm also due in for an ultrasound for a suspected aortic aneurysm (although thats just a routine precaution for another symptom he found).

I've found that the pain is worse when i sit.. i work on a computer all day and i'm thinking maybe the sitting is exaggerating it or even *causing* the pain. When i wake up in the morning the pain has normally gone.. is this the same for anyone else?

I can only describe the pain as if something is twisted, ranging from a dull ache to sharp pain.

It's kinda reassuring to know that you all dont know either

Last edited by adi; 03-01-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #199
    awkitty77
    (female)

awkitty77 HB User

ok I am new to this as well I have similar symptoms as all of you I have been all over the web and finally found this and find it comforting as I have felt very alone and scared. My pain began about 9 months ago and is at/under/below/around the last rib on the right side and once in a while in my back. My pain will last 2 or 3 weeks then be gone for maybe 2 months. Nothing and I mean nothing makes it worse or better it just comes and goes at 1st I thought it was a kidney infection just because that in the past was somewhat of a reoccuring problem for me but when I got the urine test there was no sign of that so then the pain went away and I did not think much of it until it came back. Now on the 4th bout or so in 9 month period I am truely worried and have not been to the dr. as I am more afraid to find out I am dying of something than to not know the pain can be dull or sharp and in the 3week periods may be there all day or come and go for no reason believe me I have tried to find a pattern in that yet so far goes away completely within a month at the most (knock on wood) I was a drinker not a raging drunk but enough every day for the past 2 years to where I was thinking if I quit it very well may go away but 3 weeks clean of alcohol and nothing has changed have I screwed up my liver this quickly am I dying is this my punishment for not being strong enough to deal with a problem in a different way than taking a drink I am so so so scared this site alone is comfort but I would really like some feedback if anyone feels like they would like to comment well at least I am not drinking now just hope I get the chance to last long enough to enjoy a life without being drunk every day like I have for the past 2 years Don't know what to do,ever been too scared to move?

I hope everyone is feeling at least ok today I know it is a constant worry and stress take care everyone

Last edited by awkitty77; 03-04-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:10 PM   #200
    awkitty77
    (female)

awkitty77 HB User

Sorry to write so soon but just thought of this maybe this will help some people, a few years back (I was about 23 then and this is not my current problem) I kept getting a stabbing,hot and dull pain all at the same time on my left last rib anyway as I said before I always think 1st of my kidneys since they gave me trouble in the past and anyway long story short at last a dr. found I had literally ripped my cartlidge that connects your ribs away from the rib and at 1st could not for the life of me figure how that happened because I had not done anything different yet my job was physically demanding and finally realized it was at work and so I quit doing that task and it took probably 7months to completely heal from (as at that time if I was not really and I mean really careful it would start to hurt all over again just when it would start to heal) but finally it did heal and now it just bothers me once in a while like if I do too many sit ups or really strain my abdomenal muscles further than what I should
    hope that helps someone at least

Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #201
    LINDA505
    Veteran
    (female)

LINDA505 HB User

To Bunchi
    I Know That You Posted Your Message Almost 2 Years Ago And I Hope That You Have Found Your Answer But If Not You May Want To See If You Have What Is Called Subluxation Of Your Rib. It Is Very Painful And Can Often Be
    Misdiagnosised As Having Heart Or Stomach Problems. It Is Mostly Diagnosed By Symptoms Described Rather Than Costly Tests.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #202
    christinalf
    (female)

christinalf HB User

I have been having some moderate pain just below the breast bone and goes to the right side that seems like it would be the liver. The questions I am about to ask is this pain is there pretty much through out the day every day and gone when I lay down could this be a sign of liver damage? I had a tooth infection not to long ago and was taking tylenol and ibuprofen right on schedule around the clock, if this is a sign of liver damage is this something that is curable?

Last edited by christinalf; 04-03-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #203
    Travel
    (female)

Travel HB User

Almost 35 years ago I began to have the pain in the lower right rib area, sometimes also in my back. I had numerous tests, xrays, etc., and no explanation was ever found. My doctor did ask whether or not I had ever taken large amounts of harmones, because sometimes they can cause this. I do know that I have cysts on the liver but doctors say they are not serious and probably not the cause of the pain. A doctor once told me that problems in the back could cause the pain to radiate around to the front rib area.

The pain has never gone away entirely. It has subsided at times, but I really believe that finally just giving up on finding the cause helped me to endure it. Every CT or other test I have had for other reasons over the years still show the cysts. I am right now having a "bout" with the pain. It started about two weeks ago when I became stressed over something else. What I eat or how much I eat does not seem to affect it one way or another. Of course, I realize that the present pain could be for some different reason entirely, since it has been so long.

I certainly understand the anxiety and need to get some answers. For me, no answers came but I have actually had pretty good health otherwise so maybe at least the reason for the pain has not caused any serious problems. Good luck to all of you.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #204
    trinity2427
    (male)

trinity2427 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Lower right pain below rib cage

How interesting to find so many people with the sam esyptoms that I have been experiencing. I first noticed the slight to moderate pain under my lowest right rib 5 or 6 years ago - it was fairly infrequent and seemed to last for only a couple of days. Recently I have been experiencing the same pain on and off for about two months. I had a physical just prior to the latest bout and all of the bloodwork turned up normal (I did not however mention this issue to the doc at the time since it didn't seem to be bothering me). It seems intuitive that one would assume the problem resides in the liver or gall bladder however I have not expressed any of the other systemic symptoms that would be present in a case of liver failure, or acute gallstones. I drink alcohol socially, but much less than when I was young and single - has anyone else noticed a correleation between alcohol use and the pain? Another thing I noticed that I did not see here on the board was that after a day particularly annoying, but still minor, pain when I am lying on my back in bed, I sometimes hear and feel a loud "gurgling" in the same area of the pain followed by immediate relief (though not complete) of the symptoms. Does this suggest some sort of duct blockage in the liver or gall bladder or perhaps an issue with the stomach/large intestines such as acid reflux (as per other posts)? Well I suppose thats about enough for now - any responses would be most appreciated. By the way, for you reference I am a 34 yr old male.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #205
    Travel
    (female)

Travel HB User

Christinalf, I hate to see your message go unanswered so will give you what little info I can. Acedominiphen (sp), i.e., Tylenol, can change the enzymes in the liver. I believe the enzymes go back to normal after you cease taking the drug. Other pain meds can also cause the changes in the liver.

As you can see from reading this thread, there are several things that can cause the pain, but it is not easy to determine which it is. If it is gallbladder, maybe cutting the fat in your diet would help. If it is a hiatal hernia, which is a possibility, try cutting caffeine and chocolate, eat small meals often and no food for two to three hours before bedtime. Sleep with your head elevated a few inches. If you have acid indigestion, antiacids can help. Also, of course, stop the pain meds, especially the Tylenol.

If none of these help, maybe you should have the doctor check you to try to find the reason. In any case, I wish you luck.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #206
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Just thought id pop in here and let you ppl know that on the digestive board there are ppl with the same rightsided pain.Its under (calling all rightsided rib pain ppl )Take care.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #207
    littledot
    (female)

littledot HB User

I've read all the postings here and my story sounds like so many of them that I'm shocked. My pain started around 3 years ago. It has been fairly constant since that time. I have had off and on elevated liver enzymes. I've had e-rays, CT scans, a colonoscopy, and an MRI. (The latter to look for hidden stones.) I had a HIDA scan which revealed that my gallbladder was not working properly. It came up a 14-whatever that means. No stones, just sludge. I wasn't too keen on having my gallbladder removed, so I tried fat free diet, which helped, but not completely. The rib pain continued despite the diet. Finally, last October had my gallbladder removed. The pain remained as did the periodic elevated liver enzymes. I switched doctors. The second doctor advised an ERCP and a sphinctorotomy. My gastro doctor said he couldn't see why else my liver enzymes were only periodically elevated. Two weeks ago I had the sphincterotomy. Well, the rib pain is still there. It is just under my right rib cage, and around to my back. Ibuprophen doesn't seem to have much effect. It is worse when I sit, and better after lying down all night. If I really compress the area, such as a sit-up, I get a cramp in the area which can be really severe. One note, there seems to be no correlation between the pain level and the elevated liver enzymes. Sometimes the pain is bad and the tests come up normal, and the reverse. I just want to say that I find it very comforting to hear so many people have a similar problem to mine although the medical people to whom I speak seem to think I'm a complete anomoly. I hesitate to return to the doctor. They keep offering tests and procedures to no avail. As one person wrote in the forum, their doctor said, if it were too serious, they'd be dead by now. Somehow I'm not finding much consolation in that. I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #208
    janmac50
    (female)

janmac50 HB User

I found this site the way all the rest of you did - trying to figure out what the discomfort under my right rib cage was. I may have figured mine out. I started having a strange full feeling in the liver area right after a mammagram showed signs of cancer. I had these pains for two weeks until the surgeon told me the x-ray had been misread, and I didn't have cancer at all. A few days later, I noticed the sensation behind my rib cage had stopped. I know during the two weeks I was waiting to find out what stage cancer I had, I was breathing funny. I think it was tension that caused that feeling. My second thought is that the mammogram pulled a muscle in that area. If any of this sounds familiar to you, that is what may also be wrong in your case. I hope so, because I no longer have a problem.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:11 AM   #209
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Littledot,

It sounds like a fatty liver to me. Get a CT Scan with the dye it will tell you if you have a fatty liver. Alot of us on this board have been told that and we all have that pain you speak of..Good luck, Lisa

Old 04-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #210
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I have this pain as well. Mine gets worse right after I eat. When I wake up in the morning, it's not there, but when I put food in my mouth, here it comes. I hope we can find out what this is. I had an ultrasound years ago that didn't show anything.

whackedback

Closed Thread