It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Lower right pain below rib cage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #16
    jskm

jskm HB User
    I have similiar pain which is on the left side of my ribs, or most ofter pressure and pain between my ribs, between the breast bone. I have costochrondritis. Sometimes it affects my breathing, and because it's on the left side, it can feel like I'm having heart pain.
    Ask your dr. about costochrondritis.

Sally

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #17
    etIII
    (male)

etIII HB User
    Question

Hello All,
    the only reason i came across this thread is the fact that my wife is asking about the same symptoms you all are expressing. what i can't figure out is why "cdebrot" hasn't asked for a second opinion about taking Tylenol#3 while preg.. i'm male and a father of 7, yet i've had my day in the dental chair and know what the long term affects of Codine can do (it's a morphine derivative/opiate/ addictive). to be taking Tylenol#3 with child-on-board is asking for long term trouble for the child. Please get another opinion Cdebrot. We care alot here for everyones health, even those who... will be...one day! take good care! etIII

Old 03-13-2003, 08:27 PM   #18
    jskm

jskm HB User
    I would check into something called "costochondritis."
    I have this, and there are many web sites you can go on which list your symptoms being the same as those who have costochondritis.

I currently have been diagnosed with this, however the dr's also found I have a mass (benign) on my liver which could also give me pain. The liver is on the right side near your ribs. You may want to ask your dr., if the pain continues, to schedule you for an abdominal MRI, or atleast an ultrasound. They found a mass on my liver when I was given an ultrasound, and then I had an MRI to confirm things.

Good luck!
    SC

Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #19
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Question

I am a member of this "No Name Pain Group" and I would like to find an answer along with the rest of you. I started having this rib pain in November 2000. It comes and goes....mild to very bad. I have not been able to find out what causes it or what can make it go away. I find it interesting that others have had the same exact pain: right rib, intense to dull pain, like something hot pressing in under the last rib, sitting makes it worse, not related to what I have eaten, etc.

I have had many tests including: colonoscopy, x-rays, bone scan, gall bladder ultra sound, abdominal CT scan, MRI, etc. It has been blamed on: pressure from fibroids (had them removed), pinched nerve in back,(had x-rays and MRI to disprove this), muscle strain, posture, stress, etc. I cannot finger any one thing that applies every time I have this pain. One interesting note: when on vacation in Las Vegas...three times now...I have not had this pain at all. My family has exhausted every reason we can think of.

I am beginning a new doctor tomorrow in hopes of finding out what this is and what can be done to stop it. Thanks for letting me join the group and I will be happy to answer any questions you have and more than happy to recieve any answers you may be able to give me. Su

Old 04-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #20
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    I did visit my new doctor yesterday and after reviewing all my records and also this chat board which I copied off for him, he did a physical exam of my right rib area. He pulled up on the rib cage and manually felt underneath and could feel a loose cartiledge moving around, I could feel it too. He says it is costo-chandral seperation (slipped rib syndrone) which means part of the cartiledge attaching the rib has been broken off and is in my rib cage floating around. It can become inflamed. Surgery is not an option. He suggested I wear a rib belt to see if this helps. I can trace this to a fall I had in November 2000 which was a terrible fall. I saw a doctor after this fall and nothing was found to be wrong. Apparently this was not evident then or was overlooked. Has anyone else experienced a fall or a blow to the ribs before their pain started. Please let me know. Hope this helps someone else understand what is wrong. su

[This message has been edited by Miss baby borger (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #21
    ladybug7064

ladybug7064 HB User
    I too have this pain, off and on. I also have, or so I am told, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have loose stools every morning and right after I eat sometimes. Does anyone else with this pain have this too? I am just wondering if it related somehow.

Old 05-05-2003, 08:52 PM   #22
    stupormom

stupormom HB User
    Hi, Everyone!

I did a Google search on "rib pain, lower right," and this site was the first one listed. A couple of the posts seem like they could relate to what I am experiencing.

I have had an intermittent, usually sharp, stabbing pain along the lower right portion of my rib cage for several months now. Sometimes it's a burning sensation. It came on rather suddenly, and was pretty much always there just long enough (4 or 5 days) for me to decide one evening that I really needed to see a doctor. Then the next morning it was markedly less intense and not always there, so I still have not seen a doctor. Over time it has subsided even more in intensity and frequency, but the shape of my rib cage seems to be a little different than I remember. It seems to have a bit of a bulge along the lower edge, toward the center, where the pain usually occurs. I have never been able to relate this back to an activity that might have caused an injury, and don't have any symptoms that are usually associated with an organ failure or disease.

However, I am in middle-age (female) and have never had a COMPLETE physical exam. I finally have one scheduled, and will post whatever I learn about my own problem, as it may shed some more light for someone else. Also, if anyone has any more suggestions on what I might ask my doctor to look for, I would sure appreciate it.

Good Luck to all, in the search for anwers!

Old 05-09-2003, 06:04 PM   #23
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    I think it is important for you to make a list of the times and dates that you have had this pain and list common causes: did you have gas at the time of the pain, had you lifted something heavy the day before the pain, had you slept on that side before the pain started, did you have a large or spicy meal just before the pain started????? Take this list with you to the doctor.

I urge you to keep your appointment, it is time for you to have a complete physical exam. Good luck, will be thinking good thoughts for you and waiting for you to post your answer after you see the doctor. Su

Old 05-15-2003, 11:30 PM   #24
    priceboxers

priceboxers HB User
    HI everyone. I'm up tonight having a pain in the bottom middle of my ribs that goes over to the right side. I did a search for right rib pain and here you all are. I didnt realize how many people have what I have. Its not all the time. Maybe once every two months or so but when it strikes boy does it. I didnt get this problem till late pregnancy with my first child. I would bend over and clean the floor. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle or something. After I had him it didnt happen again till mid pregnancy with my second and hasnt gone away since. The pain is unbeable some times and I cant sit, lay, sleep, eat. Nothing makes it go away. The area under my right rib is tender when you push on it. I've read through some most the post on this thread. Has anyone found anything that will make it go away? or something that I can at least ask my doctor to check? Lots of you have had complete physicals with tons of tests done and havent found anything. there has to be something wrong with us. I mean honestly how often do you meet tons of people with the same problem and nothing is wrong. It seems to happen mostly at night and by the morning is gone. I used to think it was heartburn cause it comes whenever I eat pizza or for the most part but not every time either. After dinner it hits within a couple hours and usually lasts me most of the night till I'm so tired I fall asleep and then wake up and its gone. I dont drink or have a history of liver problems. Has anyone had the doctor think it was something other than that? Any help will be appreciated. I'm going to see if I can get into a doctor anyway even if the pain is gone tomorrow. Its happening so often that I cant ignore it anymore. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:18 PM   #25
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Although my pain has been diagnosed as a piece of cartiledge from the right lower rib... it is still hurting. Sometimes I find some relief if I take two Gas-X pills with my pain pill. I don't know why this works and neither do my doctors and I have consulted many. I believe that pain causes stress, stress builds up causing tense muscles, tense muscles cause pain and also when you are tense you tend to build up gas. A cycle is then set up. This is just a personal theory of mine.Try a heating pad and laying completely flat and stretch out as much as possible. Hope this helps, let me know, Su

Old 05-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #26
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    After giving this latest writer some thought...I wonder if you could not have popped a rib loose while you were pregnant the first time? If your internal cavity had filled (with baby) and there was pressure on the ribs, maybe you did pop a rib and after you had the baby the pain went away till you were pregnant again, thus re-hurting that rib and this last time it was a pain that just stayed with you. Ask your doctor if this is possible. I have the the tendernes just under the lower right rib and when the last doctor I saw pulled up my rib cage and felt under it, he could feel a loose piece of cartiledge. I have been doing some yard work and mine is very bad right now. I have times when it is completely gone and now I believe it is related to strain, re-hurting that rib and then going into the cycle I mentioned above. You see, gas would put pressure on your rib also. As I have mentioned, the only time my rib has completely stopped hurting is when I am on vacation and during that time I lift absolutely nothing...except a fork...and I eat everything at buffets and do not have the pain. I just think it is as simple as straining that rib. The cure is not simple and the duration of the pain is not funny. Hope you find relief.Su

Old 05-18-2003, 09:59 PM   #27
    Bettyt

Bettyt HB User
    Lightbulb

anyone suffering from pain under thier right rib and are or have been pregnant should look into HELLP syndrome.it's very interesting.

------------------

Old 05-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #28
    HRATL

HRATL HB User
    did you ever find out what was causing your pain? Just checkin in to see....

Old 06-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #29
    Jestek

Jestek HB User
    Lightbulb

I too am a member of the pain or discomort under the lower right rib cage. I have had two physicians debating what it really is...Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Costocondritis. Now, a third is running me through new tests.
    My symptoms are similar to others on this board... after eating is when I notice the discomfort increases. At bed time it is hard to get comfortable. I also get discomfort when driving, I find myself adjusting my sitting position while driving.
    I had it before I was pregnant, not as bad as now. It seemed to disapear during my pregnancy. I understand that your body changes during pregnancy. I breast fed my son for one year. A few months after I stopped breast feeding it was back. But now it seemed worse than before. At one point the pain got so bad that my doc checked me for gallstones. My doc felt it was IBS, I went through the several tests...all coming back "normal". As well as feeling like a lab rat with "trying this or that" and see what happens. My primary care physican sent me to a digestive disease doctor. Right before he did, he put me on 10mg of Paxil. I did notice an improvement. He said that stress can manifest itself in many ways and it would hurt to give this a wirl.
    The digestive disease doc started the tests again. And trial drugs. I had been on the Paxil for about 5 months when I noticed the discomfort was coming back. I discontinued the Paxil. About this time the D.D. doc ask me a few questions and he felt I had costocondritis. He put me on Vioxx for about a month & a half to two months. It seemed like a miracle! When I went off of it(late spring 2002), I was great all summer UNTIL winter. Cold weather had seemed to bring it back as well as an additional stress load. I have noticed that when I am under more stress AND the weather is cold & damp is when it really acts up. I am currently back on Paxil. I have also started a Tai Chi class to help with the stress control in hopes of getting off of Paxil. The warm weather of this summer did not take the discomfort away this year(2003). I am seeing the third doc who has had me do blood tests for my organs in that area, a CT scan, Back x-ray & rib x-ray. So far he has found out that I have slightly elevated bad cholesterol and at some point in my past I had fractured my 7th rib on the right side that I do not remember doing. I now am going to have a bone scan to see if there is "activity" in the area. He said to see if there is inflammation inside the bone or in the cartilege around it. Also a test to see if my gallbladder is functioning correctly. It is sad that I am hoping they find something wrong, just so I know what it is. I am back on the Vioxx. It does help to ease the discomfort. I will let you know the results of the next round of tests.

[This message has been edited by Jestek (edited 07-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Jestek (edited 07-10-2003).]

Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #30
    rsg
    Inactive

rsg HB User
    For a lot of you it could be known as gall bladder pain have a HIDA scan with CCK, to check sonograms do nothing if there are no stones, only disease or non-function. Or for REAL fun.....check out the rsg/Den G posts

Closed Thread