It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

• Lower right pain below rib cage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2003, 04:42 AM   #46
    daveashford

daveashford HB User
    Just found this thread. Like a many of you, I've been having this curious tender sensation just below my right ribs. Thought it was a muscle strain, but has persisted for a couple of months now. Very strange. It's not really painful but I'm aware of it most of the time. It's more noticable when my shirt touches the skin, although it doesn't really feel like it's right on the surface, nor does it feel like it's deep inside.

Just starting to go through the testing regime at the doc's. Chest x-ray was fine. Been searching on the net, maybe a ventral hernia? Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 09:53 AM   #47
    meechie

meechie HB User
    I have been up since 3A.M. My lower right side below the rib cage has been hurting all morning. It is so tender that I can touch it and feel exactly where the pain is. When I touch this tender spot it automatically goes to my back. I have been feeling this for a very long time. I have no clue what it is. But sometimes I really do think it has something to do with my gall bladder.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:46 PM   #48
    hacomommy

hacomommy HB User
    Wink

I also have had this horrible pain, I had my gallbladder taken out in Aug 2000 then I got pregnant with 2nd child in Sept 2001 and around my 3rd month I began having this terrible pain under the last 3 ribs on the right side, I have been to the ER several times and one CT scan did show inflamation of the terminal ileum which required a colonoscopy to diagnoise Chron's diease but all GI test came back normal, I have been to the neurologist with no abnormal diagnosis doctor said he could diagnoise me with IBS but he did not feel confident with that and suggested me seeing a GYN for a complete follow thru so I have tried motrin 800 mg, neurontin pain pills, vicoden, tylenol 3 and Asacol for ulcertive coloistis but no relief from any of the above So I had my normal pap exam last month and told the new doc everything she ordered me a abdominal and pelvic ultrasound I am awaiting the results, although I can say whil having these ultrasound I expressed to the tech that it was very painful when she ran the doppler over the last 3 ribs she stated that was very odd and that the pain is not from an internal organ becasue she was only touching the skin ,cartildge and ribs so now after reading these post I am wondering if it is as simple as inflammed rib cartlidge and celebrex could help me? I am willing to try anything, and I did have an injury to my right rib cage but it was back in 1997 so why would it start hurting so many years after, all I know is my pain is getting to be unbearable and I too want reliefe like the rest of you....
    good luck to you all and please respond if you can help me.

------------------
    ASB

Old 08-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #49
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Unhappy

Do any of you people have any relief??????? I do hope fi someone gets an answer or gets relief they will write in and let the rest of us know. I have had an expecially bad two weeks of this pain with no more reason than I had before...just unrelenting. Another doctor visit resulted in getting sympathy and a smile and not much else from the doctor. I tried the rib belt and it did not help, seemed to push in on the pain more. The only consistant thing is that I do have gas when I have this pain. Any news from any one?????

Old 08-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #50
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Unhappy

Anybody have any news, anybody get any help or relief???Please let us know if you do have any relief or news. No one has written in for a long time. My pain stays bad. Anxious for news from anybody.
    Have any of you made a connection between this pain and laxative use? There may be something there to look into. I have read that laxatives can dry out your colon and if this is at all related to irritable bowel syndrone....it may be that laxatives bring on the pain. Anybody out there agree? Su

[This message has been edited by Miss baby borger (edited 08-28-2003).]

Old 08-25-2003, 04:22 PM   #51
    Carnie

Carnie HB User
    I am afraid I have bad news for everyone. My pain (which you all describe perfectly) started when I was pregnant with my third child. I attributed the pain to her kicking me under the ribs. That was 24 years ago!! The pain has come and gone over the years, but about five years ago it came to stay. I have had xrays, ultra sounds, gall bladder tests, liver tests...all to no avail. One doctor blamed it on Costochonditis (spelling?), but all of them (and there have been several) are mystified. The lastest development is that when I bend over to the extent that I put a lot of pressure on my stomach, I get a severe pinching/cramping pain with a bulge. When I press on the bulge I can "massage" the pain away. I just had an episode of this today and now my ribs hurt and I have that feeling like something is stuck under them. I can no longer sleep on my right side because of the sensitivity (it feels like the sheets or my bed clothes are gathered up under me), and I must lean back when I sit when the pain is at it's worst or at least be sure to sit perfectly staight up. I really wish that someone had an answer. I do have fibromyalgia also, so the doctors tend to blame everything on that. Good luck to you all!! Let me know of any new thoughts. Thank you!!

Old 08-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #52
    hacomommy

hacomommy HB User
    Hello everyone, well I had my ultrasounds done on the 12th and went back to the DR today for results and it did say I have a 1.2 cm cyst on my liver but DR says this is common and would not be the cause of my pain she is referring me to a general seurgeon becasue she is baffled at what this could be, so like the rest of you I am at my witts end with this very uncomfortable pain, it has actually became more of a pressure sort of pain on my ribs, heard it could possibly be broken cartlidge betwen ribs but not sure , I also heard from someone who had similar pain and went thru prolotherapy and came out pain free but most insurances do not cover this therapy here is a website to check out,http://www.prolotherapy.com/prolodefine.htm

Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #53
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Talking

Don't be too concerned about the cyst on your liver, my sister found she had those too but is syptom free, it has nothing to do with the rib pain. It is interesting to me that you have the loose cartiledge theory that I have in my earlier notes to this board. I too feel a pressure pain. I appreciate the site you mentioned and intend to look it up, thanks for writing. su

Old 08-31-2003, 04:18 AM   #54
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
    I have a .5 cm cyst on mine which is the size of the top of a AA battery..nothing to worry about my GI man said it is very common in a alot of people. I had discomfort too there but I believe it is from a fatty liver and the discomfort has gone away after taking this liver tonic for a month now..i use to have costolchindritis from a chest tube years ago and that went away after 5 years..that is very painful like i use to feel like i was having a heart attack..Lisa

------------------
    ON THE WAY TO CAPE MAY!!!!!

Old 09-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #55
    witchesway13

witchesway13 HB User
    I am now experiencing my ribs sticking out even more. It is about 2 inches wide and elevated about an inch and a half. It hurts really bad after i have eaten. But it still hurts when i am hungry. Does anyone of you have this deformity going on???

Old 09-03-2003, 07:29 PM   #56
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Question

I do not have any sign of swelling or distention. I "feel" like it is sticking out as it feels like there is something hot pressing agains my lower right ribs, also there when I am hungry, also there when I have just eaten, like someone else said, I would like to open my side and take this "hurt" out of there. I do wish someone who has received help would write to us. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 AM   #57
    painintherib

painintherib HB User
    Hi. I've been having a similar problem. It's awful. It started when I was 24. I'm 27 now. I've had multiple scans for it with zero results. I went 5 doctors for this. All have said it sounds like nothing since I look healthy. Put it feels like a knife going into me. Worse yet, it feel like something is sizzling. I've used that description before, and I have gotten some looks. But that's what it feels like! Like there is a piece of bacon in there and, well, it's sizzling. I went to the ER for it, and the doctor there suggested a full MRI. He said doctors fail to give them because of insurance. That is what I plan to do when my insurance kicks in next week. This same doctor was smart and telling me that the body is strange. A pain felt internally can not be pin-pointed. I may feel it in under my right rib, but it may be very faraway from that area, which is why an MRI is really needed. I had another doctor tell me I have Crohn's disease, which I just think is ridiculous. Anyway, I hope everyone here will go and get an MRI. That smart doctor also told me that ultrasounds are often ineffective! I've had 4bbbbbbbb of them, the bulk of which I paid out-of-pocket. Hope you guys figure it out. Maybe it is a muscular problem. I started lifting weights at 23, so maybe its related somehow. Weird to think it might be just a piece of inflamed cartilige. Maybe that's what I mean by sizzling bacon. Gross!

Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM   #58
    bunchi
    Inactive

bunchi HB User
    Angry

Glad to hear from a new member, do regret it that you have this pain. I have said all along it is a hot pain, I feel like there is something hot under my rib just burning and pushing.
    I think that smart doctor should go back to school. If you had Crons (spelling) disease you would know it. I have had MRI testing and it has not shown anything. If you get any news let us all know. I do believe there is such a thing as referred pain as he mentioned but then why do so many of us have the same pain in the same place all of the time? I find that if a doctor does not know what is wrong with you, they want to dismiss you and tell you there is nothing wrong with you. They like cases they can solve. Let us hear from you as soon as you have your MRI. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:33 AM   #59
    cantfind12

cantfind12 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by GMS:
    HELLO EVERYONE,
    WELL IT LOOKS LIKE I JOIN ALL OF YOU WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS. I HAVE HAD MY PAIN IN THE RIGHT SIDE JUST BELOW/UNDER THE RIBCAGE FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS NOW. THE PAIN IS SLIGHT TO MODERATE DAY IN DAY OUT. I DO GET A RELIEF FOR A DAY OR 2 BUT IT JUST SEEMS TO COME RIGHT BACK AGAIN. SYMPTOMS INCLUDE BURNING FEELING, PAIN IN BACK, EVEN PAIN ON LEFT SIDE FLANK, FEELING OF FULLNESS, GAS, VERY TENDERNESS ON RIGHT SIDE, MUCUS IN THE STOOL, I ALSO NOTICED THAT IT GETS WORSE WHEN IM HOLDING MY 17 MONTH OLD SON IN MY ARMS BUT ONLY ON THE THE RIGHT SIDE. I TOLD ALL OF THIS TO MY DOCTOR AND HE ORDERED AN ULTRASOUND FOR ME, THE RESULTS CAME BACK AS A SPOT ON THE LIVER BUT A CLOSER CHECK WAS NEEDED AND HAD ORDERED A CT SCAN W/IODINE IV. GOT THE RESULTS TODAY AND THEY SAY ITS "FATTY INFILTRATION OF MY LIVER" NOT REALY SURE HOW BAD THAT IS. BUT I NEED TO CALL THE DOCTOR BACK.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
    HOPE THIS HELPS YOU..TAKE CARE.. AND GOD BLESS.

GMS

Old 09-16-2003, 09:42 AM   #60
    cantfind12

cantfind12 HB User
    Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this site. I too have RUQ pain. I have spoken with many people (medical and non-medical) and have gotten very conflicting information so I'm hoping someone here can help. My initial thought was gall bladder because a friend had the identical symptoms and it turned out to be gall bladder sludge but her pain went away. My doc sent me for a sonogram which showed fatty infiltration of the liver but everything I've read and heard says that it is very very unusual to have pain from this. Another friend who is a former sonographer told me that a sonogram often does not show gall bladder problems without proper procedures such as dies etc. I had a bone scan which showed a broken 9th rib but after approx. 4 weeks the doc said it was healed and was no cause for the pain. I'm a little nervous worried about liver problems but the GI I went to just laughed when I asked about a liver biopsy and told me cirrosis was highly unlikely the cause. Any ideas....thanks

[This message has been edited by cantfind12 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Closed Thread